Albums You Initially Appreciate But Now Wonder "What Was I Thinking"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I am sure there are many examples of this type of thing over the years. I am looking for those albums you initially liked but then over a fairly short period of time you changed you opinion of fairly quickly and wondered, "what was I thinking".

I don't necessarily mean albums or styles that over a long period of time your musical tastes and interests changed. I think that happens to all of us but again that the change in attitude from like to dislike or disinterest happen in a fairly short timespan.

One example for me is:

Joel Frederiksen
    Requiem For A Pink Moon
    "An Elizabethan Tribute To Nick Drake"

Being a lifelong fan of Nick Drake my initial impression was that this was a unique and creative interpretation of his works but it only took a few listens for unique and creative to become mundane and boring.

Any examples of your own that went from inspired to uninspired?

2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Possibly the Stevie Ray Vaughan albums I bought. I was initially a huge fan of his over-the-top guitar virtuosity, but after hearing Peter Green, SRV's approach seemed almost ridiculous. However, I still like certain of his songs, like "Couldn't Stand the Weather" or some of the rave ups like 'Rude Mood' & 'Testify' where his style of playing makes sense.

3. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

Pink Floyd - The Wall (Actually the FIRST ROCK ALBUM I ever heard.)

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien

At the time it was a fun and unique guitar overdose. Now I find it dull and schmaltzy.

Brudy likes this.
  5. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i have three red hot chili peppers cd's!!! i don't know why now and feel ashamed to still have them!

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I like this topic. It's sort of like a "guilty pleasures" thread in a mirror universe. :p

Shh, don't tell @BradOlson , but for me it would be Stryper, Bloodgood, Deliverance, Petra (especially John Schlitt era), and most of the other late 80's-early 90's Christian rock and metal I listened to as a high schooler. I don't own any of that music anymore. But it was almost all I listened to for years. And once in awhile, I get nostalgic and start surfing youtube. When the nostalgic feelings wear off after a few minutes, I always say, "What in the H-E-Double Hockeysticks was I thinking with this stuff??!!"

Most of it suffers from being a bad imitation of music that hasn't aged well anyway (especially the hair metal styles).

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I don't like this topic. I generally dislike threads about disliking or becoming disillusioned with music, encouraging people to present themselves as duped fools and to diss music that other people love. And disguising the general pejorative effort with a good-natured sounding tone of "this will be fun to talk about!" somehow makes it worse IMO.

ian christopher and Scopitone like this.
  8. Scopitone

I see where you're come from, but I think it's all in the tone of the thread. "Write a post about everything that you think is terrible" is one kind of thread.

But a playful, "I can't believe I used to like that album!" topic that - hopefully - pokes fun at ourselves and admits the reality of shifting tastes feels like a different thing.

Of course, it's not hard for it to become mean-spirited.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Patrick Moraz "Co Existance" 1980 for me

10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Looks like your thread has started to get off track with most people talking more about a change of personal taste in music, instead of just something more akin to the new glow wearing off, followed by a more realistic appraisal.

Lots of those over the years, could probably look back through some of my old posts around here and pick out a few :) Usually more just a matter of over-enthusiasm, I don't often wind up later disliking something that I initially thought highly of.

But on your Nick Drake quest, did you ever hear Duncan Sheik's Phantom Moon from 2001? Not a tribute, but I think the name was intended to be an acknowledgement of one of his main musical inspirations. I think I've read that he even performed the entire Pink Moon album during at least one of his shows, and has the occasional Drake reference in his music. Anyway, on Nonesuch and a really nice recording and mastering as well, went by kind of overlooked at the time. Looks like DR Database rating is 11, and it does have much better sound than most pop releases since that time... http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/phantom-moon

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. Scopitone

D'oh!

I misread the initial post, so I definitely went off-course. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.