Albums You Love But Most People Dislike

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Groovy, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Most people don't know much about King's X, but those who do generally hate their throwback album, Black Like Sunday. They re-recorded a bunch of songs they used to play in their very early St. Louis club days. Most of the songs are very dated, but I think it's a great power pop album.

2. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog

Aurora likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Pocket Full Of Kryptonite!

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

My usual go to list of sophomore albums. For some reason, I love the second albums better. The band's settled into their contracts...they're pros on the road and they're comfortable in the studio, and they get to try out "pet songs" that they held back from the first "make or break" record.
    Pretenders II
    VH II
    You're Gonna Get It
    Strange Days
    Communiqué

5. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Lennon - Mind Games
    Ringo - Ringo the 4th
    McCartney - Press to Play
    McCartney - Pipes of Peace
    Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three
    Eurythmics - We Too Are One

6. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

OK, here goes:

"Saturday Night Fever". The Bee Gees take a royal beating damn near everywhere, but those guys were pop geniuses in my book. And they wrote those tunes without knowing anything about the movie. Stigwood just gave them a title and they wrote that stuff in one weekend.

7. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

That explains a lot:D

john lennonist likes this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Two Sides of the Moon and Schmussycats.

Phoenician likes this.
  9. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Hey, it's guilty pleasures time. I'm guilty as charged. :shrug:

10. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

Ignore me, Brut, especially because I´ve never even heard this record. I only know Staying alive, which I like, not because of it´s artistic merits, but because it´s hilarious!

11. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

False Start - Love

DTK and James5001 like this.
  12. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I've been a Todd Snider fan since I heard Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues on the radio in the summer of '95. His third album, Viva Satellite, is much rocky-er than the rest of his output. I love it. His fans seem to not.

13. WilliamPoe3

WilliamPoe3 Active Member

Magical Mystery Tour.

I wouldn't say most people dislike it, but it's definitely disregarded most of the time and seen as an illegitimate Beatles album, especially here. It's perhaps my favorite Beatles album, period. I love Sgt. Peppers but sometimes I think Magical Myster Tour is what Pepper could've been. It's not a knock on Pepper but the production on MMT is just flat out better.

14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Yeah I love Youthanasia too and played it equal times to Cryptic Writings. They're sister albums to me.

Thouston and Soundslave like this.
  16. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Yea, it's uneven but has some really good songs I guess you could say that about all the non-classic era Love albums.. Out Here & Reel to Real are a couple I've been spinning lately.

Robert Parker and Mr wiggles like this.
  17. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

exactly, haha) I think I still played Youth a bit more and to me it sounds a little bit more on a metal side rather CW, but they're sister albums indeed :D

onionmaster likes this.
  18. Cipresso

Cipresso Forum Resident

The Beach Boys - M.I.U. In my top ten BB albums, in many fans' (one of) the worst.

19. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Miles Davis "You're Under Arrest". The jazz purists dislike it and call it 80s elevator music but I'm fond of it myself. It was a door to jazz for me when it came out.

20. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Yeah, although my fave track on CW, The Disintegrators, was something of a return to the earlier metal sound of Megadeth (although it has a bit of MD.45 bluesiness to it). It should have been a staple of Megadeth setlists I think. :)

Soundslave likes this.
  21. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Wings "Red Rose Speedway." It seems to be dismissed as the album with "My Love" on it, but I love it. "Big Barn Bed" may be my favorite Wings tune.

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"BBB" and "Get On the Right Thing" are that album's 2 saving graces - otherwise it's pretty damned close to forgettable, IMO!

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

People dislike Strange Days?! That's my favorite Doors album, hands down. It retains a similar feel to the debut, but the band sounds more confident and the production is more forceful. I always thought that The Soft Parade was the Doors album with the weakest reputation. I can see what you're getting at with some of these other suggestions, like Pretenders II which is unfairly overshadowed by the first album. I feel similarly about Television's Adventure.

And since when is Magical Mystery Tour widely disliked? It's a bit more of a grab bag than Pepper, but many prefer it, including myself. Maybe I could see someone mentioning Let It Be or Beatles For Sale, but even those albums are still loved by many fans. I guess it was predictable that people would start rattling off every personal favorite that they don't think gets the unwavering acclaim it deserves, but that was not the original intent of the thread. (The OP's original example was Brian Wilson's Gettin' In Over My Head, an album that really isn't well regarded even by fans.)

john lennonist likes this.
  24. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

Motley Crue Generation Swine

Van Halen Diver Down

Green Day Warning

Deep Purple Burn

Aerosmith Draw the Line and Done With Mirrors

David Lee Roth DLR Band and Diamond Dave

Boo Radleys C'mon Kids

Circle Jerks Abnormalities Oddities and Curiosities

Fullbug likes this.
  25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It's an esoteric masterpiece that needs a couple of spins. Great b-sides in that era too! Got the original Geffen cd of it from my Ebay gift card (thanks to my wife)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.