Albums You Love But Most People Dislike

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Groovy, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

I absolutely LOVE:

Fly on the Wall and Blow up your Video - ACDC

Turbo - Judas Priest

Afterburner - ZZ Top

The Doctor - Cheap Trick

OU812 - Van Halen

Van Halen III - Van Halen

Dirty Work - The Rolling Stones

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good call! :D

I think a wee bit of a backlash started after "Vitalogy" - it sold like crazy but may have turned off some listeners with its weirder tracks like "Bugs" and "Foxymop...".

Still, I don't think the backlash really started until "No Code", as it took the "let's alienate our audience" concept to a stronger degree...

Zoot Marimba and Kristofa like this.
  3. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

The Rolling Stones ~ Between the Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Goats Head Soup, IORR, Emotional Rescue.
    The Kinks ~ Preservation, Preservation Act 2, Schoolboys in Disgrace, Misfits, Word of Mouth.
    Pink Floyd ~ A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, The Wall, A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
    Black Sabbath ~ Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die, Born Again, Seventh Star, The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr
    King Crimson ~ In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizards
    Led Zeppelin ~ Presence
    Beck, Bogert & Appice ~ S/T
    The Who ~ The Who By Numbers
    The Doors ~ The Soft Parade
    The Beatles ~ Let It Be, Anthology 1-3, Most US Capitol albums
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience ~ Valleys of Neptune

4. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

That I know.
    Back in the 70's, all of the kids I knew never listened to III since "it's too weird, mellow and acoustic", these were guys who were a cross between Wayne's World and
    Beavis & Butt-head, it was always blast the 8-track of either IV, Houses, or II on the cheapo stereo while the power hitter circles the room with these guys.
    One said "Hat's Off To Harper kills my buzz whenever it comes on". To them, it was I, II, IV, Houses, Physical Graffiti, and In Tough The Out Door.
    A bunch of I guys I knew from the store including some metal heads didn't care for III because of it's "laid back vibe".
    LZ III is the one next to Presence that didn't need reordering like their other titles, both at Record Haven and Blue Note.

It seemed like their popularity nosedived after No Code.
    Typical with the ultra hip (let's alienate our audience because that's what cool bands like REM and Live do, look what it did for Prince. We'll be even cooler to the fans who'll stay with us) bands.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    pablo fanques likes this.
  5. progmog

progmog Senior Member

'Radio K•A•O•S' by Roger Waters. I genuinely don't get the hatred for this album. Sure, the concept is a little out there...but the music is great! I certainly prefer this to 'The Pros and Cons....', which I really don't care for at all.

6. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

Perhaps not disliked but I feel like Ry Cooder's Bop Til You Drop doesn't get the respect it deserves. For mine it is only marginally inferior to Paradise and Lunch and is one of Ry's best.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This and Invisible Connections. Vangelis will always be known as the "Chariot's of Fire" guy, but it's certainly not his best work, simply his most popular. My favorite album would be Albedo 0.39, but Beauborg and Invisible Connections both illustrate that there's a deeper, experimental, Vangelis in there that has been suppressed over the years.

Runicen and Terrapin Station like this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Depends on the King Crimson fan, I guess. Some people don't care for the pre-Larks' Tongues stuff apart from the illustrious debut at all and Fripp himself had disavowed Lizard for a long time, though he seems to have warmed up to it a bit more in recent years.

9. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - Under The Red Sky
    Jackson Browne - Hold Out
    Elvis Presley - Fool
    Suede - A New Morning
    Sleater-Kinney - S/t
    Todd Rundgren - A Cappella
    Goombay Dance Band - Sun Of Jamaica

10. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I like a lot of the Crash Test Dummies albums. Many do not. Strangely enough, my 13 old daughter likes them as well.

11. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Neil Young - Landing On Water, Everybody's Rockin'

The Band - Cahoots

Cat Stevens - Numbers

12. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

A few "unpopular" favorites of mine that come to mind:

Prince: Lovesexy, Come
    Talking Heads: Naked
    Pink Floyd: The Final Cut
    R.E.M.: New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I'd say all of those are among my favorite records by those bands, but don't seem to rate very highly among most fans.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

If not in this thread, probably another, but I'll give yet another shout out to two albums I've seen heavily disregarded by one of my favorite bands:

Oingo Boingo - Dark at the End of the Tunnel

Oingo Boingo - Boingo '94

Both of these seem to get passed over for ditching the bouncy ska influence and the overt humor, but there are some gorgeous songs and lyrics on both. Dark at the End of the Tunnel boasts "Out of Control," "Long Breakdown," and "Is This," but doesn't really have a bum track to its credit. And Boingo '94 has "Insanity," "Mary," and "Can't See (Useless)" going on. Different beasts compared to the rest of their discography, sure, but stellar platters regardless.

The Nightman and rodentdog like this.
  14. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

'More' is in my top five PF albums.

15. Oatsdad

I think the parts of "Vitalogy" that were "alienating" had an impact on the sales of "No Code". While much of "Vitalogy" was "crowd-pleasing" rock, it definitely offered more weird stuff than the first two albums did.

Plus, PJ's battle with Ticketmaster didn't help, as it kept them from touring as effectively as they should. They still played shows across 1995-96 but they weren't in many of the A-list venues.

As we've seen over the last 20 years, live shows are PJ's bread and butter, and the fact their TM battle handicapped them can't have helped their popularity.

So I think the "weird parts" of "Vitalogy" and the TM battle set up "No Code" as an album destined to show a steep decline in popularity.

Would it have done better if it'd been more straight-ahead rock than it was? Probably, but it seemed like the pump was primed for a drop-off anyway...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

Granted that this is probably the Captain's worst album, but even so, there are a couple of songs on it that I enjoy once in a while.

17. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It didn't help their Miami fans when Vedder and the band took the stage and proclaimed "we are not going on until the AT&T sign on the roof of the stage is covered"
    and then took the stage 45 minutes later. People were angry calling Vedder and Pearl Jam every name in the book for "making us wait for 45 minutes while the promoter covers a sign." That was the last major Pearl Jam show in S. Florida.

18. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Another one I love that a lot of people hate...

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

Sure, it's GN'R in name only and is more appropriately Axl & Friends. The thing is, I think it's that fact that stops people from enjoying what is otherwise a fantastic rock 'n' roll album. I don't give a schiit what name is on the sleeve. The music is what counts.

Runicen, DannyC and blind_melon1 like this.
  19. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Judas Priest - Ram It Down
    I didn't even realize it's disliked so much until from this forum.

20. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Bob Dylan: Self Portrait
    Paul McCartney: Press To Play
    The Beach Boys: Carl And The Passions
    Elton John: Caribou; Rock Of The Westies

21. I suspect that the following are foremost among the albums by well known artists that I love but are generally disliked or even despised:

The Beach Boys - Summer in Paradise
    Queen - Hot Space

Runicen and Terrapin Station like this.
  22. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Jan & Dean Meet Batman

23. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

'Looking Back With Love' by Mike Love.

Most people who dislike this do so for the wrong reasons - they don't like Mike Love. I'm not saying 'there's a lot to like about this album' - just that I like it. Not love it, though. 'On and On and On' is better than the Abba original, the twee title track sounds comfortably early-80s (as in 'phew, we got through the 70s'), and the whole thing has a well-produced charm, far more listenable than most of the BBs 80s output.

24. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I knew loads of people who loved Goats Head, as do I.

Zoot Marimba and BDC like this.
  25. Oatsdad

I don't know about that incident, but I've seen PJ in South FL multiple times. They just played Fort Lauderdale and Miami in 2016!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.