Alex Lifeson says Rush are "basically done"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That looks like a measly 8 million each before taxes, agent fees and whatever else. Hardly a life changer for Rush.

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

good for them
    decreed by Kublai Khan

thamks for the wonderful music

forever grateful for A Farwell to Kings - those early shows
    and was able to take my son to the 40th

bliss44, Frozensoda and Mike McMann like this.
  3. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

They had a great career. So much output. Very strong albums And live shows.
    It's no Shame that they retired

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I've never understood why people think it's perfectly reasonable for us "normal" folks to retire in our 60s (I've got a ways to go yet), but we want our favorite musicians to keep going forever. Rush has earned the right to stop if they want to, and they went out on top and on their own terms. What a legacy of great music and memories they've left us.

hkm3, AidanB, bliss44 and 13 others like this.
  5. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I respect a band that knows when it's time.

AidanB, ytserush, basie-fan and 5 others like this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's great they closed chapter RUSH !

They can't destroy their legacy with poor live performances like other bands.... Deep Purple, Whitesnake etc.

They can enjoy their living with their families and friends.

Dave likes this.
  7. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

A band with as large a catalog as they do have nothing to prove and not much more to add. I do WISH they'd put out some more live material such as an expanded and completed show from the original Moving Pictures tour.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think the thing is most bands or performers don’t retire thus making it incredulous when a band of such popularity and success like Rush says they are. It’s just so unusual. Even artists that have said they’re going to retire (like Bowie) don’t keep to their word. They don’t have to, of course, but it’s unusual for musicians to just ‘hang it up’ even if they should. I think Rush will be one of the few that stick to their intent.

ytserush, 24voltsdc, 905 and 4 others like this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If they don't want it, I'll take it.

10. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. I do think, however, that a studio album can still be possible - hopefully.

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree with you friends

I absolutely respect their decision. They're retiring with dignity and on a high note, unlike so many great artists

DockBoggs and forthlin like this.
  12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It looks like Alex will be joining The Moody Blues. He's always been a fan and the guitar parts will be easier for him with his arthritis. Apparently this is something he's wanted to do for a long time.

unclesalty and GodShifter like this.
  13. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

I tend to agree with this......the years 2004-15 were incredibly busy for Rush. I think after a few years, the itch to play will hit all of them, even Neil.

for all that's said about "physical problems", a lot of it is due to the manner in which Neil choses to travel. All could be mitigated by shorter, smarter touring. If they chose to do so.

14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

As a more casual Rush fan I learned a lot from watching the Time Stand Still documentary. They've had a great career, they're still in one piece (albeit with suffering some of the pain that old age brings) and it's time for them to enjoy the life they've earned over decades working. Hearing Neil describe how physically miserable he was during the final shows I think he's already gone above & beyond in service to the legacy of the band.

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

With Rush ending at least we have these guys:

Bananas&blow and forthlin like this.
  16. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

For all that Peart and Lifeson’s health has been mentioned as major factors, the unpalatable truth for me is that Geddy’s voice has been noticeably declining since the Snakes and Arrows Tour. I enjoyed the Time Machine and Clockwork Angels tours, and the live releases of those tours plus the R40 release, but his voice is going.

Having read several of Neil Peart’s books recently I cannot ever see him changing his mind, so they’re done. Not a bad body of work to leave behind, and i’m okay with them being done. I have no doubt Geddy and Alex will do other projects, but it’s okay for a rock band to retire as far as I am concerned.

17. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

They have my earnest respect for their decision. Thank you guys for all the great music.

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Alex added: "It's not like you just get new members of a band and just go for it. Rush has never been a band like that. We'd never, ever do something like that."
    Unless you're John Rutsey that is..........

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, you know, that was early on and Rutsey didn’t write lyrics n’ all ;)

seed_drill likes this.
  20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yes, but he was in on Working Man and Best I Can - not bad, and he helped get RUSH noticed by the fans and major labels. But yes, Neil took RUSH to the major stardom that would not have achieved with Rutsey.

21. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... about time, they haven't made a really good album since Grace Under Pressure.

22. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Rush has given us some great music
    I will continue to enjoy this for years to come

ytserush and Jvalvano like this.
  23. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I'm proud of them for making the decision to retire. I didn't catch their last tour because I've seen them plenty of times and Ged's voice had been sounding rough the past few tours. We have more than enough great music from them already.

mando_dan and GodShifter like this.
  24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Indeed they gave us great music, thanks guys.

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I look forward to see what Geddy and Alex choose to do now unencumbered by the RUSH label.

ytserush, dlokazip and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.