Alexander "Skip" Spence-- Oar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The tribute album is OOP but isn't hard to find or expensive. I don't have the album myself. I remember seeing it in the music store when it came out.

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Talent is talent, I don't care if the guy was mentally unbalanced or not. This is a great album, original and magical from start to finish. On some level, being labelled crazy becomes bigger than the music, which is unfortunate.

3. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I cannot offer an opinion as to whether Skip was a 'genius'. And it's certainly true that he suffered with very serious mental health problems. But...
    1. Genius & mental illness often go hand in hand.
    2. One cannot make a qualified mental health diagnosis based on an album.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Platterpus likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Based on the accounts I've read, he was not "a mess" at the time the album was recorded. He was focused and lucid, and worked quickly and efficiently. If the album doesn't work for you, fine... but you can't blame it on his mental health issues. It's not like he was disorganized or engaging in Wilsonesque eccentric behaviors at the time of recording.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If that was their intent then they failed miserably. The remix is dramatically different. One listen is all it takes to make it obvious it's a remix.

Platterpus likes this.
  6. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

If you like this album, get the tribute disc. I'm not big on Tributes Albums but this is something real special.

I think I reach for tribute disc more often then Oar. I also think this album has a fun quality that is missed. I know it's cool to like this or Sid Barrett because of these...outside issues. I think both Skip and Sid had much more control and talent then the legacy affords them.

Skip was a talented man and ahead of his time. Did he have "problems"...Im sure he did. That, however, should not be the only defining aspect of the man. A huge talent (like Sid) with a vision of what they wanted.

You Better You Bet likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Snapped up the Sundazed
    cd yesterday at a record show ,
    to upgade from the Sony

Gysin likes this.
  8. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I look at it as an American The Madcap Laughs--It's heartbreaking to listen to, but melodic and very memorable. I love it.

9. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I think you have to be mental to enjoy this album (lol). I tried and tried to enjoy it (based on the "classic" status it has earned) but it has almost zero listenable music on it IMHO. Then again I absolutely hate Captain Beefheart and Tom Waits too and I also find Tim Buckley's "Starsailor" one of the worst things every recorded in the history of music.

10. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Each to his own, I suppose.
    You probably don´t like Syd Barrett, either...:sigh::winkgrin:

11. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

You guessed right. Another person who's "genius" escapes me completely!

12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Oar is definitely a shock when you hear it for the first time.It's a festering open wound laid forth on vinyl and CD.That's why it's so good it's scary.It does take several listenings to understand,but when you get it,it's a brilliant masterpiece.I think it blows away almost anything by Leonard Cohen,who I never got,or Scott Walker.

13. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I don't really think Oar is very hard to deal with. It's actually a contemplative, relaxing album in my opinion. It is also quirky and weird, but do you really want all of your music to be straightforward and predictable? Great album.

On another front, I certainly agree that Oar "blows away almost anything by Leonard Cohen...or Scott Walker" - and I actually like Cohen!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree. I've never heard it as "a festering open wound laid forth on vinyl and CD" as Easter described it above. There are some grim songs, but there are also songs that are hilarious, as well as downright sprightly and cheerful. I think sometimes people read too much into the circumstances immediately preceding the album's recording. It's not all tortured and heavy by any means. You've got your "Weighted Down" but you've also got "Dixie Peach Promenade."

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

"Grey/Afro" has come up a few times on recent iPod shuffles and it never ceases to amaze me. It just draws you inside and holds you spellbound for every second of its 9+ minutes.
    On these occasions I often find myself wishing the song were three times as long.

This is heartfelt, deeply emotional stuff.

16. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Gentlemen, I could not agree more. The album(s) should be required listening. :tiphat:

crozcat likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

18. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Ehh, talk like that is like a dinner bell for contrarians.

19. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

My talk. My contrarians.

Clarkophile likes this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To me, Oar is an album that people need to find on their own, rather than one that they should be required to hear... unless the goal in playing it for them is to screen them for their musical taste or lack thereof. If someone loves this record, I know I can deeply trust their opinions about other music. Conversely, if someone hates it, I know their opinions have absolutely no use to me.

JL7, deanrelax, crozcat and 1 other person like this.
  21. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

I have this on Music on Vinyl. Sounds good as that label stuff does. Any one know how this compares to the Sundazed vinyl?

22. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

A wonderful insane and brilliant album. Have the first pressing vinyl which sold under 1000..Columbia was at a loss as to how to promote it, so they didn't.
    Mine is NM and plays as clean as if it was just cracked open! Better than then pictured below!

One of my favorite Skip tunes is from the album sans Skip -- Moby Grape '69

[​IMG]

Jose Jones likes this.
  23. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

"OAR" is an audio documentary that explores the results of too much "summer of love".

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Still makes many of the lists of the top 101 essential albums of all time. To me it is best described as the liner notes relate ..sounds like those "old scratchy 78's by Pinetop Smith".

Simply and brilliantly UNDER-produced in a good way, 3 tracks, minimalist in every aspect from execution to recording to editing...like some old folk-blues jam in a smoky bar, and recorded with the spontaneity of a one-take Dylan session...

No hooks here...and absolutely an acquired taste.

25. godstar

godstar Well-Known Member

I can't think of another album I should like that I don't. It continues to leave me unequivocally cold though. It really does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.