Alexander "Skip" Spence-- Oar

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Me too!

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have been listening to Oar quite a bit over the past few days, both the 91 Remix and the Sundazed cd. I should note that I bought the 91 cd at the time of its release, having never heard a note, based upon a ICE magazine review but was quite intrigued immediately.

I picked up the Sundazed some years later, and didn't really compare them head to head critically at that time.

Now I have been, and have the following observations:

1) The original mix has a Rubber Soul-type of hard panning on many tracks. It's sort of ironic how this is seen as virtue for Oar, but is a constant source of criticism for Rubber Soul.

2) The more sparse tracks are pretty similar in the remix compared to the original. For example, the right channel in Margaret-Tiger Rug is just drums in the original mix and drums with a tiny bit of vocal (maybe some kind of reverb return) in the remix. George Martin would be proud.

3) I suspect the Sundazed cd has had some EQ applied, because there is noticeably more treble and high cymbal sound compared to the remix. Do you have the original Columbia LP? How does that sound compared to the Sundazed? This difference is quite apparent on Little Hands and War In Peace.

4) The orig mix of Cripple Creek has audible compression bringing the backing track up when Skip is not singing, and pushing it down when he does. In the remix, the backing track stays at a fixed volume.

5) The remix is pre-loudness wars mastered; the Sundazed is quite a bit louder and more compressed sounding. This is the opposite of how these kind of things usually happen--ie--the Sgt Pepper remix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.