Alfred Hitchcock Hour DVD Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiodrome, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

2. bencasey

bencasey New Member

As with any illegal bootleg set, buyer beware. There are some nice sets to be found out there but far more ripoffs and junk. I'd do some serious homework before dealing with this.

3. audiodrome

How do you know that's a bootleg set?

4. xman

xman Active Member

Universal is the real deal:

Attached Files:

5. Sadly it is a bootleg. Many sites like that exist which only deal in bootlegs. Here is the disclaimer in their FAQ which tries to wiggle around them being bootleg sellers, but make no mistake, these dvds are unauthorized by the actual rights holders.

Some of these DVD's haven't even been released yet. How is it possible that you sell them?
    There is a section of the American copyright law known as "The Berne Act" that Clearly states: films unreleased in the United States, including original versions of films altered and/or edited for release in the United States, are NOT protected by American copyright; thus, they are considered public domain. The entire purpose of our website is to provide otherwise unavailable films or television shows to the serious collector.

But it is very possible this show will never see all episodes officially released, so there is that to consider.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That is a bootleg set. I hunted all over the net, and 3 separate boxed sets were issued a few years ago in France, <on the Universal Label>, completing just season #1. These are oop now and going for $60 or so apiece, making the cost of season #1 $180!!!

Plus they are PAL format, not sure of the region.

Some guy on the IMDB comments forum for the Alfred Hitchcock Hour is complaining about the shoddy quality of the boxed set you link to above.

You'd be better off buying one of the programs sold on the net <$29.99> that allows you to download Hulu.com streaming shows - they have most if not all of the hour long episodes available to view for free at their website.

I wouldn't hold your breath for them to be released on dvd anytime soon.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

As far as the quality of the series itself goes, having seen most of them at some point, I feel that probably a third of the episodes get a little slow or "overly talky." I'm guessing that several of the episodes didn't have quite enough material to really, effectively fill out an hour, so they were a little padded in one way or another.

Having said that, if you are a fan of the half-hour shows, you'll like the hour episodes, also. I have one friend who is utterly obsessed with the episode, "An Unlocked Window," which was remade as a 30-minute color episode in the 80s.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. xman

xman Active Member

9. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

That's the episode my wife and I remember that I mentioned in a previous Hitchcock thread. I'd like to see the release of that too.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

11. audiodrome

12. xman

xman Active Member

Volume four is on hold indefinitely. :(

13. audiodrome

Did anyone else catch the 48 hour Hitchcock marathon on TMC last Saturday? :righton:

14. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

15. Sadly no U.S. Release.

No release here because Universal doesn't consider it important enough quite simply because they don't see enough profit in it.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Universal is one of several studios that is sitting on thousands of hours of films & TV series that, for reasons known only to them, are unreleased and unavailable for viewing to American audiences. It's sad to me, because I think they're leaving a lot of money at the table by not at least putting these up for legit download/streaming somewhere.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Money burns a hole in my pocket for The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, complete and uncut, professionally mastered and officially released.

18. ...and their audience is growing older every day. By not showing them they also risk losing whatever new potential new audience members (unlikely but it has been known to happen) would check them out.

I realize their asset managers only have so much money, time, etc. But, really, if the elements are in good shape how much would it cost to transfer them? Selling the rights to hungry streaming services makes for an audience

IronWaffle and Vidiot like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm baffled by the whole thing. The really perplexing problem is that the films are turning to dust on the shelf, and most studios are doing little or nothing to preserve them. On the one hand, they zealously guard the copyrights and have multiple floors with attorneys that sue people who try to illegally sell their shows and movies. But on the other, the studios release only a small fraction of the shows and movies they own. Very frustrating.

If everything was made available, it would kill the pirated market, it would give the studio more revenue, it would give actors and writers and directors more residuals, and it would give fans what they want to see -- even if technically there's not that big of an audience. But it would require a huge commitment in time and money to remaster all this material. To me, this is a better alternative than having it all turn to dust and rot away in the warehouses.

JeffreyB, IronWaffle, wayne66 and 2 others like this.
  20. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

In case anyone's interested, Amazon UK currently has the box for 54.99 GBP, which works out to $72.27 (I just bought the set) when you order a copy directly from Amazon UK and they take out the VAT. Yeah, it's not R1, but if you've got a multi-region player $24 a season is a pretty nice price.

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - The Complete Collection 24 disc box set DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Alfred Hitchcock: DVD & Blu-ray »

21. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Got my Fabulous Films Alfred Hitchcock Hour complete box set today from Amazon.uk, and for those hesitant about buying a R2 set, the DVDs play perfectly on my two-year-old Toshiba laptop and my Panasonic portable DVD player. The only device they didn't play on is my ancient Sony DVD player (which I'm not sure will even play Canadian DVDs--haha). So, I'm guessing if you've got a recent vintage R1 DVD player, you should be good to go with this box set. No need to wait for a R1 set which may never materialize.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's amazing to me how Universal spent millions digitizing a huge part of their TV/film library in HD, but stuff like this never comes out. I'm amazed as to why they don't at least make all this stuff available for streaming.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. knish

knish Forum Resident

Indeed, and now that Comcast has Universal it remains to be seen if things will get better or even worse.

Meanwhile........

I have an old JVC XVNA70BK DVD player from 2004, which I love more than my Cambridge
    650BD player-which definitely wins the prize for the most stupidly engineered remote ever!!!
    Plus, somehow the JVC’s analog outputs even sound better; amazing at 1/5 the price of the 650BD.

The 650BD plays all regions. The JVC will play PAL but only Region 1 or 0.

Do the video mastering experts here clearly approve of the DVD-R issues?

https://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitch...00FEOYY8G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Or will their dyes tend to decompose and lose all the data much sooner than the pressed ones?

If yes, then which of these pressed DVD issues should I choose?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hit...1&keywords=alfred+hitchcock+presents+season+6

OR

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Complete Sixth Season (5 DVD Set) - DVD »

Any chance that the Australian discs will be Region 0 compatible to work in my JVC player?

However, since both are PAL format, how likely might there be speed differences when played on the
    Region Free NTSC Cambridge player?

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't trust DVD-R's, because they will fail over time compared to a replicated (pressed) disc. Rip it to a hard drive as a backup, just in case.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.