Alfred Hitchcock thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ginger, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger

Ginger New Member Thread Starter

I know that Alfred Hitchcock is a great director , he is one of the best and i think that many of you would agree with this statement. I want to know what your favourite movies are? I can't say that i've seen all of his movies (that's why i'm asking you what would you suggest), but i'm working on it :D i've seen such movies as: "The man who knew too much"(remake), "Vertigo", "Saboteur","Psycho"," The Birds ","North by Northwest" and "Rope".

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My favorites:

The 39 Steps
    Young And Innocent
    The Lady Vanishes
    Foreign Correspondent
    Saboteur
    Notorious
    Rear Window
    North By Northwest

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. North By Northwest is my favorite movie ever...that's the one movie I've lost count of how many times I've seen (including once in college on the big screen).

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Psycho
    Vertigo
    The 39 Steps (watch out for the blinking drummer)

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The blinking drummer is in YOUNG AND INNOCENT...

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oops sorry boss my bad......blinking cheek of me ! :)

7. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

"Marnie" (Tippi Hedren, Sean Connery, Bruce Dern) - I saw this as a child and it scared me!

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"Strangers on a Train" is my favorite, but there are only a few that I don't like.

Regards,

Rooster_Ties and Slick Willie like this.
  9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

39 Steps (The best of his early pictures)
    Vertigo
    North By Northwest
    To Catch A Thief
    I used to love his movies as a kid. But as an adult, I see huge plot holes in many of the stories. Even my favorite, Vertigo, has mutiple plot holes that almost destory the film for me. Make sure you avoid this version of Vertigo because they remixed the movie into stereo and readded digital effects that were never in the the original film
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...1391315-3388748?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
    The vertigo in this boxset has the correct mono audio for the film, so try to see it that way:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._1_2/104-1391315-3388748?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

10. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

My three favourites are:

Rope
    North by Northwest
    Psycho

11. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

My faves...

North by Northwest
    Notorious
    Rear Window
    Strangers on a Train
    Psycho
    The 39 Steps
    Rope
    Rebecca
    Lifeboat
    The Lady Vanishes

...and pretty much in that order, with NXNW being my fave.

Don't ask about Vertigo, but yes, I've seen it, and it does not make my list.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

One film that hasn't been mentioned yet is 'Shadow of a Doubt' (1943), starring Joseph Cotten and Teresa Wright. IMO, one of Hitchcock's best, although it is often overlooked.

Slick Willie and mark renard like this.
  13. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I don't think it helped that it was out of circulation for a long, long time...

I do like that one quite a bit. I love Cotten.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

NOVA PILBEAM!

Oh I'm sorry, where was I...

Young and Innocent is an interesting early one (1936, I think) with that long zoom shot that's duplicated in Notorious. It's also got some great set pieces. I really like the 1934 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much, it's far better than the remake for my tastes.

The Trouble With Harry is an odd one, as is Rope, but I like 'em both when I'm in an odd mood. The Birds will leave you forever suspicious of flocks of birds perched anywhere.

Favorites:

North By Northwest
    Psycho
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Saboteur
    Sabotage

There are still a number I haven't seen, like Torn Curtain, and I'm always anxious to see a Hitchcock film I don't know.

Jason

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

39 Steps
    Strangers on a Train
    Vertigo
    Psycho
    The Birds - no one has mentioned this one yet, I still think that if you watch it from start to finish in one sitting (no commercials), it is one terrifying movie!

16. macready

macready New Member

Frenzy (1972).
    Brilliant performances, especially Barry Foster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorites:

Shadow of a Doubt
    Rope
    Strangers on a Train
    Dial M for Murder
    Rear Window
    To Catch a Thief
    The Trouble with Harry
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    Psycho
    Frenzy

17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

..............Yeah Strangers on a Train is the favorite Hitchcock of my wife and myself. Wev'e probably watched it a couple dozen times together and find something new and interesting in it every time. Closely followed by Vertigo and North by Northwest.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

'Veritgo' is by far my favorite.

I recently got that big 15 disc box of the DVDs, but I haven't watched them all yet. I hightly recommend this purple velvet "Masterpiece" box. It has the best quality DVD transfers, and includes some of his most famous movies.

19. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A good Hitchcock book is this one:

The Art of Alfred Hitchcock : Fifty Years of His Motion Pictures

It opened my eyes about what Hitchcock was trying to accomplish in these pictures (plot devices, the "MacGuffin", metaphors, etc.). I was able to read the write-ups of the movies within and get more out of them the next time I watched them.

I still come back to North by Northwest as my favorite. Other favorites:

Vertigo
    Notorious
    Rear Window
    To Catch A Thief
    Strangers On A Train
    Shadow Of A Doubt

Actually, it's easier to list the few that I don't like. Family Plot never did anything for me, for instance.

And I still have a handful of his films to watch all the way through (don't own them yet): Marnie, The Birds, Topaz, Frenzy, etc. I also have a box set of some really old Hitchcock films that I haven't watched yet--I've seen 39 Steps, but wish I had a way to slow the dialog down. :D

20. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I can't recall having seen Marnie, and it was just mentioned in a review of the 20th anniversary showing of Blue Velvet as having similar psychosexual undercurrents. Gotta order it from Netflix. My personal favorites are North by Northwest, Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, and Vertigo.

21. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The 39 Steps
    Foreign Correspondent
    Rear Window
    Shadow Of A Doubt
    North By Northwest
    Strangers On A Train
    The Lady Vanishes
    Stage Fright

Suspicion (Joan Fontaine is gorgeous. Too bad they didn't film the "real" ending. Ah, the studio system)

And

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (not the best screwball comedy, but it has it's moments - Carole Lombard had never looked better. I bet that If she hadn't died she would have been a "Hitchcock blonde" in one of his thrillers)

EDIT: I'll add Rebecca and Psycho. I never think of them as favorites, but do enjoy them when I do see them on TV

22. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I picked up the 2 disc version with the British and American versions. At the moment I can't remember what the differences are.

I have a problem with "Vertigo". Jimmy Stewart comes off as an obsessive stalker, so I don't have any sympathy for him.

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

His character is definitely (and purposely) flawed to the point of creepy obsession and guilt.

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Forgive me for a stupid question but is the new Mr and Mrs Smith a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1941 movie? I mean I haven't seen either. :hide:

25. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

No. The Hitchcock version is a screwball comedy in which the couple find out that, through a technicality, they are not really married. Hillarity ensues. Dated, but fun. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033922/

The latest film is an action flick about a husband and wife who don't know each other is secretly an assassin - until they are hired to kill each other (something like that)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.