Alice Cooper album recommendations sought

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Absolutely this. I love Raise Your Fist and Yell. Probably my most listened to Album by him.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

D'oh! Thought you were going to start with Killer?

Love It To Death and especially Killer are just classic 70's hard rock albums. But on School's Out in particular, and maybe Billion Dollar Babies, it's more like he tried to put his theatre show onto record, and the songs aren't good enough to hold up for a full album. IMHO anyway.

3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Roses On White Lace is probably the most metal song he's done. Love the album! :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

co written with kip winger

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Love it to Death through Billion Dollar Babies is pretty obvious. I never really got into Muscle of Love but I suppose it warrants a listen.

7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Love It to Death

Ballad of Dwight Fry is so killer

John Bliss likes this.
  8. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I'll be watching this thread. Religious parents in the 70's basically nixed any interest I should have in Alice. I did get Lace and Whiskey through the Columbia House record club though. I have picked up a few along the way and typically like what I hear. I occasionally get on YouTube and watch snippets of Alice live doing things like The Ballad of Dwight Frye (not sure if I spelled that correctly) and really love this stuff. Thinks for starting the thread!

John Bliss likes this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, so your post was enough for me to go back to Discogs and pick up Killer. Now I have to stop spending money on vinyl (at least until next month)

John Bliss and Runicen like this.
  10. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Killer is killer. Money well spent.

Bananas&blow and John Bliss like this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

AC Group albums in order of essentiality:

Killer
    Love It To Death
    School's Out
    Billion Dollar Babies
    Muscle Of Love

The first two albums are excellent, but they represent an evolving style. My advice would be to go for the five listed above before exploring the first two.

AC solo is too slick a proposition for my tastes.

John Bliss and Rufus rag like this.
  12. Porkpie

Update:

I now own all the Alice Cooper vinyl albums from Killer through to From the Inside (with the exception of Muscle of Love). I'm loving discovering this music. Not everything works for me (the spoken track on Welcome to My Nightmare and the song about having sex with the dead) but I guess by its nature some of this is an acquired taste, but overall at least 90% of it is great IMO. However...I'm sitting here watching Good to see you again Alice Cooper. What the hell is going on?? The concert footage is awesome but then there's some "drama" with an elephant and a camel, a giant viking and some German impersonator. Maybe if I was on drugs, and watching it in the 70s, it might work haha. Shame the concert alone wasn't just released.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've never seen this video, but I'd like to take a moment to salute how awesome that description is. :D

Bananas&blow and Porkpie like this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

If you enjoy the 'Syd Barrett' era of Pink Floyd, the early Who sound and Captain Beefheart's Magic Band, you'll probably enjoy Alice Cooper's first album Pretties For You.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

If you have the DVD there is an option to just play the concert footage which removes that guff you were speaking about - it's not even of the time period - its just totally wacked out lol

16. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I am jealous of you. To me, there is no greater ride than a tour through the Cooper catalog. He is a musical chameleon with plenty to offer just about any taste. To be at the beginning of your adventure must be exciting. I can't imagine having 25+ albums to experience all at once. Prepare to be overwhelmed. I discovered each as they came along. The magic to doing it that way is having time to give each song/album an opportunity to grow on you. My advice at this early stage is to not totally discount something that doesn't appeal to you right off the bat. For example, School's Out is my all-time favorite album, with styles, nuances, and flavors that mean a lot to me. However, I can easily understand those people who don't like it. Everyone's tastes vary, so it may help to know a little about his "eras," what was happening in the music scene at that point, and how he put his stamp on it. Have fun!

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There is some info. about this at the beginnig of the Wikipedia article: Good to See You Again, Alice Cooper - Wikipedia

I don't have the DVD release and have actually only seen the alternate theatrical release where "the 'storyline' segments of the original version were replaced with B/W excerpts of scenes from old Hollywood movies." I have to agree with the above poster, your description makes it sound totally awsome. :D

Runicen and dkmonroe like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

In the 70's, it wasn't ever enough to just release a straight concert film - for some reason filmmakers and maybe even the bands thought that was boring. So you have this half-assed pseudo-surreal comedy act going on between cuts. Someone should have told the director that just not having script doesn't really make it "surrealist." Or comedy. The stupid thing is, the Coopers could have done a really good job with an actual script.

19. Porkpie

It was so weird, later on someone pretending to be a dentist attacked him on stage with a giant drill (during the concert) and then someone appeared dressed in a life size tooth costume and Alice chased them through the streets with a giant toothbrush while the "German" guy was looking for him. It wasn't a dvd copy so I had no option but to watch it.

On another note I had my first listen of Paranormal today (which I was going to avoid as I'm only really focussing on classic Alice) and it was surprisingly good. It has that "heavy metal" sound that the lps I have don't (and which I'm not a fan of) but the melodies were strong and it wasn't an overlong album so it may be the first new release Alice material I buy!

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That part's actually based on the stage show - the theatrics for "Unfinished Sweet." So at least it has some relevance! :laugh:

John Bliss and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Porkpie

Oh yeah, now it makes total sense :laugh:

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Good list. Personally, I have 1 & 2 flipped. Good to see some love for Hey Stoopid. Only issue I have is Trash, to me it just stand stand up on multiple relistens.

The new album Paranormal, while not breaking any new ground, is very enjoyable. Long live Alice Cooper, 50 years and still going.

John Bliss, Octowen and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Indeed, the new album is good. Much much better then Welcome to my nightmare 2.

24. Porkpie

Matthew Tate and Octowen like this.
  25. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.