Alice vs. Soundgarden

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ThePostElectroGranger, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are both in my top ten bands of all time. They each came out of the 90 's with experimental music and different ways to look at modern rock music. They are two of the biggest gems on the "Seattle scene" crown. These bands are often pitted against each other though, because of their heavier tones and how they lean closer to metal. Which one do you like more?

2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I like both equally.

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Alice in Chains.

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I like both, but Alice in Chains was much more unique sounding.

anthontherun, Murph, junk and 2 others like this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

Like both, but, The Garden,

6. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

It's funny because I think the best 10 songs battle would go to soundgarden but ultimately aic wins pretty handily.

7. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Soundgarden is Ultramega OK in my book.

ThePostElectroGranger likes this.
  8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

...but there are 'No Excuses" for not liking Alice In Chains too!:cool:

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

AIC.

RomanBlade likes this.
  10. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Alice.

RomanBlade likes this.
  11. junk

junk Hellion

AIC

RomanBlade likes this.
  12. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Both rock, but Soundgarden takes it.

13. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

Alice in Chains. :righton:

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Alice in Chains, but not by much--I had to think about it for a bit before voting. Both bands are really great IMO.

ThePostElectroGranger likes this.
  15. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident

Both are great but Soundgarden are less of a downer.

16. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I love both but Alice edges it out for me. They really had a darkness to their music that really attracted me. IMO they kept metal alive in the 90's.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Dirt! :)

Aftermath likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Alice Cooper vs. Soundgarden?

19. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I was a HUGE Soundgarden fan....it was literally all I was interested in from about 1989 until 1996 when they ended....I still think their best work goes well beyond anything Alice in Chains ever did....that said...I find Alice in Chains has aged quite well and really was one of the strongest bands from that era. (and especially for songs that I think will "stand the test of time"

I was lucky enough to meet Layne one on one back when they were touring for Facelift (Mookie Blaylock was opening for them to give you an indication of when that was)

I got to sit with Layne in one of those restaurant type booths for about 10 minutes and chat with him right before their sound check at about 3 in the afternoon....he was really a nice guy, excited about their upcoming tour (Clash of the Titans, with Slayer Anthrax and Megadeth) and he was nice enough during their set that night he give me a beer while they were playing.

hahaha

was pretty cool....he's like here ya go

(budweiser for anyone wondering) he was drinking them too

:)

I still love Soundgarden....but I dunno...thinking AIC might have won the long distance run a little stronger.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Uh, have you heard "Head Down" or "I Awake" or "Fourth of July" or "Nothing to Say" or, hell, all of Louder Than Love :confused:

Soundgarden is just as dark and brooding as Alice In Chains, IMO. The difference I see with AiC is that a member died, thus more of a dark history with them. AiC was more of a melodic band with harmonies. Both bands were heavy and dark and I like both equally. I give AiC the edge in terms of new material, though.

Ron Jones and tkl7 like this.
  21. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Soundgarden's best songs are better than Alice in Chains IMO but Alice In Chains had more really good stuff so.. its a tough call.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

even at my most flanneled-out in 1991-95 when I was lapping up everything whole that had anything to do with the state of Washington, I hated everything about Alice in Chains. that hasn't changed.

23. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

"I'm looking California, but feeling Minnesota." one of my favorite lyrics of all times and goes to your point.

blind_melon1 and GodShifter like this.
  24. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

+1

didn't folks early on call aic "kindergarten" (sic).?

25. Rootdown4594

Rootdown4594 Forum Resident

This is like trying to compare Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath as both are the forefathers of most of the music I enjoy. Both great, both apart of the same respective scenes and both heavy rock/metal but in totally different yet similar ways. I'm gonna give the nod to Soundgarden for the same reason I give the nod to Led Zep over Black Sabbath... Soundgarden were much more diverse musically. Soundgarden could have done anything that AIC did musically but it don't think AIC would have been able to come close to SOME of the things that Soundgarden did.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.