Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The 'Alien' film engineer and ship may have only been on LV-426 for 30 or 40 years.
    Was it ever mentioned/examined in that film?.........so it could be David's doing.
    The engineers featured in Prometheus were examined and revealed to be several thousand years old.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Johnny Rocker likes this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

To be fair, it's established in the film that most of the characters have never heard of an android being devious. Although it's clear that he suspects David has been up to weird stuff, that character has no reason to imagine that an android like David would be capable of straight-up lying to him. The David/Water generational change is like the Ash/Bishop change between Alien and Aliens.

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

But If I recall correctly, when John Hurt was examining the Space Jockey, he said it was fossilized maybe for a long time. I still have a hard time with David creating the aliens, because the eggs were from ancient times, the space jockey was ancient and the bursted ribs on the space jockey were ancient. Mr David is recent. But the alien critter is ancient too. 1 robot cant create the aliens, and the queen<<<oops they forgot the queen. LOL!:righton::biglaugh: Thanks for your input quad boy.:):cool:

alexpop likes this.
  4. I've had a great idea for a sequel - "Alien Convent". A group of nuns become ship wrecked on an alien infested planet. Ridley - please send the payment to the usual address.

Jarleboy, Gumboo and mark renard like this.
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I know.......so many loose ends to tie up.
    Hopefully Ridley straightens it all out in the next film.
    Accelerated fossilisation of the engineer could have been caused by the planets uninhabitable/harsh atmosphere?

6. Johnny Rocker

What?[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  7. Johnny Rocker

I hear you, but I think that Space Jockey dude was truly there long before David's circuits was even invented. I think way before cave man invented the wheel, He also forgot the Queen. Its all good, there was also the Alien vs Predator series to confuse fans even more.:cool: Ridly was also doing Blade runner 2 the search for more money:righton:, and some other films at the same time as this film was created. Plus hes and olde timer and probably forgot what the fans wanted. Ridley, yo' bro, do you want your butter scotch candy and soggy oatmeal?[​IMG] :biglaugh:

alexpop likes this.
  8. Maggie

This is pretty close to the original concept for Alien 3 (a group of monks on an alien-infested planet made of wood).

9. Maggie

Although Ridley's new movies seem to be ignoring Aliens (and all the films that followed), there is no contradiction here. David doesn't invent the xenomorph in Covenant, he just breeds it. There's a difference between breeding a pitbull and inventing a pitbull. It's clear from the mural in the Big Head room in Prometheus that the Engineers either created the xenomorphs or discovered them, thousands of years ago.

Jarleboy and Johnny Rocker like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Preferred Alien 3.

11. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I hope you're right. If they say that the mural wasn't a Xenomorph and was something else, then the whole thing goes up in flames.

12. Johnny Rocker

I hear you talking, but I ain't digging the new film,[​IMG] Ill stick with the classic cola film from the man none other than H.R.Gieger![​IMG] He truly is the man of the Bio-mechanoid and the space jockey. Lets here it for the man![​IMG]BTW. good wite up!

alexpop likes this.
  13. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

I saw this again and enjoyed it much more the second time around, without the weight of expectation clouding what I wanted to see, which was a direct follow up to Prometheus.

Looking at some of the things Ridley has said in recent interviews, it sounds like the prequels may be getting back on track with the next one.

"There will be another one before we kind of literally and logically, clockwise, back into the rear back head of [the original] Alien…fairly integral where this colonization ship is on the way...."

"There will be three or four different players coming in to investigate, one of which will be the Engineers arriving back to find their planet decimated…"

"…I think it will be some time before we ever reach the backend of the first Alien. It's still evolving now. I'm already having another one written right now, let's call it Covenant 2. That's with John Logan and we've already got the three act plan on where it's going to go and where it's going to connect, but it's evolving and getting bigger all the time. I don't know where it will end!"

"I always thought the journey would be very much embedded, at least 50% in religion. Security blanket. You can go there next. When I get there, I'm looking at the colonies and what happens, and how it disintegrates…it's being written now, the sequel to Covenant…The alien franchise should be into War of the Worlds by now. That's where I'm going…they (Fox) don't know it yet, but that's what were doing...we're writing [a sequel] now, as we speak. I'll be filming that within 14 months."

They thought it LOOKED fossilized. They brought no instruments to actually test its age, so they were just making an assumption.

Ridley has said the theatrical cut was his directors cut. He said there was not much left on the cutting room floor, just about a 20 minute difference from the rough cut to the final one, so expect some deleted scenes on the Blu ray

Exactly. All David was doing was playing around with the pathogen by breeding and mutating what he had available - the native animal life and a few Engineers - at least until he ran out of them.

Johnny Rocker and Maggie like this.
  14. Johnny Rocker

I was hoping for a different film, I followed the fan club, and they all posted different out comes. I wanted David and Lizzy, to land on a totally scary planet devoid on any plants, trees and happy little critters. I wanted Dr. Shaw to meet with the space jockeys, and their bosses, in nasty gnarly "heat-attack" inducing cities. At some point, the non human looking space jockeys and Bio-mechanoids would talk to her. A very scary exchange. Maybe the plot includes her narrowly escaping in a space jockey's ship back to earth, she is in stasis, totally freaked out, you know therapy for life scared. Then the covenant lands there and finds David one of the bad guys, and the whole crew becomes face grabber bait, giving birth to tons of Bio-mechanoids, or aliens. Then cut to Alien 1977, the nostromo getting a signal from lv426. and bada bing, its dones ville.:cool:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think this should have been on the surface of the darkly lit surface of the misty planet, maybe even things moving. To me it would be the home base of all the critters, and it would make sense.:cool::-popcorn:

bluemooze, alexpop and Grunge Master like this.
  15. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

We may have gotten something like that, had Ridley and Fox not caved to the whiners who just wanted more xenomorphs. Right up until around 2014 he was saying several scripts drafts had been written and insisting there would be no xenos, that the story would pick up with Shaw and David trying to find Engineer homeworld.

Then in 2015 all that changed and he started to say fans missed the xeno so they were changing direction. I'm guessing Fox pressured Ridley and Jon Logan, who wrote it, so we got an Alien rehash with a short continuation of the Prometheus story at the end. They should have stuck to the story plan they had going.

I saw this quote on a website this morning, which reminded me of the old Ridley I liked better. This was in response to his critics.
    "I don't make films for other people. I make films for me. And so far its pretty good, because I'm still here after 35 years. So there's a great expression, 'f**k you very much'."

Now we have this guy:
    "…Because everyone said 'I missed the Alien'. I said, really? And I said, ookaaayy (rolling his eyes). So I came back on… I thought he was definitely cooked, with an orange in his mouth...I think you’re not sensible if you don’t actually take [the fans’ reaction] into account."

16. alexpop

Preferred Alien vs Predator.
    Now this is a cult film!!!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This was my favorite scene, and I sure thought it was shocking and unexpected:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Solaris, Brendan K and 7 others like this.
  18. Exactly. We know what could happen and that David is evil but THEY don't.
    That's what happens when you make it up as you go along.

Johnny Rocker and Maggie like this.
  19. Johnny Rocker

Sad but true, its like getting a knitted scarf from Santa instead of a Gi Joe action playset with realist lazer rifles. Que sera sera.....

Solaris and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Still, I enjoyed it, better than AVPR, maybe.

21. Johnny Rocker

Here ya go...:biglaugh:

22. alexpop

awesome..
    The mother was right. :agree::laugh:

23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It'd still being shown 3 times today at my usual cinema.
    Wonder Woman only twice.
    The Mummy once.

Maybe it's now doing a lot better than expected......after initial average takings.

Final gross may be interesting.

24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Worldwide Alien: Covenant has made almost 230 million. I assume it has broken even by now and probably made some profit.

25. Johnny Rocker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.