Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I prefer this title to Paradise Lost, although Paradise Lost does make sense based on the description.

I wonder what's happening with this now?

http://www.alien5-movie.com/

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yep! Looking forward to this.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

Well if this goes ahead and we have Scott's Covenant as well ....... I'd say we all just get confused.

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Did ANYONE even know what an "EMAIL" was in 1977???

5. moops

moops Senior Member

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

'Coz it was 'A long time ago..... in a galaxy WITHOUT e-mail!'

7. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Prometheus has grown on me as I've watched it more.

I will definitely see this movie...

Jarleboy, Gregster and zenarus like this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I simply took the view that Prometheus was a movie with deliberately exaggerated elements and not a representative example of scientists at work. The scene with the biologist was off my radar too though. That aside, I've no issues with the end result.

Jarleboy and marblesmike like this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here, too.
    The wife and I often turn to each other and say, softly, "......Elizabeth......... Dr. Shaw........"

Manimal likes this.
  11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Prometheus. It's one of the few films I've seen that I can't imagine watching in 2-D. The 3-D filming was really effective in placing the viewer in the old temple.

I'm hoping the next film doesn't abandon its theme to be more of an Alien-series cash grab, but I also hope the writing is tighter than it was in Prometheus.

coltlacey1 and Ghostworld like this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Nah, but I seem to recall a director trying very hard not to hold his new work up to the standards of the old by claiming they were related. Guess that didn't work out so well!

I hesitate to ask which is which. :ignore:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Linger63 likes this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I will not give this another thought until the reviews come in.

That way I won't be disappointed when it hits 20% on Rotten Tomato.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Why should you care? I loved Prometheus and what someone at Rotten Tomatoes likes or dislikes shouldn't stop you from enjoying 2 hours of mindless entertainment. By the way, Deesky works for Rotten Tomatoes with his pent up review of every little minute scene that "didn't make sense" to him. Jesus, it's a Sci-Fi movie for Christ's sakes just enjoy them for what they are.

Jarleboy and marblesmike like this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Sorry, I just expect better from this director and crew with $200 million dollars to spend. Prometheus was total nonsensical, plot-holed ridden, ineptly scripted drek.

16. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Years ago, when THX sound was a being promoted as a new idea, an audio buddy got to watch Alien3 in the theater at Lucasfilm's Skywalker Ranch. He said he liked the movie much more than it was worth because of the venue.

17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm sure. The first time I saw the original, my mind was blown. Brilliant. After that, it almost didn't matter- the second was more exciting in a whamm-bamm action way, there was a prison one and one other, plus some dumb spin off, like Alien v. Godzilla? Frankly, I don't remember much about Prometheus- it was the prequel in a way, tells the back story, as I recall, maybe I should watch it again. But, man, that first Alien- he had me for life! I liked it better than Bladerunner (though after seeing so many different 'cuts' so many different times over the years, I grew to love Bladerunner). The only other movies that grabbed me like the first Alien were the original Star Wars- what a trip! And the original Raiders- it was the best escapist entertainment imaginable- i was studying for the NY Bar exam at the time, and it was the best break I had from that stress. Jaws was great too, the first time. But, I can go back and re-watch the first Alien (and did so many times). Almost everything about it- from the design, to the characters (and actors that portrayed them) to the unyielding tension (which the second Aliens also achieved, but in a different way) made it compelling for repeated viewing. The fact that spaceships weren't all shiny plastic helped too- rusty chains in a cargo hold- it felt like what 'real space' will probably be like, or at least what it might be like. Rust belt horror in the beyond....

Jarleboy and Brother_Rael like this.
  18. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I think this applies to JJ Abrams waaaaaaaaaay more than Ridley Scott :D:D:D

19. Prometheus jumped the shark when she ran from the long toppling spaceship longways rather than sideways. Just like in films when an idiot runs in the center of the highway being chased by a speeding automobile and gets run down, when all he had to do was run to the side of the road and jump in the bushes.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Oh noes, I've been outed! :)

Not much of a scifi movie. I don't enjoy stupid. If you're telling other people not to listen to reviewers, why are you telling them (me) to enjoy something I clearly didn't?

21. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I liked Prometheus *shrug*. I'm convinced there is just no pleasing everyone and that the most negative opinions are often the majority (or at least the loudest voiced) on the internet. Looking forward to Alien: Covenant!

22. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Yeah...they both did that! Pretty dumb....but luckily it was at the end and I had already been thoroughly entertained by what happened before....so I swept that under the rug.....like I did with Darth Vader not knowing his stepbrother has a son named "Luke Skywalker" :D:D:D

Brother_Rael likes this.
  23. and those two whacky super intelligent scientists go sticking their hands and faces into unknown **** again. You knew that was going bad. I loved half of it a lot and half I hated.

Linger63 and spewey like this.
  24. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I blame the THC vaporizer they had plugged into their suits! :D:D:D

Mazzy likes this.
  25. funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.