Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

And so damned predictable. But it was IMO an ok watch.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

For sure, he was under pressure to come full circle and show how the face huggers and eggs came into being, but that was always his intent. I'm just disappointed in the story. If I had to surmise, Rapace wanted no part of it, which made him scrap his original plans to make Shaw integral to the story and the screenplay unraveled from there. Really no excuse because he had a huge budget and the return of Fassbender. Instead of something profound about faith and humanity, we just got a derivative story about a rogue android playing God, which is just another way of saying evil emerges when mankind plays God. Really obnoxious, though I admit to getting caught up in the action and visuals.

Solaris likes this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just watched it, very disappointing!

4. It could have been a lot cooler if they didnt wipe out the "Engineers" in one scene. I was kind of fascinated with their presence in Prometheus.

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IMO, Scott is now trying to develop a 'extended universe' Alien series in a way that is somewhat confusing. These stories should be integrated in way that builds narrative tension and drama. Instead they seem like trajectories. Is the penultimate Alien Movie one in which they make it to a future Blade Runner-esque world?

Or maybe Ridley can go full circle and they return to earth circa the time of his first movie to battle these guys. 'Doth though chidest me o strange creature? Prepare to be vanquished!"
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy and benjaminhuf like this.
  6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I don't think that was all of them.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Felt cheated.

8. Yeah we know they sent out space jockeys to create new worlds so, there is room for expansion. :)

9. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Sorry to say, they were

Deesky likes this.
  10. Here's the thing. In movies, as in real life, people do dumb things. The question is this-- did the dumb things they did relate to the situation or is it simply the fact that WE know what happens in these movies whereas the people here are oblivious because, well, they haven't seen the movie. Now the characters in Prometheus did do some bone headed things but some of them were to move the narrative along so that I can forgive, the others not so much. It's better to look at Ridley Scott films as visual tone poems.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Imagine going to the theatre to see it!

12. alexpop

Blu Ray longer cut?

13. alexpop

Seemed a cheaper budget than Prometheus.

sound chaser likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Was planning to use my amc
    gift-card to see it in 3D, glad i
    didn't.

vince likes this.
  15. alexpop

Good thing about going to a theatre showing is, assuming you don't like the film ..you don't have to double dip and buy the blu ray.

16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I watched this in a plane trip back from Europe last year. As a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, it's a rather mediocre film that provided more questions than answers.

Add in the salt to the wounds to the franchise that the horrible game, Aliens: Colonial Marines, being considered canon to the universe, completely canning Neil Bloomkemp's Alien sequel, poor box office sales of Covenant, and so on has put another nail in the coffin to the Alien series as a whole. At least we did get Alien: Isolation though...

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Is it true that there won't be a sequel to tie in with the original 1979 Alien?

18. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Watched it last night. Very stupid, bleak and boring film. The ridiculous actions of the characters are too lengthy to list. A couple of other plot points that had me going huh:

Why does a star spanning race live like the Aztec empire? Where is all the technology?
    Why doesn't Mother quarantine the medical area immediately upon discovery of alien onboard?
    Why not a basic bacteria or virus to wipe out other species? I don't get what makes these dumb shootable xenomorphs so appealing as a next step.

Deesky and benjaminhuf like this.
  19. Those dumb shootable xenomorphs were created on Covenant to tie in with one of the greatest and most scariest movies everl released: Alien.

mr. steak likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Just saw it. Decent flick. Colonizers who subjugate and destroy life battle each other. Add a healthy dose of Frankenstein along with some obvious twists and cliffhangers next to a dash of inconsistency and voila - Saturday afternoon sci-fi action feature. They needed how much $$$ to make this again?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If everyone thought inconsistencies are bad enough in Alien: Covenent, wait until you see/play Aliens: Colonial Marines... far more than even Prometheus and Alien 3. :realmad:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I liked these Alien movies so much more when the xenomorphs were nothing but bad tempered galaxy spider-wasps. This origin story smells bad... real bad.

Taurus, Kiko1974 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. I think the origin story touches several key philosophycal elements that have nothing to do with the aliens themselves but in the end led to their creation. One of those key elements is the origin of man and its creator, the old "who we are,where are we heading and where do we come from?" Another one is creation and if a creation can turn against its creator, on this case David against humans, one of the primitive xenomorphs and the virus or whatever that is contained in the black goo against the Engineers and the icing of the cake is the lowest creation of this whole story, the artificial man, synthetic, programmed and with no soul, David, turning against them all.
    The plot on the background of both Prometheus and Alien Covenant is not bad at all, it is how it's developed (the hand of Damon Lindelof :realmad: maybe) what is bad, stereotyped characters, bad and silly plot moves...

Jarleboy and nosliw like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And is a completely bogus question/premise which belongs in the realm of theology, not science (fiction).

We are human, we are heading into the future and we came from previous forms leading back billions of years to single celled organisms and chemical energy gradients.

This really is a stupid series of movies based on a stupid non-scientific premise and populated by stupid people doing stupid things!

Scott222C and mr. steak like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'll tell you this, I'm now pretty certain Covenant links the Alien franchise to Mel Brooks' Spaceballs. That bad synth/sim (?) had the baby alien about to break out in song and dance with that flute. Only a matter of time before they evolve into full blown show biz upon arrival.

Jarleboy, Leviethan and mr. steak like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.