Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:doh:

I give up...

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Impossible? :)

3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Maybe in 20 years time the Ridley prequels will be considered classics ................and re released in 3D ........T2 style.
    :D

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was agreeing with you? LOL I can't believe you didn't understand my post?

5. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Making a 1:1 quality comparison: There's more a chance of that happening with the Star Wars prequels.

6. Oatsdad

I know your post is meant as a joke, but given Scott's support for the format, I'm slightly surprised he didn't push for a 3D conversion of "Alien" or "Blade Runner". Though those 2 would be challenging to pull off well given how dark they are.

Scott also may well be a "purist" who doesn't approve of conversions. IIRC, all 3 of his 3D movies - "Prometheus", "Exodus" and "Martian" - were all shot with native 3D cameras, so he may not be a fan of conversions... :shrug:

7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Misunderstanding!

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I like that one....
    then again, I also liked "Matchstick Men", too!

Manimal and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

Yeah ..N Cage, quirky.

10. Michael

that's cool...

11. Michael

yea Nic got screwed on that one...

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I've tried several times to get into it but there are just too many problems. Mainly I think the lead role is bigger than Olando Bloom's abilities, and the role got away from Bloom like the script and editing got away from the story. Even if all those had clicked, I don't particularly like the story of Saladin, even if historically accurate (and the film is not even close--which is fine--I am ok with movies taking artistic license). All that aside, Scott did a phenomenal job with the huge sets, gazillions of extras, fighting choreography, CGI, etc. etc. He is a master at what he does, and that's why I kept coming back to KoH. Sadly the strengths are not enough to save it for me.

PhilBorder likes this.
  13. alexpop

Thought Orlando Bloom did a fine job in the lead role, his best film imo.

DHamilton likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

essentially agree though I think the film is worth seeing for the stuff that works. The opening scenes of the final battle are incredible, for instance. (IDK and I don't care if those are real fireballs or CG)

15. Oatsdad

The extended version of "KoH" is one that really improves the film. The theatrical cut is borderline incoherent, while the DC makes more sense

Still not a great film, but it's pretty good...

apesfan likes this.
  16. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Of course not. Danny Glover saw the xenomorph skull in Los Angeles in 1997. This was long before David was sperm in Peter's eye.

Ridley Scott likes to fling BS (that's cow manure for you Brits) at us and expects us to act like he is God and that there is no history at all.
    But we have all seen (or should have) the history play out on film.
    The history exist and Ridley cannot just come along and act like it doesn't.

David did not invent the Xeno's. At best he just manipulated the evolution of a small sample of them.

17. marblesmike

I finally got around to watching this over the weekend. Jeez, not very good. I would have preferred more of a continuation of Prometheus's themes (God/creation) and plot.

Overall, I thought it was boring, predictable and couldn't wait for it to end. Not as bad as Alien vs Predator or any of those offshoots, but probably the worst of the main Alien movies.

18. Oatsdad

You'll enjoy it more when they release the 3D version! :laugh:

19. marblesmike

And what was with the slow "ascension" of the Xenomorph baby from the captain's stomach? If I recall correctly, they pop out, do their thing, and jump out and run away. Ugh, so much wrong with this movie.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I found an interesting black light poster from 1969 online. It makes me wonder if H.R. Giger had one hanging in his room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

That's an amazing similarity! Any idea who the artist was? Is there any chance it could have been Giger himself?

22. Interesting discovery. It certainly resembles Giger's work (or vice versa).

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

24. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.