Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Gorgeous 3D. Lousy movie.

Starwanderer and Mazzy like this.
  2. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I didn't tell you that you "should" have enjoyed it. To each his own but I enjoyed it for what it was, mindless entertainment for two hours like most films are.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Prometheus should never have been 'mindless entertainment'. That's the problem.

SandAndGlass, barnaby, Hutch and 7 others like this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It wasn't.

Jarleboy and Manimal like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My thought at first.
    But, i viewed it again fairly recently and it was better the second time.
    Agree, 3D is exquisite.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wouldn't mind seeing Kindom Of Heaven in 3D, costly conversion i would imagine.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Quite right, had no right to be classed as 'entertainment' in any form.

barnaby, Hutch and Ghostworld like this.
  8. Brother_Rael

And at this point....

9. spewey

spewey Senior Member

If you don't mind...I'd like to borrow all your rancorous comments about Prometheus and rework them to fit any future JJ Abrams Star Trek threads :D

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

You have my total blessing on that one too.

barnaby, Tree of Life and spewey like this.
  11. Not the best written movie but it did work for the most part due to the moody atmosphere and look of the film. Thst portion was carried over from "Alien" and "Blade Runner". It's just a reminder that, without a good writer, the emperor has no clothes but he may still look awesome in the nude.

Jarleboy and marblesmike like this.
  12. Oh, I don't know, it was a 1950's sci-Fi horror movie in 2013 clothes.

Brother_Rael and marblesmike like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Quadboy and mdm08033 like this.
  14. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

16. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

17. Brother_Rael

Best thing to happen to Trek IMO. JJ made it cool and smart again. Compared to Insnorection, the last few woeful movies with the remnants of the original series, yep, I'll take JJ Abrams work anyway.

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Ripley and/or Noomi should return to earth to battle the Alien along with Godzilla

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought Prmoemtheus was the weakest of the official Alien movies, although it was compelling enough to watch. But it seemed hamstrung by the attempt to re-contextualize the series while remaining faithful to the established story. What kept the Alien franchise artistically viable was that the story was essentially a simple monster movie, without a big, crazy backstory that got more preposterous the more it was trotted out, like the Terminator or Marvel series. Each director could bring their particular style to a slithery-monster-in-the-dark trot, without a lot of baggage.

But trying to turn Alien into some sort of Book of Genesis will suck the life out of the franchise. As happened in Prometheus (and all these terrible comic book movies), the suspense of a particular story will be constantly interrupted while subplots are invented to hit big story arcs and make connections with previous and subsequent installments. The movie becomes too much of a narrative juggling act.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  21. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Indeed. There'll be no more mystery left, and we will have a whole story that will probably end up being way more complicated than it should be.

22. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Can we just get another straight ahead monster movie directed by Ridley Scott like the original Alien?

Ghostworld and barnaby like this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised he's even doing this given the negative reaction to Prometheus. I would have thought he'd learned the "you can't reheat a soufflé" lesson.

daglesj likes this.
  24. Scott has lost me entirely. There are movies I don't like and then there's movies I consider bad. Prometheus was bad. Shockingly so. I'm not into the "continue the series decades later" trend going on. At this point I don't even have morbid curiosity. But I won't be able to avoid my neighbor's opinion on it.

barnaby, daglesj and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think the last few Ridley Scott movies have been shockingly bad (well, not counting "The Martian" which was decent).

For a director that did pretty cutting edge stuff with the original "Alien" (horror in outer space isn't perhaps "cutting edge" but it didn't make for an interesting premise) and "Blade Runner" his resume is pretty weak of late. Most of the stuff with Russell Crowe hasn't been that great. "Prometheus" was a wreck.

barnaby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.