ALIEN in theatres again

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by christopher, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

i saw the ALIEN: DIRECTORS CUT yesterday (10/24), and while it's wonderful to see on the big screen again, like most directors cuts, the additional footage should have stayed out. by comparison, the original theatrical version is lean and streamlined while the new cut feels a little flabby. such is the power that ridley scott holds in hollywood these days that he can issue a 25-year-old movie with a couple of minutes of cut footage reinstated (and i'll go see it!).

it is worth seeing, however, if only to marval at a newly struck print of this science fiction/suspense masterpiece in a new theatrical 5.1 surround remix. jerry goldsmith's amazing score really benifits from this remix.

i saw it at the AMC 1000 van ness in san francisco. one of the reasons i don't go out to movies much anymore was apparient at this screening: i was one of maybe 6 or 7 people in attendence. shortly after the film began, one person started applauding when sigorney weaver's name appeared on the screen. when harry dean stanton's name appeared next, this person started clapping again. especially annoying when you consider that one of the best parts of goldsmith's score is the opening credit sequence. when this person applauded a second time i blurted out, "shut the **** up!". and what do you know? they stopped!

when the movie ended, the theatre cut off the music that plays over the end-credit-sequence (goldsmith's wonderful nautical-like theme), and turned on the muzak that permiates throughout the building! sacrilige!

and $7.50 for a bargin matinee? that ain't a bargin!

still, worth seeing for the pluses mentioned above. enjoy!

later, chris

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for the review. My wife and I will take our 10-year-old daughter to see it at the Uptown in Washington, DC. We're pretty careful about what we let her see, and we discussed this one. We both decided that it's not too gruesome for her (she's seen parts on a movie channel anyway). Plus, my thinking is: when will she ever have the opportunity to see this classic film in the theater again?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think 10 is way too young for this. Remember, it's on a big screen and you are sitting in the dark, not a TV in your familiar living room....This movie can really do a number on a young person.

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I was 9 or 10 when I first watched this on VHS. Scared the hell out of me, even in a familiar place, during the day!:eek: I agree with Steve.

5. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I'd draw the line at 12 or 13 years old for this one. And that would be a very mature 12 year old.

6. GregY

GregY New Member

I saw this last night with my wife (who had never seen it before.) Great fun. A woman screamed right before Brett's death and everyone in the theater jumped.

I don't know the film well enough to know every little thing that was put back in. The "new" scene with Dallas near the end was great, in my opinion. I didn't feel like the new scenes ruined the flow of the film. My wife enjoyed it somewhat, but knew the chestburster scene was coming because of Spaceballs ("...did he have the soup or special?")

He could make Gladiator 9 hours long and give out free popcorn to each person in attendance and I still wouldn't go. :) Some of his movies I really like (Alien, Blade Runner), some I don't like at all (Gladiator, Hannibal.)

The Alien vs. Predator teaser trailer before the movie was kinda neat too.

Looks like the 9-disc DVD boxed set will be released in time for the holiday season. I can't wait. I just hope that the (original) theatrical cuts are released with the director's cuts / expanded versions.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's one of my favorite horror movies... and I will buy the DVD (when the Director's Cut is available...)

8. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Scary as hell...
    Still, I will not go. I will wait for the DVD and buy it then

I haven't been in a movie theater in over two years and it's exactly for the reason that Christopher describes.

I have a pretty snappy surround system and even friends who swear by the theater experience say they lose nothing watching films and concerts in my basement.

I am however poised to make a possible exception for the third "Lord of The Rings" flick...I may not be able to wait for that one

Cheers-
    Norm

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Just wait 'til your little one gets a bit older. You'll be heading to the movies, once a month, Norm ;)

I too will wait for this baby to come out on DVD. Won't this be part of the 9 DVD Boxed Set coming out, anyway?

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I agree this movie is too intense for young children. I was 11 when I saw Alien for the first time. Though it was difficult to see a lot(saw it at the drive-in first time), since much of the movie's cinematography is dark and you only get to see brief glimpses of the alien creature, except for the dinner scene.

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I dragged my wife to see this movie on opening night when it first came out. Neither one of us had any idea what the movie was about, we thought maybe a Star Trek like flick.

It scared the hell out of both of us. When that dude was sitting at the table eating and started spitting up blood, I turned to my wife and said "What makes someone spit up blood like that?"

After the movie, she had nightmares for over a month, thinking about a person being used as a food pod.

Very scary movie for anyone - especially if they do not know what is coming.

(However, it IS a GREAT movie, a suspensful movie, and a classic. No doubt about it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.