All-in-One system (second system), not including speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RockAddict, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy Thread Starter

Current: Marantz M-CR610 (UK version) - paired with Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers.

Reason for looking to change: improved sound quality (SQ)

Criteria / functionality:
    - USB-A port, must support gapless play
    - receiver (DAB and FM) [note: USA versions may show FM and AM instead]
    - tone controls
    - headphone socket
    - needs to work well at lowish volumes
    - CD player (this is preferred but not essential)

The M-CR610 offers all the above functionality but the SQ, whilst "OK", could be better.

Budget: GBP £750 but will stretch to £1K for the right product.

I've discounted the current M-CR612 (aka "Melody X") because the SQ isn't a significant leap forward from the CM-CR610. Others discounted include Advance Paris products (no gapless support for USB-A); the Yamaha RN803D (rhythm / timing is open to debate) and the NAIM Mu-so Qb 2 (doesn't work so well at low volume).

Ideally, a smaller footprint is preferred but full size would be considered for the right product.

One product in the mix is the Denon PMA-150H (same stable as Marantz) but a hi-fi store advised the SQ was again not a significant improvement on the M-CR610.

PMA-150H

If anyone has experience of the PMA-150H and/or can point to an AI1 that might fit the bill, input would be welcome.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Apparently the new Arcam Solo is pretty good. Loud and Clear in Edinburgh singing its praises on their Instagram site.

RockAddict likes this.
  3. RockAddict

Update... a(nother) meandering story but with tangible actions...

Products mentioned in this post:
    - Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp
    - Bluesound Node 2i streamer
    - Monoprice 25 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier 2019 Edition with Bluetooth, Optical, Coaxial, and USB Inputs, and Subwoofer Out

As was indicated in the OP, the hope was to find a fantastically cheap, super-duper miracle one box solution. Er, that isn't quite how it has worked out.

It became increasingly clear that a one box product within the original budget (£750 to £1,000) wasn't going to provide a significant upgrade. The realisation dawned I wanted "more" than the options under consideration were ever going to offer. Cue a rethink. What did I want the system for? How was it going to be used? For weeks, I didn't really get very far.

Then an idle browse through some reviews by a certain Steve Huff reset the parameters. He doesn't claim to be an "expert" and that rather helps. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have a vested interest; he simply wants to enjoy listening to music. His review of the Dynaudio Special 40s had already been helpful (to me) and, indeed, I eventually bought a pair for my main system and have been very happy so far. Whilst browsing, I chanced upon Steve's review of the Willsenton R8 integrated amp and this changed the playing field.

Valve / tube amps. But, surely, they're mega expensive, wayyyy out of my budget? Except, relatively speaking, the price of the R8 wasn't stratospheric (even with all sorts of additional variables - see later). My interest in valve / tube amps was suitably piqued. The R8 doesn't have tone controls, an onboard receiver and I have no idea if will work well at lowish volume levels, all of which were listed in the OP. The lack of normal tone controls is a tricky area; personally, I prefer to have them. That said, there is a choice of valves / tubes that can be use with the R8 (KT 88 or EL34) and the R8 can be run in triode mode or ultra-linear mode. I'd noted Steve Huff's reference to the Bluesound Node 2i in the R8 review and I knew the Node would give me internet radio and a type-A USB port for music files on external drives.

Another factor... This may be my one and only opportunity to purchase a valve/tube amp where the cost vs quality equation (almost) works.

I've looked around at a whole range of other tube amp options and after many dead ends and unrealistic options, both cheap and expensive, I was looking seriously at a lowly Monoprice 25w Hybrid amp:

Monoprice 25 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier 2019 Edition with Bluetooth, Optical, Coaxial, and USB Inputs, and Subwoofer Out - Monoprice.com

Yes, it's a very different proposition to the R8 but it was tempting nevertheless. However, it's not available in the UK, at least not for now (Monoprice UK say they are trying to get it into the UK but couldn't offer any guarantee). Fate? Who knows but that led me back to the Willsenton R8.

Today, I hit the button for the R8 plus some extra (spare / optional) valves. The above mentioned variables relate to shipping schedules (several weeks) and a host of additional costs. In addition to the R8 unit, shipping costs are substantial. There will be a further handling charge levied by the courier. There may or may not be UK Customs Duty payable - the UK authorities (HMRC) were supremely unhelpful when I contacted them and couldn't give any indication of whether duty applies, far less how much. The total of ALL these costs and fees will be subject to UK tax (VAT) of 20%. In short, the total cost could be 50% to 100% on top of the product price shown on the website. With that in mind, why on earth go for it? The original budget is well and truly blown but it's full circle to what was said above... it may be the one and only opportunity. Oh, and most importantly, I'm going with my gut... :)

It's a risk. For me, a potentially expensive risk but a calculated one.

-----------------------------
    The products:

Willsenton R8 KT88/EL34 x4 Tube Integrated Amp Power Amplifier Headphone : China-hifi-Audio online store, Yaqin,Meixing Mingda,XiangSheng,Line Magnetic Tube Amplifier, power amp, preamp,hi-fi CD Player high end audio for sale [MUIA9832268] - $833.18 USD

Vacuum Tube KT88 EL34 6SN7 6SL7 brand Willsenton for R8 Amplifier : China-hifi-Audio online store, Yaqin,Meixing Mingda,XiangSheng,Line Magnetic Tube Amplifier, power amp, preamp,hi-fi CD Player high end audio for sale [MUIA9832332] - $169.00 USD

NODE 2i

-----------------------------
    Steve Huff's reviews of the Willsenton R8 and the Node 2i:

HiFi: The Willsenton R8 Integrated Tube Amplifier is a NO BRAINER BUY. | Steve Huff Photo

The Bluesound Node 2i Music Streamer. Worthy of use it in a HIGH END Audio System? | Steve Huff Photo

Happy listening all.

4. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Not sure about the prices in your country
    I would buy a Quad system, that should sound pretty good

5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Yup, Quad Chinese makes something with a CD in, never tried it but their Vena is pretty good.

Years back I had a Aura Note all-in-one
    sounded good, looked more cool, no idea if they're still in business or their kit will match OP requirement.

6. RockAddict

A mercifully short(ish) post with an update on what form the second system took - eventually. Thanks for the suggestions which were appreciated.

The Willsenton R8 has ended up in my main system with the primary source being a Bluesound Node 2i streamer with a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. External DAC to be added (probably).

The second system is...

Dynaudio Xeo 10 wireless active speakers connected wirelessly to the Bluesound Node 2i from the main system.

The Node 2i opened up a possibility I hadn't previously considered: wireless active speakers. A pair of ex-demo Dynaudio Xeo 10s were available with a discount and the trade-in value of a long disused amp left a balance of less than half the list price for a brand new pair of Xeo 10s. After much frustration getting them to pair up and finding out where they are listed within the Node 2i's BluOS app, all is finally working.

The Node means most of the functionality originally sought is available: USB type-A port for external drives; internet radio (instead of DAB/FM); tone controls. Although unlikely, a separate CD player / transport can be added later later. The Xeo 10s don't have a headphone socket but it wasn't a deal breaker.

As an indulgence, additional coloured grills were ordered (red and blue if you must know :)). Red for angry music, blue for being, well, blue and the original black for really dark music. Someone has already suggested mixing and matching which has been somewhat discombobulating....

Happy listening all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.