All in: Oppo Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Welly Wu, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member Thread Starter

I plan to get these items:

1. Oppo HA-1 for $1,219.00 USD in late September 2014
    2. Oppo PM-1 for $1,114.00 USD in late October 2014
    3. Oppo BDP-105 Darbee Edition for $1,326.00 USD in late November 2014
    4. Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 RCA interconnects, XLR Stereo Canare L-4E6S 1.0' Male -> Female cables, HDMI BJC Series 1 23.5 AWG Belden Bonded Pair 15' for $144.20 USD in early December 2014

If I can not sell my old home audio system, then I am going to keep it. These new Oppo Digital products are going to be mine in the next three months followed by the Blue Jeans Cables in December. I'm really intrigued by Oppo Digital and I think that they make some of the most cutting edge and state of the art technology products on the market at relatively affordable prices.

I'm updating my home audio and video system. It's been over 10 years and I deserve it.

Thank you.

Steel Horse, jmrife, timind and 3 others like this.
  2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Sounds and looks like an awesome A/V system to these ears (yes, puns intended)! I'm a little envious but happy for you at the same time. I got to hear the HA-1 and the PM-1 set up at AXPONA this year and I was very impressed with it! No doubt you will have an incredible audio/visual system this fall. Please post a review when you get it all together and a few pictures for us less fortunate to drool over. Good luck Welly. I foresee many happy listening hours ahead!

3. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Enjoy the new gear.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yesterday you said you bought the Sennheiser HD-DVD800? :confused::confused:

Shawn likes this.
  5. Welly Wu

6. Welly Wu

Yup, I got it yesterday. I'm spending like a drunken sailor.

7. Welly Wu

Alright. This is my mea culpa. I downloaded some 24 bit 88.2 and 96 kHz FLAC loss less music albums and I listened to them using both my Resolution Audio Opus 21 and HRT Micro Streamer 24 bit 96 kHz DACs and I can clearly hear the high definition sound quality compared to LAME 3.99 V0 or 320 kbps joint stereo MP3s. High resolution makes a clear difference to my ears especially with my Sennheiser HD-800 and HDVD 800 combination. The only problem is that the HDVD 800 does not do DSD 64/128/256 audio files. This is why I have to get the Oppo HA-1 first and foremost in order to take advantage of the higher fidelity high resolution music albums. I read that the Oppo PM-1 synergizes well with the HA-1 especially with high resolution music albums like DXD 32 bit 352 or 384 kHz and DSD 128 music albums. Hence, this is the reason why I'm going all in with Oppo and Blue Jeans Cables this Fall and Winter 2014. I was wrong in preferring lossy audio codecs like MP3s. Sorry.

8. Welly Wu

The Nutley Public Library makes available Compact Discs, DVD-Videos, and Blu-Ray discs to residents for free of charge. Their selection is small, but it usually includes most of the major releases in each disc format. I have a free Nutley Public Library card and I plan to use it soon. If I find released materials that are compelling, then I plan to order them via Amazon or other discount multimedia online retailers. For example, I plan to purchase the Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray Extended Edition box set along with The Hobbit Blu-Ray Extended Edition box set early next year after I purchase and receive everything in my bedroom. I will do a lot of research into 32" - 42" 3D Smart HDTVs to get myself up to speed. I will also renew my Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Spotify Premium subscriptions. I already have Qobuz and they will become available in the United States by the end of 2014. Currently, I use Private Internet Access virtual private network to access Qobuz at their London, UK VPN gateway server.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  9. Welly Wu

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  10. Welly Wu

Go big or go home! Woof!

11. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

When making your comparison, where did the MPR3 files come from. Did you re-encode to LAME from the FLAC files or did you already have the same music in MP3 format. Just wondering if this was an apples to apples comparison (e.g., same mastering). Also not clear if you are comparing differences you are hearing with respect to high-rez v redbook and lossy v lossless. I think you need to control for each to determine where the improvements are coming from (could be both but you won't know if you don't control for each).

Please do not apologize for your earlier preferences. You are entitled to your preferences, and you laid out a good case for why lossy can be acceptable or even preferable. No need to apologize. I suspect you may now be influenced by all the heat you took on prior threads in your listening with respect to lossy, but I am not there listening with you and if you now hear a difference on your gear with regards to lossless files (or high-rez files) and it is an improvement then awesome for you:pineapple:.

12. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You could, however, convert DSD64/128/256 to, say, 24/176 PCM (offline or on-the-fly) & play it back on a PCM-only 24/176-capable DAC (using foobar2000 with foo_input_sacd plug-in)... ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am using foobar2000 right now, can I use this plugin to play DSD downloads?

14. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Go for it!.. ;)

15. Welly Wu

I used dBPowerAmp and PerfectTunes to rip the original CD to FLAC using maximum compression. Then, I encoded from the FLAC to LAME 3.99 joint stereo 320 kbps MP3s. They were from the original music source. When I had auditioned the Sennheiser HDVD 800 (before I returned it for a full refund earlier today) and the Oppo Digital HA-1 and the Chord Hugo, I listened to high resolution FLAC loss less and MP3s. As far as I know, the HDVD 800 and HA-1 do not up or over sample; however, my Resolution Audio Opus 21 music system does upsample to 24 bit 705 kHz when I connected the Blue Jeans Cable RCA stereo interconnects to the extra sources box. This narrowed the gap quite a bit in terms of sound quality especially when comparing CD quality music to MP3s. I don't have a large high resolution loss less music library, but I'm buying more music albums because the HA-1 and Chord Hugo make an especially convincing case to showcase DXD and DSD. I'm going to have to return the Chord Hugo in a few days, but it seems that the Xilink FPGA is clearly superior to the HA-1 Saber 9018 DACs which are off the shelf. At this point, it's not in my budget to purchase the Chord Hugo even though it is a giant portable killer. It doesn't do Blu-Ray discs like the Oppo BDP-105D does. At some point in time, I want to watch my favorite videos and movies in the near future perhaps within the next six to seven months from today. One thing that I'll say is that the Resolution Audio Opus 21 has a more natural tonal balance and greater resolution and detail retrieval with CD quality music than the Oppo HA-1 by a fair margin. One can only optimize Red Book CD performance so much as it's an old format and there's only so much data available on the disc compared to high resolution music albums, but I am still convinced that it has its own merits and it is highly competitive with reference grade CD players costing several orders of magnitude more. High resolution is pretty spectacular in its own right and I see a sustainable supply of high resolution music albums in DXD and DSD especially for digital downloads. The Oppo BDP-105D makes me want to collect Super Audio CDs and DVD-Audio discs even though both competing formats lost the war against CDs in terms of gaining traction in the market. There's something inherently special going on here. Conversion of DSD to PCM is not ideal. It degrades sound quality and it's simpler to keep the digital signal path as pure as possible for optimal sound quality. That's the inherent reason why I plan to spend a small fortune to acquire the separate Oppo Digital HA-1, PM-1, and BDP-105D components along with the Blue Jeans Cables analog and digital cables to connect the components together. The PM-1 sounds resplendent with the HA-1 especially with high resolution loss less music albums. The synergy is quite astonishing and refined to a gilded edge. Oppo Digital knocked triple home runs with these three products.

In due time, I will build up a high end audio and video entertainment system in my bedroom. I think it is the right time for me to save and spend carefully to get these products. I've been missing out on some truly awesome content for over 10 years. I'm really looking forward to the next several months ahead. It's like discovering fresh insights into my large music and video libraries. That is worth it.

16. Welly Wu

24 bit 48 - 384 kHz PCM sounds like digital music done to the extreme. It can be a bit overwhelming and fatiguing to listen to music albums because the sound is so surreal. DSD 64 - 256 sounds more analogous to the analogue sound as it's smoother, more effortless and transparent, and natural especially in terms of timbre accuracy. They have their strengths and detractors. I'd take DSD over PCM any day of the week.

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

DSD native playback may not be ideal either... ;)

18. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Where have you heard the PM-1. Did you already buy it. I thought from your other thread that it was on your want/intend to buy list. I am interested in your thoughts on the PM-1 if you have heard it. I am myself interested in the PM-2. However, I would not necessarily think this would be your first choice of headphones (unless it is meant to complement, rather than replace, your HD-800). My sense from your posts is that you are very much trying to build a reference level system within your budget (kudos to you). My impression from various sites, including Head-Fi, is that even amongst its fans the PM-1 (and the PM-2) is not really being held out as being at reference level (which is not to say it isn't great and highly enjoyable). I have no personal experience but that is what I am hearing and that is what has held me back on pulling the trigger on the PM-2 for now (but my resistance is getting weaker).

19. Welly Wu

I auditioned the Oppo HA-1 and PM-1 from the Audio Connection in Verona, New Jersey. They are an authorized Oppo dealer. To my ears, the two have a very close fit to each other. The Oppo PM-1 has very wide dynamics with pinpoint precision regarding shifts between soft and loud sounds that is very smooth and liquid. The tonal coherence is very tight with a more laid back and mid concert hall presence that can sound a bit distant with low bit rate MP3s. However, they can blur the sound in a velvety lush smoothness that loses definition, articulation, and texture especially in the deep bass region compared to the Sennheiser HD-800.

The Sennheiser HD-800 is the true reference headphone. It pairs extremely well with the Sennheiser HDVD 800 together. The PM-1 is about 85 percent close to the HD-800, but the latter cans open up the sound stage very widely much like listening to loudspeakers. The fit and finish of the PM-1 is exquisite with long term comfort in mind. The additional ear pads help to tune the sound much like the Grado flat pads are revered by its ardent fans for the older headphones. The PM-1 have a bite and they do make a few compromises in timbre accuracy and resolution along with detail retrieval compared to the HD-800. The HD-800 is essentially a near perfect headphone with slightly pronounced treble energy although its not peaky. The fit and finish are class A all of the way as these are the most comfortable headphones that I have ever worn in my entire life thus far.

System matching and synergy always play a huge role in building a reference grade audio system. Nothing is perfect however. The Oppo PM-1 can be used for critical listening sessions as they are up to snuff, but they give up a little bit of sonic coloration and they lose a bit of sound stage when compared to the HD-800. At their price point, I suggest that you audition the PM-1 and don't prejudge it based on what you've read about them by other owners. They are truly world class headphones especially when paired with the HA-1. I strongly recommend them to prospective candidates looking to spend roughly $1,099.00 USD as they are the class leader in this pricey category.

20. Welly Wu

Do you remember when you stopped listening to your audio system and you just listened to your music libraries?

That's what I experience when I listen to my Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player, power centre, S30 power amplifier, and extra sources boxes with my Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2 and my Sennheiser HD-800 headphones or Shure SE-846 CL in-ear monitors.

The Oppo HA-1 and PM-1 get pretty close to this level especially with high resolution PCM or DSD music albums. I could lose myself to the music because it was so believable albeit there were some of the aforementioned sonic compromises. Oppo is not Sennheiser, Resolution Audio, or Ray Samuels Audio. They don't quite yet have the technical skills and experience to tune their current personal audio products because they have to meet a lower specified price point. However, they come within spitting distance. If you can't justify the cost of a $7,500.00 USD CD player, a $1,500.00 USD headphone, and a $875.00 USD headphone amplifier, then go with Oppo and save your money to buy more music albums. I consider them to be pretty near reference grade sound quality as a matched pair.

I'll be auditioning an Oppo BDP-105D this weekend from my authorized dealer. I'll try the internal DAC and headphone amplifier as a standalone unit. I have a HDMI cable to configure the audio and video settings. I'm very experienced when it comes with multi-format universal disc players; just read my old posts on Head-Fi.Org and you'll see for yourself. I'll post listening impressions only. I only have a cheap COBY 720P 20" LCD HDTV right now so there's no point in watching Blu-Ray discs at the moment. In due time, that will change early next year.

One step at a time. I'm not gunning for reference grade level audio and video. I'm aiming for the price to performance value class leader with these future purchases.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The HA1 is a good DAC/amp but if you can leverage an existing transport and spend $2K on a Chord Hugo (instead of the Darbee and HA1) you will get to a new level of resolution.

CarterB likes this.
  22. Welly Wu

Yes, this is true. I'm still auditioning the Chord Hugo and I'm listening to it right now.

I can't make up my own damn mind after auditioning so many fine products! Forgive me. This is my honeymoon phase. I've been out of the high fidelity market for roughly 10 years.

Metralla likes this.
  23. Welly Wu

I hope that I have a pending sale for my Resolution Audio Opus 21 music system with a fellow SHMF member here. He'll call me tomorrow with his decision. I cut my asking price by more than half. If he comes through with an acceptable payment method, then I'm getting a new Oppo Digital HA-1 by the end of August 2014. Next month, I plan to swing a purchase for a new Oppo Digital PM-1 headphone.

As for the Oppo BDP-105D, I have to think about it carefully. I'll leave it until this holiday season to make up my mind.

We shall see. I'm thinking that this pending sale will follow through. I had a dream that it did and I had a dream that I got my Oppo gear in my bedroom last night.

24. Welly Wu

I change my mind a lot especially when auditioning new audio components. Forgive me. I want it all, but I have to make up my mind at some point in time. I think that my DSD music library is growing slowly. I prefer DSD to PCM. It sounds more like analogue to my ears.

By the end of this month, I'm going to stop auditioning new audio and video components. This will help me to make my decision. It looks like Oppo has the goods in terms of features and sound / video performance. I think that I'll stick to my time table and get the pieces over the next several months. Oppo makes killer high fidelity products that are priced in terms of everyman's budget. When I auditioned the HA-1 and PM-1 together last week, it was very very compelling. I actually liked the combination together. The top end is very smooth on the PM-1. DSD 128 music albums sounded so smooth and the resolution was top drawer. It was a very seductive sound signature.

As for the Oppo Digital BDP-105D, I will have to wait until December 2014. I'm going to need to save up my money in November to splurge in December to get the Blue Jeans Cables and Oppo BDP-105D together.

This seems to be the most logical route to take within my price range.

25. Welly Wu

Fingers crossed. I expect to place my online order at the Oppo website on September 4th, 2014 for a new Oppo HA-1 in black. I'm going to have to wait until December 4th, 2014 to get the Oppo PM-1 with the standard headphone cable and the 6.35 mm jack. I'm not ready to go fully balanced this year. As for the Oppo BDP-105D, it's quite excellent and the analogue stage output is excellent too. I plan to give my father a large sum of cash for Thanksgiving 2014 so I have to delay getting my BDP-105D until early next year. I may or may not get it; at this point, I can't make up my mind about it. The HA-1 and PM-1 are definitely on my priorities list this year. I have no use for optical discs any longer. I stopped buying physical media content a long time ago. My Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P does not have an optical disc drive. I do have an ASUS Blu-Ray USB 3.0 optical burner drive though. I strongly prefer digital media formats especially using lossy audio and video codecs.

I do plan to purchase a few high resolution DXD and DSD 256 music albums in December 2014 when the holiday sales become available. Right now, I'm sticking with MP3s especially LAME 3.99 V0 MP3s. I have 24,001.00 music tracks which equals 2000.00 CD music albums. Hopefully, I should reach 30,000.00 music tracks by the end of 2014, but we shall see. I purchase and download MP3 music albums from various online merchants.

The Oppo HA-1 and PM-1 are very very impressive especially at their price points. The features and sound performance are in the rarefied high end category and they offer a tremendous value proposition that is simply unmatched in the current market. I'm definitely getting my Oppo HA-1 and PM-1 this year. I'm really looking forward to owning them. My Sennheiser HD-800 has excellent synergy with the Oppo HA-1 and it's essentially within 5 percent striking range compared to the much more expensive Sennheiser HDVD 800 when I directly compared both products side by side a few weeks ago when I auditioned them at my apartment.

I'm going to have a fun Fall and Winter 2014!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.