All purpose UFO thread...ask anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Too many people did that, and I inherited other peoples records, kept them all but didn't buy vinyl between 96 and a year ago, outside a couple used cheap. On the upside your living quarters might seem normal to people who aren't music freaks. I'm swimming in media/guitars/amps etc.

Good prices can be had on VG+ and ex LP copies, though Phenomenon tend to sell for high prices.
    It took me a while to find an acceptable price, and I feel lucky, also relieved that it lived up to the sellers description. I made sure to give good feedback right away. There can be the problem of excellent condition of a bad pressing, which sucks, but wasn't the case here.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Misdemeanor and Force It are my favourite UFO albums and i love Atomik Tommy M on the guitar, he had a great sound.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Just ordered Pete Way's book!

Rufus rag and Jimmy Agates like this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

It's a good read. I actually felt quite sorry for him in the end...a good soul that has a tendency to go astray!!

Rufus rag and BDC like this.
  5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Figured this might be a slightly better place than the Strangers Poll thread. :)

Every few years, if I don't see any new UFO live mentioned here, I look on Amazon, eBay, etc. I just came across this guy:

UFO (5) - Live Sightings

Chicago 1980 (3/16?), Chicago 1981 (WLUP, 3/31?), St Louis 1982 (3/14, Kiel?), Cleveland 1982 (June, Agora?)

(I have this one the way, so I'm guessing those are the dates/shows. I might actually have all these, but will be curious to see if there's any improvement in sound quality or not. This reminds me a little of the lp sized Rainbow Memories in Rock package, which I really like.)

I have a spreadsheet of all their live stuff, but I have to admit, it's not very well organized. There are all the boxes, and then the single disc releases, and there is some overlap.

Anyone ever try to organize all their live stuff in an easy to read format? :D

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

7. Jimmy Agates

I posted this over at the UFO album by album thread some time ago....dunno if its what you're after

JAPAN HIBIYA PARK 25 SEPT LANDED IN TOKYO AKA UFO LIVE

FRANCE EARLY FLIGHT LP IN LIVE SIGHTINGS BOX

UK MARQUEE MAY EARLY FLIGHT LP IN LIVE SIGHTINGS BOX

BBC SESSION 6 JUN BBC BOX

BBC SESSION 26 OCT BBC BOX

US ELECTRIC BALLROOM 5 NOV CHRYSALIS YEARS VOL 1

US RECORD PLANT 1 SEPT BOOTLEG BOX / IMPACT LIVE

UK BBC PARIS THEATRE 11 DEC BBC BOX

UK ROUNDHOUSE 25 APR BOOTLEG BOX / LIVE THROUGHOUT THE YEARS

UK ROUNDHOUSE 2 APR BOOTLEG BOX

UK BBC JOHN PEEL 1 JUNE BBC BOX

US CLEVELAND 11 JULY LIVE ON EARTH

US STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT

US WISCONSIN 14 OCT HOT N LIVE

US CLEVELAND OHIO 16 OCT BOOTLEG BOX

US COLUMBUS 17 OCT HOT N LIVE

US TEXAS 21 MAR LET IT ROLL BOX

UK HAMMERSMITH 4 FEB BBC BOX / CHRYSALIS YEARS

US CHICAGO 16 MAR LIVE SIGHTINGS

UK MARQUEE 16 NOV HOT N LIVE

UK HAMMERSMITH 20 FEB BOOTLEG BOX

US CHICAGO 13 MAR LIVE SIGHTINGS

UK HAMMERSMITH 28 JAN BBC BOX / BOOTLEG BOX

US ST LOUIS 14 MAR LIVE SIGHTINGS

US CLEVELAND 9 JUN LIVE SIGHTINGS

UK APPOLLO 4 APR HOT N LIVE

UK HAMMERSMITH 15 APR HEADSTONE

UK KNEBWORTH 22 JUN BBC BOX

JAPAN 20 JUN LIGHTS OUT IN TOKYO

GERMANY FRANKFURT 16 DEC LET IT ROLL BOX

JAPAN TOKYO 16 JUN LET IT ROLL BOX

USA BUFFALO 18 AUG COVENANY / SHARKS BONUS

USA CINCINATTI 31 AUG LIVE ON EARTH

USA SAN FRANCISCO 9 OCT LET IT ROLL BOX

AUSTRIA VIENNA 28 JAN LIVE THROUGHOUT THE YEARS

UK WOLVERHAMPTON 10 FEB IMPACT LIVE

GERMANY WILHELMSHAVEN MAY SHOWTIME

kevin5brown, jay.dee and slipkid like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't have it but recall when it came out - there was discussion about it maybe in this thread, or elsewhere.

I was tempted to pick it up but ultimately decided to pass since (1) I am not that into the Chapman era, (2) it seemed that some of the shows might be bootleg sound quality from the description, and (3) I found it annoying that one of the included releases in the set was on LP.

Am curious what you think of it once you get it, especially how you think it sounds.

9. Jimmy Agates

I've owned it since it's release and it was pretty pricey - the audio is in line with most of the other stuff UFO have released through the small labels ie soundboards. The 2 tour programs included are pretty average print quality. This is a typical Cleopatra release in my opinion. ZLets put it this was compared to the Official Bootleg Box this is pretty average - for UFO completists only!!

stax o' wax and slipkid like this.
  10. Jimmy Agates

Oh yeah by the way the first 2 UFO studio albums and the Live In Japan album are getting reissued in Japan yet again on 27th of this month as Mini-Lp Blu-spec sets with brand new 2018 remastering...

Doggiedogma and stax o' wax like this.
  11. kevin5brown

That's not bad. :) I'll want to add song differences, and then maybe some notes on sound quality, i.e., what's the best release (sound and completeness) for each show. Nice!

[There are actually 2 Record Plant shows:
    9/1/1975 Record Plant NYC
    9/23/1975 Record Plant Sausalito]

jay.dee and Jimmy Agates like this.
  12. kevin5brown

I didn't know the Let it Roll box even existed. Another one! :D

13. kevin5brown

I suspect that for this set:

UFO (5) - Official Bootleg Box Set 1975-1982

For disc 5, I don't think it's:

Hammersmith Odeon, UK 20th February 1981

I think it's 1/10/1981, Hammersmith Odeon. Don't know why they'd be back there only 10 days later.

1/10/1981 is a Wolfgang's Vault show.

14. kevin5brown

Jimmy, for example, for this one:

This is the famous Regenerator show, so it's also on that single disc release, and also included in the box Live Throughout the Years. :)

One more, sorry, I'm (ahem) on a roll ...

Also is the single disc On with the Action.

You know what I was thinking ... It's too bad Led Zeppelin isn't documented as well as UFO live is ... :D

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I burned this cdr of live rarities today from the Michael Schenker years. It compliments the original Strangers In The Night track listing.

1. Oh My
    2. Give Her The Gun
    3. Cold Turkey
    4. Prince Kajuku
    5. Space Child
    6. Can You Roll Her
    7. Highway Lady
    8. C'mon Everybody
    9. Boogie For George
    10. Gettin' Ready
    11. On With The Action
    12. Ain't No Baby
    13. Hot 'N' Ready
    14. Cherry
    15. Pack It Up (An Go)

However, I had to omit the following songs due to lack of space.

Built For Comfort
    All Or Nothing
    Try Me

16. kevin5brown

This one is also partially included on the single disc BBC Radio One Live in Concert. The good thing? The BBC box version is identical to the Chrysalis Years version. The BBC Radio 1 Concert is probably better sounding, because the DR numbers are higher, but it's missing 4 songs.

17. kevin5brown

18. kevin5brown

This is interesting ... (I *love* detail* like this!)

Here is the setlist from 1/10/81 (well, or what has been released in any form):

1 Chains, Chains 03:24
    2 Long Gone 04:34
    3 Cherry 04:16
    4 Only You Can Rock Me 04:16
    5 No Place To Run 04:29
    6 Love To Love 08:27
    7 Making Moves 05:38
    8 Mystery Train 06:01
    9 Lights Out 12:30

But here is a setlist I found for the 1/28/81:

Long Gone
    Chains Chains
    Lonely Heart
    Cherry
    No Place to Run
    The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent
    Only You Can Rock Me
    Love to Love
    Makin' Moves
    Mystery Train
    Too Hot to Handle
    Lights Out
    Rock Bottom
    Shoot Shoot

But I also see a few mentions for 1/29/81 too. (But if you look here, UFO was *not* at the Hammersmith Odeon on the 29th: Gigs by Year - 1981: RaysGigs.com - Remember Where You Saw It First )

And then the disc in the 6 CD Bootleg box from 2/20/81 is:

Chains Chains
    Long Gone
    Cherry
    Only You Can Rock Me
    No Place To Run
    Love To Love
    Makin' Moves
    Mystery Train
    Lights Out

Identical to 1/10/81. 1/10/81 was a King Biscuit Flower Hour show. But the 1/28 date seems to be a BBC show. I can't find any evidence of 2/20 except for the box, and a Russian bootleg, that may have actually copied from the bootleg box.

I'm actually wondering if the Bootleg box purposefully misidentified that show, because maybe they didn't have the rights to really use it? (I'm still not sure about all the legalities as far as Wolfgang's Vault goes ...) Or maybe it was just a mistake. After all ... 1/10 .. 2/20 could be a typo?

19. kevin5brown

You mentioned the Hot n Live compilation in another post. I've had it since 2015, but had never listened to it. :hide:

I like it. The mastering could be a little better, I have it cranked now, and I wish it was smoother, but the sound quality of the performances themselves is great!

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They did a pretty good job picking the tracks.

It is interesting that they omitted the 1976 Roundhouse version of Gettin' Ready which was included on the reissue of Lights Out with bonus tracks.

It appears Mystery Train from the 1980 Marquee Club show represented on the beginning of disc 2 was omitted and included on the reissue of No Place To Run with bonus tracks instead.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  21. kevin5brown

Confirmed! The 2/20/81 show in the 6 CD Bootleg box is 1/10/81. It was this show, broadcast on FM radio way back when, that got me sucked into the rabbit hole of live UFO. :D Listen to this version of Light's Out. I think it's sublime. It's the same version added as a bonus track to the original Regenerator release:

UFO (5) - Regenerator - Live 1982

I think that version of Lights Out just kills!

[The low end on that is a little pumped up though.]

slipkid, John Fell and Jimmy Agates like this.
  22. kevin5brown

Eh, if anyone wants to know ... This one:

UFO (5) - Live In Texas, 1979

Sounds much better than what's in this one:

UFO (5) - Let It Roll

The Let it Roll Live in Texas sounds ear shriekingly bright vs the Retroworld CD. The Retroworld is extremely listenable. Let it Roll, is not.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Every year I think and consider posting more of my rock photography up on my Flickr page. Like the best shots of a given show. And I consider posting large batches from full rolls of a given group to the SH forums as a way to share some that might not be my best but that capture the event in a fun way.

So time rattles on and the years roll by of course. But then something happened this summer that freaked me out. "Some Girls" album hit the 40th anniversary. That's right 1978 was 40 years ago. Then I thought about the recent deaths of Tom Petty, and John Wetton, two that shocked me among many other recent deaths of the classic rockers from the 70s.

These events, especially the thought that 1978 (the year I took the most photos out of 1977 to 1983) was 40 years ago and time is not slowing down at all, I realized the time had come to get off my ass and scan the slides in a large archive I have of unseen rock photos. Some I might offer up for use at a photo stock house for licensing.

This roll of UFO captures them on the 1979 tour, and this date opening for Rush. No Place to Run is the new album, and the band is in good energetic form. Photography is not up to my finer standards, weak lighting and constant motion made for a tough shoot. Hope you enjoy these anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

play the barrooms just for pennies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]