All purpose UFO thread...ask anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Mike and Pete (ahem) way in on their last tour next year:

Pete Way and Michael Schenker Distance Themselves From UFO

I had read somewhere, that Paul Chapman had considered coming back in the early 2000's, but them Schenker returned for Covenant, and Sharks.

Interesting that Pete mentions that he wanted Chapman for his current band's tour. (I do like Paul Chapman!)

I wonder if there's any chance he'd be with UFO next year? Although I kinda do think it's more appropriate if Vinnie Moore is with them now.

slipkid likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Interesting. Two things I learned from that - one is that the band isn't done yet. I thought that Mogg already announced he was through but sounds instead like they are going to try to milk it some more. And two is that Pete Way is still making music. I had no idea he was still active in the music biz let alone had his own new band and was touring. I thought he was deathly ill or something like that. In any case, am glad he is OK but from what I recall he will not be able to tour the USA because of his drug past (?).

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I thought this too. I thought because of medical issues, his touring days were over. Good to hear he's still kickin' the jams. :)

Quick side note about Pete: Pete Way - Wikipedia

I didn't know that!

Phil turned 70 this year. I know there's some stuff out there about Michael saying that he's "fooling" the audience, but heck, if next year isn't his last tour, he surely doesn't have too many more left. Plus, none of us were born yesterday. Even though it's slated as his last tour with the band, it doesn't mean that it definitely is. If I didn't want to go see them, last tour or not, I wouldn't go see them. But I just got a couple of their more recent albums, they don't suck :), so last tour or not, I'll go. :D

slipkid likes this.
  4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Hi, haven’t had time to read this whole thread (I will) but can anyone comment on the best sounding CD versions of all UFO albums. I’m naturally assuming these are most likely the late 80’s issues as the newer remasters are pretty compressed. I own all of the remasters with bonus tracks as well as the Chysalis Years sets.

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Agree, just was exploring yesterday on Spotify and about 3 songs into Conspiracy purchased the vinyl. A bit later I purchased the vinyl for Seven Deadly having never even heard it. Vinnie Moore is an absolutely smokin’ guitar player!!

slipkid likes this.
  6. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

IMHO, the original Chrysalis discs are far superior to The Chrsyalis Years sets, which were remastered by very the undesirable Peter Mew.

kevin5brown and Jam757 like this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, yeah that’s unfortunate for me as that’s a lot of albums to replace. I noticed too that the 80’s CDs are not that cheap anymore as everyone knows they sound better. By no means do I think the new remasters are completely terrible but I think I’m gonna have to explore the earlier discs.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I actually prefer the remasters but I have tin ears I guess. I remember the first UFOs that I bought had so much hissss I couldn't stand 'em. I replaced them with very expensive Japanese imports when they came out, but the ones I spin now are the remasters.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  9. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Agree totally. There were a couple of minor errors with the Mew remasters so lets hope they are addressed with this upcoming Andy Pearce batch. In particular I'm referring to 2 second gaps between songs that should segue and the muffled sound on (I think it's) Too Hot To Handle where the first 20 or so seconds sounds like there's a blanket over your speakers.

slipkid likes this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

You might want to wait and see how the upcoming release of Phenomenon sounds. It's going to be mastered by Andy Pearce so it may sound pretty good plus it will have some bonus and live tracks too.

slipkid and Rufus rag like this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I also bought a bunch of BGO UFO's at one point as well, think they were 2 fers (?). Looking at my collection now I only still have the Japanese remasters (from around 2000, which cost me like $40 each!), the remasters (from 2009?), both of the Chrysalis Years fatboy reissues (from 2011?), and the confusing "EXPANDED EDITION" of Stranger (from 1999) vs. the "REMASTERED EDITION" (from 2008). Add to that the new upcoming ones (if they have extra tracks I need) and jeez, counting the original LPs I must have bought at least 5 versions of these albums. I am insane but take comfort in not being alone in that with other big fans out there like you guys.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Yep I'm in exactly the same boat...bought these albums so many times but played them all 1000's of times so I think I've got my moneys worth. As I've said before along with Loudness UFO are my favourite band ever. The only thing I don't own is that damn covers cd...horrible.

slipkid and Rufus rag like this.
  13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have been itching at doing a Force It song by song thread. Will a few folks join in?

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It sounds great but I will be on vacation for a week and not able to contribute.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I still own it but don't know why, it is like keeping a jar of toxic nuclear waste in my house. Beyond horrible. It's downright TOXIC. Maybe someday for fun I'll destroy it in a microwave or throw it on a BBQ to give it the death it deserves.

iggyd, warewolf95 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  16. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Couldn’t disagree more...there’s some GREAT stuff on their covers LP...Too Rolling Stoned, Just Got Paid, The Pusher...those songs ROCK!!!

MYQ1 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Glad you enjoy it but my review would be - Insipid, uninspired and flat as a pancake a disappointing way to end a superb career.

Jeff Minn, PJayBe and slipkid like this.
  18. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

How can you call it uninspired when they covered out of the box and against-type artists (for a hard rock/metal band) like Bill Withers, The Doors, and a few others? Those are risky and inspired choices!

19. Jimmy Agates

Aside from the Mad Season and at a stretch the Mellancamp cover I don't think the choices are inspired at all just typical stuff for a band of their vintage to cover. Either way this just doesn't float my boat at all and the band especially Phil sound tired and almost bored. As I said I'm glad you like it - UFO are my equal favourite band and they still slay it on stage so all good but this...well no thanks!!

RebelKatt and slipkid like this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's why I hate it so much. They cover some of my favorite songs of all time. And make them sound like crap :(

Just my opinion of course. And this is being said from someone who has nothing against covers and was looking fwd to hearing what UFO might do with some of those.

warewolf95 and RebelKatt like this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Btw, and YMMV (I would not be surprised if some people hate these) but I very much like these cover albums by Schenker...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That first one has been re-released & re-titled a couple times in very confusing fashion with extra tracks added. Reminds me that I need to get the other ones to get all the tracks...sigh...

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. RebelKatt

RebelKatt Forum Resident

I love Mechanix and No Place to Run.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Schenker's got a new album coming out

24. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

I wish I could get excited but no. Would much rather just see him play live.

Jimmy Agates, slipkid and Rufus rag like this.
  25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

My thoughts too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.