All things Charles Lloyd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sixteen years ago I bought a CD of Charles Lloyd "The Water Is Wide" and I've always loved it. For some unknown reason I've never looked any further into CL but after a couple of posts on Listening to jazz and conversation I decided to investigate further and wow, what a discography he has. Having quickly sampled and thoroughly enjoyed some albums I thought "this guy needs his own thread". From a purely selfish point of view I hope it will help me decide on my next purchase as I collect my way though his catalogue.
    I hope others will join me on this trip discussing this sadly underrated jazz musician.

sberger, Starwanderer and Joti Cover like this.
  2. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I always liked Which Way Is East (duets with Billy Higgins) and especially Rabo De Nube

David Ellis likes this.
  3. David Ellis

I sampled Rabo De Nube and it's a definite must have.

4. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

I too love The Water Is Wide. I'd also strongly recommend Lift Every Voice, Voice In The Night, The Call and Canto.

5. David Ellis

They're also on my must get list. This could be expensive:laugh:

6. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Love Lift Every Voice! The Marvels lp is beautiful too.

alamo54us and David Ellis like this.
  7. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

Love Charles Lloyd, seen him live 3 times and he's an amazing person. He is on a higher plane than I am for sure.

My favorite stuff is the first three ECM releases, Fish Out of Water, Notes From Big Sur, and especially The Call. That record haunts my soul. The next two are good as well, All My Relations and Canto. I guess I'm a huge Bobo Stenson fan for sure.

Thanks for giving me a reason for my first post, Charles Lloyd FTW! :wave:

GregM, alamo54us, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If you have a turntable, grab the first clean copies of Dream Weaver, and Charles Lloyd in Europe on Atlantic you can find.

djost, Joti Cover and David Ellis like this.
  9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

The legend of Charles Lloyd and Keith Jarrett started with Forest Flower, it's an iconic record so grab that asap.

Also pick up Canto which I feel is not only his best ECM release but one of the best (top 25) in the history of the ECM label.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like early Lloyd a lot more than later Lloyd, just my personal preference. I recommend his work with Chico Hamilton as a sideman and leader, on Impulse and Columbia.

11. David Ellis

You're welcome and welcome. Thanks for the opinion these are on my list but there's just so much on my list:sigh:

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  12. David Ellis

You old timer you:laugh:
    Cheers Lon, I always value your opinion. NB that's not to say I don't value all opinions:oops:

Lonson likes this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I'm definitely an old timer. . .been collecting jazz since the early 'seventies and listened to it before that. My wife thinks I have every jazz recording every made. Not quite. . . but I'm working on it. . . ;)

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A few years ago I found the Columbia LP with his original version of "Forest Flower," including Roy Haynes on drums. Neat tune.

David Ellis, Joti Cover and Rich C like this.
  15. kellys

kellys Forum Resident

Charles Lloyd is an artist I discovered only a couple of years ago and is quickly becoming one of my favourites. I especially love his ECM stuff, Haven't found one I dislike yet. "Athens Concert" is a go to cd for me. It's beautiful, timeless and worldly all at once.

16. St.Noah

St.Noah Member

Has anyone heard "I Long To See You" by Charles Lloyd & The Marvels (released back in January 2016 it seems)?

I'm as attracted by the presence of Frisell (as always) as discouraged by the guest vocal spots from Willie Nelson & Snorah J.

But if someone can recommend it.....

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Let me be the first. I think it's a great addition to the Lloyd catalog. His and Frisell's styles are a perfect match. There are a couple of complete concerts of this band, promoting the album, up on YouTube, so you can see if it's up your alley. It's definitely up mine.

My first exposure to Lloyd was "Warm Waters," back in the 70's. Interesting (and roundly panned) album that featured Brian Wilson and Dave Mason, among other. I'm still hoping someone will release it on CD.

David Ellis and CrankSomeFrank like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

As Lon mentioned Lloyd's work with Chico Hamilton is not to be ignored. It shows he already had some serious mojo going on. His early albums on Columbia and Atlantic are very good but different if all you know is ECM era Lloyd. Mot there's anything wrong with that long and still growing list. Rabo de Nube is the last title I've bought so I'm a little behind. The last time I saw him was in Healdsburg, California at their small festival which means Charles was very available so we got to talk to him before the gig outside while hanging out on the street, i.e. loitering. His career is definitely at another high point.

One of my favorite phases of his career is his quartet with Bobo Stenson on piano. There are three or four I think. The Call, Notes From Big Sur, Canto and maybe one more.

19. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Based on a post in another thread, I just ordered the ECM "Quartets" box for a decent price on Amazon. I'm looking forward to hearing these 5 ECM releases.
    A few months ago, another forum member alerted me to a 32Jazz dual CD package that included both "Dream Weaver" and "Love In," called "Just Before Sunrise." I found a new copy cheap on Discogs. Worth looking for if you're building a Lloyd collection.

CrankSomeFrank and David Ellis like this.
  20. David Ellis

Great info, thanks.

21. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Got my "Quartets" ECM box today, and popped "Canto" into the CD player; an absolutely beautiful album. I couldn't be more pleased with this set.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  22. David Ellis

:drool:

23. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

One of my fave jazz Lps is Waves, with Gabor Szabo, Roger McGuinn and The Beach Boys...one of my few remaining holy grails is Warm Waters, with John Cipollina, wicked rare because it's on Kapp...

Ignatius likes this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm with you. I got the cd of "Waves" for a steal and would love to get "Warm Waters" too.

alamo54us likes this.
  25. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I don't think I've even heard a clean needle drop of this record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.