All Things Doom Metal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MUSIC, Aug 5, 2012.

1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This is purely general, but:
    Black Metal:

Dissidence, The Hud and I333I like this.
  2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Doom Metal:

Of course the genres have diversified somewhat over the years - these two bands were ealy proponents of their respective genres.

Dissidence likes this.
  3. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Early Sabbath, Alice in Chains' later work, and the second side of Black Flag's My War is as far as I've gotten with doom metal.

Dissidence likes this.
  4. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

You might venture into Saint Vitus if you liked My War....

This one's a live rendition of Zombie Hunger, from the S/T. The album itself was recorded in 1982 & released in 1984, actually slightly predating My War.

5. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

I guess to be really general. Consider the song "Black Sabbath" Slower with a vibe of dread.
    This can go off in many directions. The extreme can be at a crawling pace and depressing.
    You may want to hide any sharp objects you have before checking out Winter or Evoken.
    The majority of bands, I'd say are more riff focused, sometimes becoming indiscernible from stoner rock. A lot of it is the attitude.

6. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident

c standard

7. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Strikeback

Dissidence and Michel_LeGrisbi like this.
  8. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

9. raginghessian

raginghessian Well-Known Member

are you kidding ….The Beatles invented Doom Metal with "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

I have always been partial to Cathedral and have loved "Forest Of Equilibrium" since it came out. I was way into Napalm Death and the whole Earache Records thing and I heard that Lee Dorian had left Napalm to start a new band. I knew nothing about Cathedral and my first spin of that record was one of the few times I got goose bumps while listening to something for the first time. I have bought every album of theirs since then and although they can be a bit hit or miss I still love them. The one album that I think is just sorely overlooked is "Endtyme" because to me, it is as good as "Forest" maybe even rocks harder.

I can't tell you how many times I have listened to Trouble's self titled album, the songs on it are just so ****ing great. There was talk of the couple of Trouble albums on Def American getting remastered, which they desperately need, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. I know The Skull and Psalm 9 got remastered awhile ago …my original Metal Blade Psalm 9 CD had been mastered from a vinyl copy that they really didn't bother to clean up much, it used to crack me up listening to the narration intro on the title track and hearing clicks and pops.

Neurosis - "Times Of Grace" is great
    High On Fire - "Death Is This Communion" not completely doom but still phenomenal
    Assunder - "A Clarion Call"
    and not necessarily "doom" but is anyone into Witchcraft? ….they have a couple of really great albums

ifihadafish likes this.
  10. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

i've been pretty burnt out on doom the past couple of years, people rave about some bands and i just don't see the big deal. I will say i LOVED the new Goatsnake, but they were always one of my favorite bands anyway. I may as well use this to plug the sludge band i've been in for the past 10 years. here is a link to our last release. A bit more riffy than previous records. https://fatturadellamorte1.bandcamp.com/releases

11. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

For the Goatsnake fans - hope you like our cover of a cover of a cover.

12. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Holy crap! I just listened to Salem Pot's 2014 album, "Lurar ut dig pa prarien." It's a wicked combination--Black Sabbath meets a groovy, sexy, psychedelic vibe. I don't know anything about doom metal. Does it all serve as good background music to, ahem, other activities? :righton: It sounds like a lost soundtrack from a David Lynch film.

13. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Place of Skulls

Dissidence likes this.
  14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

What do you get when you cross Cathedral with Electric Wizard???

WITH THE DEAD

15. keep667

keep667 Senior Member

GodShifter and wdiv like this.
  16. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Would "All Them Witches" be considered Doom Metal? What an interesting band. I listened to The Lightning At The Door album this afternoon (on vinyl). Impressive and great sounding album.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think All Them Witches would fall more under the umbrella of stoner rock than true doom. Good band, though.

18. keep667

keep667 Senior Member

I would say stoner as well but labels are annoying so let's just say they are a really good band that work on several levels and anything they put out, I will buy.

19. popeofcabinets

popeofcabinets Forum Resident

the Melvins! amazing band.

Dissidence likes this.
  20. popeofcabinets

popeofcabinets Forum Resident

Sleep is great too. they just played Dallas last week. great show

Dissidence likes this.
  21. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

How about Pentagram?
    Or Spirit Caravan
    The Hidden Hand
    Wino
    Life Beyond
    Orchid
    Or the mighty Trouble!

22. 32XD Japan1

The first 3 Trouble CDs on metal blade sound rough. But they were low budget recordings to begin with. The ST Trouble is my favorite, I have both the original US and the first Japan pressing. Forget about some remonstered hack job, get the Japan. It's night and day compared to the US pressing.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. ifihadafish

New Trouble album brewing I believe.

Hopefully new The Skull album too.

Someday need Eric back in Trouble as well (but not faulting his work outside of the band - he's firing them out rightly compared to the speed Rick and Bruce are working at)

GodShifter likes this.
  24. 32XD Japan1

The new singer is awful. Can't listen to the new stuff post Simple Mind Condition.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. ifihadafish

Kory Clarke was bloody terrible! Worst 'Pro' singer I have ever encountered.

I don't mind Kyle on the Distortion Field album (its just strange not hearing Eric!)

The Skull lads know how to sound Troubley though lol