All Things Kurt Vile

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffrey walsh, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

^ "I park for free" ha ha

Wow, sounds like Kurt Vile is consistently classic Kurt Vile. Assuming this is a new album, sounds good. Love his loopy lyrics.

notesofachord likes this.
  2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I received a promotional parking ticket in the mail from KV. Kinda freaked me out at first because it really does look like a ticket.

asdf35 likes this.
  3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member Thread Starter

Excellent, just made my day even better!

4. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

New album Bottle It In, out October 12th! Matador link here.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I like him, he’s been on regular rotation on the Fordham university college radio station (WFUV) for a while now. A Solid song writer and slightly off beat.

asdf35 likes this.
  6. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I listened to this and for the first three or four minutes my impression was: "Eh, nothing great - treading the water, KV", but then by the sixth or seventh minute I had gotten completely sucked in to the track and was lost in a KV-induced bliss. I don't know how he does it, but he does it - as always.

8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

asdf35 and Ernest T like this.
  9. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Have ‘Smoke Rings...” on CD and his 2 follow ups on vinyl. Really enjoy his laconic delivery and run-on solos. He’s so mellow & positive. The Bride likes him too for his conversational Lou Reed vibes. An A+ artist around my house...

10. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

And one more new single, "One Trick Ponies":

11. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

Man, I completely agree. Also, when I hear a lot of his songs for the first time, I think they sound just like one of his previous efforts. But after I listen for a few times, the song will bloom into its own thing and then I can’t figure out why I would confuse it with anything else. It’s kind of creepy, actually, how he does it. There is some magic in that guy, for sure.

fourfeathers and notesofachord like this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'm digging the vintage graphics on the Bottle it In album cover:

[​IMG]

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said, it's like I've heard this music before, but yet I have not...got in to his music a couple years back, will be picking up the vinyl of it this week if my local shop gets it...Noon is their cut off time on Tuesdays for a special order, so glad I just saw this was coming out. This release needs it's own thread.

14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My local shop's supplier sold out of the Indie Blue vinyl version before it even shipped...but was able to get the Indie version from Turntable Lab and it will be delivered this Saturday, so all good.

One thing that kind of bites though, there is another limited Orange Vinyl (800 copies) that has an alternate die-cut cover...bummer. Going for over $75 already...oh well, still happy.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Got my Matador preorder yesterday and spinning it tonight. Another great album by KV...so familiar, but so engaging. Looking forward to seeing him in December.

scotti likes this.
  17. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This new album is ****ing fantastic. A wonderful mix of stellar songcraft and those classic KV meandering masterpieces. Thank you Kurt for not censoring yourself -- Bottle It In is 80 minutes of pure, psychedelic bliss! I don't say this often, but I LOVED how long this album was. Kurt gives each track a chance to live and breathe fully. Nothing feels rushed.

Not many artists these days have the guts to drop an album with three ten-minute epics. Completely agree with other comments that Kurt's songs have a way of sucking you in. "Backasswards", "Bottle It In" and "Skinny Mini" all seem simple on the surface but bear SO MUCH FRUIT with repeated listening. Fantastic harmonies and tasteful instrumental touches abound. And MY GOD -- the guitar tones!!! Many tracks reminded me of "Will To Love", if for nothing else than spookily perfect overdubs. These must have been some seriously spiritual recording sessions.

This album is disarmingly casual, with lyrical false starts and other stream-of-conscious ramblings left in to great effect. Which makes it almost shocking when a perfectly crafted tune like "Rollin' With The Flow" emerges, one of Kurt's strongest and most purely songwriterly compositions this decade.

Cannot WAIT to blast this vinyl all weekend. Well done KV!

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nice comments from you and Kevin j! My vinyl is arriving on Saturday. How is the sound quality and such with the vinyl version?

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It’s very good. I got the split purple/pink version and it’s flat and quiet. Great Sonics, at least to my ears. Crisp. I’ve been hearing “bassackwards” on the radio for the past month or so, but hearing it on vinyl was a revelation. KV’s voice is so sparse and out front.

notesofachord and scotti like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got lucky and my copy of the vinyl arrived Friday. Got the Indie Blue version and as "Kevin j" stated, it has great sonic's. Well yes it does and more. The sound quality of this album is borderline audiophile, it's that good! And quiet as can be.

I have only listened to it once all the way through, and had only heard about 30 seconds of it before hand. Just from one listen, this is already my second favorite album of the year, it's just an incredible listen! Now as someone that has written a ton of reviews for trade magazines over the years, I find that where some magazine/on line reviewers have nailed this, others start off by talking about how long of a CD it is, I believe it's around 79 minutes. But I would review it as a double album, because that's exactly what it is, and a brilliant one at that.

None of the songs are too long, just perfect IMO and the best way for me to describe this, it is one of the coolest Stoner Rock/Psychedelic albums I have ever heard! The first line of "fourfeathers" post, nails this album perfectly!

No doubt, this one is going to be a major grower and IMO, some of the published reviews that are less than stellar, reviewed with not enough time spent. This album is just made for tipping back some cold ones and a nice hang on the Bob Marley caboose if you will. Can't wait to go on another journey with it today!

notesofachord likes this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They were playing that vinyl in the record store I was browsing in, and I bought the CD as a result. Hope I haven't been spoiled.

emollerstuen and scotti like this.
  22. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've got it on the way. Another Vile production is always welcome here. I wonder about the new Tweedy?

23. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

Picked up my copy of BII yesterday. Vinyl is perfect. Sound is really good. Thumbs up, KV.

fourfeathers likes this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Great set!

25. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Why cd and not lp, if I may ask?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.