All Things Must Pass 2017 vinyl: why aren't we talking about this excellent reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rischa, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

See my comment about the Japanese All Things Must Pass below. It may lead you to what you're looking for if you know what "Usenet" is.....

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I dumped mine and I’m a huge fan of this album. SQ aside, I did not like the presentation, the extra tracks tacked on the end of each side, artwork.

Jerry Horne and BlueSpeedway like this.
  3. feinstei9415

Apparently, the LP version of that version is going for big bucks these days. Mine is sitting on my shelf unplayed. Like you, the extra tracks and the distorted version of "My Sweet Lord" soured me to that release. The color picture lacked the elegance of the original presentation of the album.

Further and BlueSpeedway like this.
  4. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

This is my answer as well. I have an original pressing and I also have a repress that was done for RSD a few years ago. I'm not plunking down $75 for another. That's FAR too steep. The whole Harrison box is far too steep. The thing rings in at over $400 USD. Are they crazy? I didn't even pay that much for the Beatles mono vinyl box so there's no way the Harrison estate is going to extract $400+ USD from me for that box. No way.

I bought the new CDs and I have the Dark Horse box. I'm good.

Rickchick and BlueSpeedway like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Was that the one on Apple? I had bad pressing related issues with it.

6. feinstei9415

If you're speaking about the Record Store Day release (your post was ambiguous as to whether you were talking about the Japanese release or the Record Store Day release from 2010), yes there were many many people who had bad pressings of that Record Store Day release. I was lucky and got one that was flawless.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The Record Store Day release. A shame too because it beautifully re-created the original album with the sliced Apple on the second sides; that's my only gripe with the U.K. label design; both sides are of the full orange Apple.

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The sound is okay, I wouldn’t say its anything special. For me, it started off well but I found that as things got more complex it seemed to get a little messy. Compared to a good all analog reissue or a top digital vinyl release, I found it slightly lacking.

The box itself, the packaging as a whole and the pressing of the records is beyond reproach and absolutely top notch...but the mastering I feel could be a little better.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure this isn’t all analog?

10. feinstei9415

Pretty sure what isn't all analog? The Record Store Day release? The 2017 remaster? Here's the blurb from Apple regarding the Record Store Day release....

All Things Must Pass 40th Anniversary 3-LP Vinyl Collection – George Harrison

It's possible that the mastered it to digital and then cut from that digital master, it's hard to tell by their double-talk.... There are rumors that the 2017 is not analogue mastered either. It's very possible that the Record Store Day release and the 2017 release are from the same masters.... Who knows, and, in the long run, who cares?

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have an original U.S. and an original U.K. box. The U.K. is far better. The U.S. is rolled off in the bass and a bit bright on top.

I also have the '90s digital remaster with the color box cover art. You can hear deeper into the mix with the digital one, but the U.K. has better liquidity, a better sense of flow.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

Generally, mastered from the original master tapes can be digitally mastered. Cut from the original master tapes means analog.

13. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I'm just going to stick with my OP. This can be easily acquired at a low price, the only limiting factor being that the boxes are almost always crunched and/or the poster is missing. It's like they made the packaging to be crushed, torn, and otherwise thrashed while the vinyl within remains in great condition.

14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I thought this was a great reissue. Packaging is top notch too as others have mentioned. Amazon had it for around $35 And thought it was too good to pass up. Glad I bought it.

patient_ot and rischa like this.
  15. AnalogJ

In any form, the first 2 LPs are classic.

4_everyman and rischa like this.
  16. Vinylanswer.net

Vinylanswer.net Forum Resident

There is a Jan 2017 analog planet article that quotes Ron McMaster on the Harrison box that came out along side the ATMP box that had the same hype stocker regarding the original tapes. It said:

According to Capitol mastering engineer Ron McMaster:

Regarding the George Harrison Box Set, the vinyl masters were cut from 96khz/24bit mastered files so that the cut could reflect the EQ choices approved by the Harrison family. Additionally the mastering was done from 96khz/24bit files that were meticulously generated from the original master tapes in order to complete the necessary restoration work required before mastering.

Read more at George Harrison Sixteen LP Box Set Readied by UMe and Harrison Estate

17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. That is a bit misleading. I've never cared to much if my vinyl is cut from digital as long as it sounds good, though, and these sound great as far as I'm concerned.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  18. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I am thoroughly confused about this now. I picked one up a few months ago on Amazon for $39. It is still sealed. The sticker on the shrink wrap says it is from 2014, but the UPC # is the same as the one people are saying is the 2017 issue. Can anyone confirm the one from 2017 does NOT have a sticker with 2014 on it? Are they actually different pressings?

19. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Lyric booklet? I don't remember that being part of the original package. Mine has the lyrics printed on each individual album sleeve.

20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Good Morning Chris!!
    Hope you had a good Holiday with your family!!
    Gerry/Beave

21. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

From what I remember about Japanese vinyl from the 70's is that even though they were dead quiet pressings the sound quality was always mixed and I believe that is what the general opinion is on this forum of them. Since the copyright laws were/are different in Japan, they could apparently release whatever they wanted? Not sure of the details, but I DO remember reading and hearing that the sources used were almost never from a master tape. No record companies were sending master tapes to Japan or it was thought to be highly unlikely, so the pressings were sourced from goodness knows how many generation tape copies or in some cases British metal parts, especially Toshiba EMI, from their UK location? This could explain (although I've never heard) the ATMP original Japanese pressing sound quality and I also believe it might have been the case for some of the earlier or perhaps most Pink Floyd titles coming from Japan in those days. Anyone have similar memories or knowledge on this subject? Notice my punctuation is mostly question marks so I have no affirmation or confirmation on any of this. I had for sometime contemplated pulling the trigger on an original Japanese EMI ATMP but never followed through.

22. AnalogJ

Another one I'm seeing a lot is "Sourced from the original master tapes". That's another sort of digital mastering giveaway.

23. erocky

erocky Senior Member

No way that I would pay $70 for a reissue of this. There are many copies of this album out there for $20 and less.

How can anyone justify $70 for a 47 year old album with about 100 minutes of music? The third record is an unrehearsed set of structureless jams?

ohnothimagen likes this.
  24. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

The 2017 has a rectangular sticker that does say 2014 on it. The RSD version has an outlined red apple sticker that does not have the year on it.

25. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine didn't say 2014 anywhere on the packaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.