All Things Must Pass CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SimplyOrange, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a UK pressing with "Nimbus" and three dots in a pyramid shape on the inner ring.

Is...is that good? Is that what I want?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. SimplyOrange

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

How does it sound :confused:

Mal likes this.
  5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Hey, we're counting dots here!

:)

6. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

The recent CD remaster is very good and easy to find! Sounds much better than the 2001 remaster, and better than my old fat box cased disc did too!

Evan L likes this.
  7. SimplyOrange

Kinda flat to be honest. I think the dots are not giving us the whole picture here! :D
    Will try that one. Thanks.

andy75 likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 2014 "ATMP" is available only in the "Apple Years" box, right? IIRC, the standalone in the US is still the 2001 version...

9. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

The 2014 ATMP was issued separately (with original uncolorized artwork), and sounds great.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ah - I found it on Amazon! When I initially searched, I only turned up the old one, but an alternate search - via "George Harrison" instead of "All Things Must Pass" - found the 2014 version.

I had it in my head the 2014 was only in the Apple box, but obviously my head was wrong! :)

11. SimplyOrange

Giving the 2014 a listen now. Sounds great on my home system. Terrible in my car stereo though. I'm surprised considering it's aftermarket too.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It has about the same loudness as the 2001 but less brightness. I'll bet your car does not like the loudness. I do like the 2014 btw.

13. SimplyOrange

Yeah sounds excellent even on my horn speakers. My car stereo seems to be very picky.

14. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Happy you like it! IMO all the 2014 remasters sounds great.

15. SimplyOrange

Yeah, I liked the 2014 of Material World as well, though the 2006 shipped to me by mistake was fine too.

andy75 likes this.
  16. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

So is the CP28 still considered the best over all remasters including the HD?

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The CP28 or 2010 High Res Download are the best IMO.

ricks likes this.
  18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Sucks that the Excellent vinyl-like 2010 download was replaced with a greatly inferior mastering*. All Things Must Pass indeed.

*=I am not stating the 2014 is horrible, only that in my opinion the sound quality is vastly inferior compared to the 2010.

rnranimal and Maidenpriest like this.
  19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I feel it remains the best CD/Redbook option. The 2010 Hi-Res download is truly excellent and for most likely superior. There was a Toshiba Red Vinyl rip which made the rounds 4-5 years ago that is also really nice.

For those who do not feel the need to be "holier than thou" then purchase the 2014 [but do not download it] and search for a free download of the 2010.

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I find the 2014 remaster CD slightly better than the 2001. I have been listening to them side by side and the difference is slight. Am I of the minority opinion?

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The 2014 remaster is better than the 2001, but not as good as the hi-res 2010 download or the CP28 Jpn. pressing CD.

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree that it is better, just not by much.

23. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

2014 remaster is the best on CD, but the high-res download is even better. No compression was added to it either - notice the huge difference in volume.

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

No issues with you preferring the sound of the 2014 as that is totally 100% subjective opinion, however you are simply not correct in stating the 2014 download had no compression during mastering added. The 2014 download is Dynamically Compressed, it is very apparent compared to the 2010 Hi Res download. The 2010 Hi-res download is as close audiophile as this album will ever get digitally. It's as good as anything DCC, AF, MFSL, AP could ever have hoped to do with ATMP given the recording.

George P likes this.
  25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Is that 2010 version available anywhere?
    How is the iTunes download?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.