All Things Must Pass - Vinyl vs. Digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lemon Curry, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd Thread Starter

Many words have been spoken about George Harrison's masterpiece, All Things Must Pass. The recording is dense and layered, and I'd like to see what forum members think about how to best listen to that mix.

Perhaps we'll someday have a remix that is much dryer to consider. But for the moment we only have the original. Which format gives that mix the most justice: the original vinyl, or digital remasters?

DK Pete likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Vinyl for me.

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The vinyl for ATMP

I do like the digital remasters as well.

4. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Never had or heard this on vinyl but the (2014? I think) CD remaster sounds the business.

bhazen and George P like this.
  5. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

The rare download in HI-res from his website (still not longer available?) was the best.

Carlox, Batfish, costanza69 and 18 others like this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd Thread Starter

Is there such a beast available now?

hiterss likes this.
  7. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I don't know. I have the UK vinyl first pressing and the German first pressing (which is pressed on much quieter vinyl). The American Capitol isn't great. The digital versions I've heard aren't all that great. In short, the album is just kind of a reverb-laden, boomy mess. I love the album's songs, but short of a remix, I'm not sure some of the sonic problems can be addressed.

JasonA, Old Rusty and yasujiro like this.
  8. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

So strange how it is no longer available. Glad I purchased it when it was first released.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have an original 1970 U.S. vinyl, the most current remaster from the Apple Years on CD and vinyl and the 2001 CD remaster. Overall, the Apple Years CD gives the best combination of "warm" and "clean" on the non-problematic tracks. On the over-produced tracks however(like Wah-Wah to name one), the clutter is worse than ever. The 2001 CD improves on this a bit. So there's really not one specific version from which I can fully enjoy the album, start to finish. If I could combine most tracks from the Apple Years with the ones in most need of improvement from the 2001, that's the "one" I'd be happiest with. Truly a great album in serious need of a remix.

10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

How about the most recent vinyl reissue, been thinking of picking up but not sure, I believe it came out within the past couple of years

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    JFSebastion likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

They must have run out of files...;)

Shaddam IV, mindgames and RiRiIII like this.
  12. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

It's vinyl for me, not just because of the music which is very good but it's the physicality of handling the box, the LPs, reading the sleeves. That's the thing with digital you don't get that. Even the CD set isn't the same unless it's the S.E. with the magnifying glass.

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The 24/96 is available on HDTracks

14. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

That is not the same version that was briefly available in 2010 that others are talking about here--which I also happen to agree the 2010 is the best version.

marcb, yamfox and longdist01 like this.
  15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

It's such a shame this album was so poorly produced...or over produced?

I've got a very clean original US mix, the RSD release from 2010 (is that even possible it's been that long??!?) and the new box version.

I've yet to crack the plastic on the box version, with the 2010 being my preferred.

16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ok, I assumed it probably was as it wouldn't make sense to redo it as the 2010 version is so good.

17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

As a CD listener my go to copy is the original UK "Mastered By Nimbus" set.

furmanu and noahjld like this.
  18. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

the 2017 vinyl remaster is very quiet. you can turn it up and hear some of the details that are buried in the mix. Now. whether the pathway is all analog? I tend to doubt it. i have a first pressing 1970 which I bought with my snow shoveling money oh so long ago. I was all of 12 yrs old but had already started an album collection( maybe 12 albums, but 25-30 singles).

19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

So the 2017 might be worth the $

20. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

2010 high-res set the bar for ATMP. Japanese red wax vinyl was also quite good. Nothing else came close to those SQ-wise.

BZync and ricks like this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Based on the suggestions on a old thread, I tracked down a copy of the 2010 hi-rez mastering and it definitely beats all the CD versions I have heard! I am not well versed with it on vinyl besides hearing needledrops of the overall favorite pressings, in that case the hi-rez sounds just as good as those in my opinion

BZync likes this.
  22. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

again if you're okay with some digital in the remastering process, then definately yes. It is drop dead silent. pressed in GERMANY. Might be at Optimal. Bernie Grundman is involved and has all the original poster and sleeve artwork. The only real difference is the orange apple on the label is a whole apple on both sides. Rather than a whole apple on the A and C side and half apple on the B and D side. Hope this helps. Get a copy before they dry up. It was said to be a limited release!

tinnox likes this.
  23. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I'm confused. Is the 2017 the stand-alone version released around the same time as the GH box set? I thought all of these were done with digital sources: George Harrison Sixteen LP Box Set Readied by UMe and Harrison Estate

24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I will have to get thank you, did not know it was a limited release

The Beave likes this.
  25. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I have a digital rip on my PC for convenience, but I think the US vinyl sounds alright still after all this time. This was one of the first solo George LPs I picked up when I started seriously collecting as a teenager in 84-85. Back then there were lots of good quality copies of this in record stores and the boxes were solid and not selling for crazy ridiculous prices. Most of the people who bought copies of this when it was new must have taken pretty good care of the album because I usually saw it in pretty good condition. I picked up two in great condition both with poster, I think each one was less than $10. This album was very easy to find. Stupidly, I took one poster out and taped it on my wall next to an original White Album poster, which was also a dumb thing to do. But ten years later it was a little harder to find ATMP on vinyl and when you did see them, the boxes were crushed flat and it was a total mess, LPs scratched, boxes all Scotch taped, no poster, etc. My best guess is that perhaps some of the people who picked up the second-hand copies for cheap did not treat them well and as a result these third-plus hand copies got trashed. Very sad. I'd list this, Cloud Nine and Brainwashed as my very favorite Harrison solo albums and I'd even say that the best songs on ATMP measure up to some of the best The Beatles delivered in their latter days.

JFSebastion and Musician95616 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.