All Things Must Pass - Will we ever get a remixed/unSpectorized version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Octavian, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Having listened to it several times since my purchase last saturday (and loving it more and more) I'll have to say leave it alone as well. The album befits a grand sound. Especially the slower, more epic songs sound vibrant and huge with Crazy Philly's Wall Of Reverb. The album sounds like a huge statement, like it's recorded in a large atelier-turned-studio, and it has an air of post-Beatles mourning about it. I'm also pretty sure Jeff Lynne took note of the production at hand. Some passages sound very ELO-esque.
    It's a 5-star masterpiece in every way, jams included!

Anyone else notices how fragile George sounds on the 2001 remake of My Sweet Lord? I understand it with his condition at the time and I really applaud his dedication to it. Very touching.

longdist01 and lennonfan1 like this.
  2. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would you be okay with it if it was considered a Naked version of the album, like the Let it Be version?

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I like remixes but I have no quarrels with the original mix. I wouldn't want to hear a cleaned up Crystals album.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'll hold out in the classifieds for the garden gnome.

5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

"All Things Must Pass" is the grandeurest Beatles related album of all time, it's a marvel to the senses and should be left as it is.
    You don't go retouch a Picasso.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Not in this case.

It was okay with Let It Be. A great album as it was, but the dismay towards the choirs by Sir Macca was understandable and Naked also seemed as intended. With ATMP such a thing isn't quite the case. George's opinion anno 2001 reeked of pure revisionism as well.

NunoBento likes this.
  7. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Look, respect the past and learn something.

pseudopod and cartologist like this.
  8. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

As long as the original is available, I say breathe some new life into it. The WALL OF SOUND just sounds dated.
    Don't get me wrong, -- I love the original and play it frequently. But a more classic sound like bass, guitars, drum, and
    keyboards and a bit more simplicity could be very interesting. What a remix and a 5.1 remix could do !!!!!! (as long as
    Giles Martin isn't involved.)

Carlox and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

personally, as much as i'd love to hear the album "stripped," as it were, there's only one thing certain:

if they re-released it in "naked" form, a bunch of us would buy it and find fault with it.
    then, 10 years later, they're re-release the original mix "as the artist intended," etc. and many of us would find fault with it.

i kinda like the original 80's digital release, though i DEFINITELY can find fault with it.

lots of good tunes on this album.

god bless george.

smitquest

NunoBento, marmalade166 and forthlin like this.
  10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

The songs are gorgeous, and it'd be great to hear them without all the bloody REVERB that's slathered all over it

Carlox, Shaddam IV and vitorbastos123 like this.
  11. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

The thing is, once this thing is remixed, 84% of you nay-sayers will purchase it.

Carlox, Morton LaBongo, boggs and 2 others like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

A "Naked" version of sorts has always been available in the form of the demos that George played for Phil. I think mine is called Beware of ABKCO. It's not great - many of the songs have pretty weak melodies that were probably helped by the massive production. Worth owning as there are a few numbers that have never been officially recorded or released by George.

longdist01 and BeauZooka like this.
  13. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

I went to a speaking engagement by Ken Scott a few years ago in Hollywood where he was discussing his new book and some of the milestone albums he recorded and produced, he spent a good portion of his time discussing ATMP, he had the multi tracks on a PC and built up 'what is life' from scratch explaining as the song went along how he and Phil built it up with stories and interjections along the way about the musicians etc. It was phenomenal to say the least and as a fan of 5.1 it floored me what could be done with it. As I recall he even toyed around a bit with it.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  14. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'd much like to hear a de-Spectorized edition!

Carlox and Shaddam IV like this.
  15. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

I'm happy enough with my original and the set released a few years ago.
    I would like to see a nice new Concert for Bangladesh vinyl box set released.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

The opinion could also be that it was a brilliant piece of art and then it was retouched by Spector.

Carlox, marmalade166 and boggs like this.
  17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Agreed, the tracks that we have before Spector slathered his reverb over everything sound superb as it is

ralph7109 likes this.
  18. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

In this interview, around 1979, George said that he listened to ATMP when he was recording his self title album, and mentions that he would liked to have remixed because it sounded dated!

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ehh, "ATMP" was never as dated as George's 1979 perm! :D

20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

"Slathered his reverb" is a bit harsh for such a well loved album.

If we strip the production away, so would go much of the grandeur.

21. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

I would just want a version that includes a bunch of demos, in the same vein of Let it Down (acoustic). I've grown to enjoy the production of All Thing Must Pass, but I agree I'm incredibly curious what a stripped down version would sound like. Some of the songs work great with wall of sound, others are just too much.

Carlox likes this.
  22. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have since come around on the Spector version since I posted this. I get it now.

That doesn’t stop me from wanting to hear a cleaner, remixed version though. If George wanted it, he must’ve thought it would sound good.

Carlox likes this.
  23. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

All things must pass is as good as Let it Be

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The album sounds fine the way it is. Could you imagine if the Harrison estate had Giles remix ATMP? This forum would blow up.

blutiga, Fullbug, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  25. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I'll take that bate....ANYONE BUT GILES.......!:hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.