Allan Parson's Tales of Mystery and Imagination on MFSL Anadisq

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tullman, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I have two of these. I thought I screwed up the first one because I played it with a broken stylus, which went skidding across the surface. The record was loaded with snaps and pops. So, I go and get another sealed one. The vinyl is loaded with snaps and pops. Side two is especially bad because of all of the quiet passages. I have other anadisq lp's and they have very little surface noise. What gives with this one??

Has anyone else on here had problems with this record??

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Queen's "Day At Races" on Anadisq. Also, not a very clean record as far as RTI put forth. You can't even hear the first piano chord on "Somebody To Love" which is very faint. The crackle patrol goes right over it. Sad.
    You're not alone.

3. Tullman

Yeah but the crakles make the thing impossible to listen to. That really sucks!! Do these things dissapate with continued play?

Tarkus, Clapton and The Allman Brothers and Sisters lps are very quiet.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not for me. Totally in the pressing, i'm afraid. They're not like the JVC's of long ago.

5. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

My copy of Parson's Tales is quite noisy too, as are my copies of ELP's Tarkus, REM's Reckoning, and Queen's Day at the Races.

6. Humorem

Humorem New Member

RTI wasn't good enough for the masterminds at MOFI so they built their own plant and started from scratch. You are hearing the painful learning curve of attempting such a feat.

Music Direct is doing a similiar thing even as we speak, setting up their own mastering suite, when there are tried and true ones already up and running. There's a difference between having high standards and just being foolish, something some people have to learn the hard way it seems.

BTW, the original domestic pressings of that Parsons LP murder the MOFI so don't worry about the vinyl, just put it back on ebay where it belongs.

TP

7. Ben

Ben New Member

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

The Gold CD is good... seems to have been done at a rather low level though - I usually listen to it with the volume level at 12 to 1, while 11 is fine for most other CDs.

The remix by Alan Parsons on Mercury is not bad either. In fact I wish the gold CD had the Orson Welles narration.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Mo-Fi was really good at tootin' their own horn about the anadisc 200's but Sckott is right, they wren't even close to the best JVC supervinyls of yesteryear.

Loved the gold CD of Tales & Imagination (I also wish the Orson Wells Narations were on there as well.)

That 1987 remix CD will never see my CD player again. Harsh harsh Harsh.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I was really happy to learn that the Orson Wells naration was NOT on the gold disc! It really was the 'original recording' as it was the same mix as on the vinyl. Don't forget that there are added guitar parts on the '87 remix, too. Those additions made it unlistenable for me. Sorry, Alan Parsons, but I did not like what you did to the CD.

The added naration ruined the suspense and mood leading into the record. The booklet says something like "sharp eared proctologists may notice a few added guitar parts that was not included on the original LP". Sharp eared? Those changes SCREAMED at me! I guess that's what happens when you listen to the original LP a lot and love it!

At the time, the MFSL CD was much better than my vinyl. But I've done some upgrades in recent years and I don't know which one is better at the present time. And since I'll be upgrading my TT soon, I don't think I'll be doing an AB anytime soon. I do recall that the MFSL CD is bass heavy.

Glad I did not pick up the Anadisq!

Humoreum, do you have a "hot stamper" version of this album? :)

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

All my MOFI Anadisqs are quiet save for a pop here and there. Even the Parson's. Dunno about the sound compared to domestics, etc., but they have nice clean vinyl. I wonder if things got worse later on, or started off poor and got better. Or I just lucked out.

12. Tullman

That's what I was afraid of. A bad pressing and I got two of them. My Tarkus is clean. I do like it. Triolgy is good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.