The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters 40th Ann.Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

The live set (discs 3 and 4) of this set from Winterland '73 make this set essential.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have yet to buy any music from HDTracks and plan to stick with the shiny discs for now. But I'd be very curious as to how the SQ of the HDTracks at 24/96 compares to the CD.

Bill

John Carsell likes this.
  3. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I am too. The HDtracks version sounds amazing. My guess is it's the same master just in hi res which I typically find has more and better soundstage depth. I typically would prefer physical media for a set like this also but in this case it was cheaper than the CD, had the same liner notes, was higher resolution and was more than $10 cheaper. To me I just couldn't resist.

4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Agree on the HDTracks release - sounds great and the cheaper price made it a no brainer for me at least.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The Japanese SHM-CD sets seem to be sold out even at the dealers in Japan. I just happened to be looking on ebay to see if there were any coming from sellers at a decent price and I lucked out and found a new one $79.80 with free shipping from Japan. I have a US release but wanted to pick up a Japanese release too.

6. Mine arrived today :)

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Nice! I believe mine arrived on Monday and I've yet to open it up. I want to thank whatnow? again for posting that there were a few left from cdjapan :). I was on the fence about getting this set but I'm glad I did. The fact that it is the SHM-CDs and comes with the better packaging is a plus for me as well.

Bill

NUNZI likes this.
  8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

It would be a welcome move, but highly improbable given the industry standards. I have quite a few "expanded" editions of studio albums with extra disc(s) of live material, but hardly any got a subsequent stand-alone re-release. Eric Clapton's live disc from the "461 Ocean Boulevard" deluxe edition is the only one, which is springing to my mind now.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well I finally broke out the SHM-CD box set and I'm listening to Disc 2 and the SQ is excellent. I'm very happy that I grabbed this set when I did :).

Bill

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It's a really nice four CD set. A must own for any ABB fan. I have the American the release and the SHM-CD set which is till sealed.

11. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Bring on the 1975 album deluxe edition I say!

PhantomStranger, wayne66 and RiRiIII like this.
  12. Have we ever gotten any good reasons why this went out of print so quickly?

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Good question. I wonder if demand for this set was not expected to be that great so production was limited.

Bill

14. beauford1313

beauford1313 The Busta Rhymes of the Ukraine

15. CEricBanister

CEricBanister Forum Resident

beauford1313 likes this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'm a bit surprised they haven't cranked up a second run of these. The demand seems to be there.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently played the live CDs from the Japanese SHM-CD box set. I was looking forward to hearing You Don't Love Me on disc 4. I have to say the Dickey's solo starting around the 7 minute mark is pretty bad IMO. The solo just doesn't seem to flow at all. This week I broke out both CDs of the "An Evening With The Allman Brothers Band" and Dickey's guitar work is incredible. It almost seems that Warren pushed Dickey to play at his best.

Bill

18. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I wish I bought this set sooner... I wonder how the live portion stands up.:shake:

19. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

On Pono for $26.99 but I didn't get a PDF download with it. It's 96/24.

20. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

That is the one thing that stops me from buying from Pono, especially when I know the album comes with the PDF. In this case it was a tremendous booklet well worth the extra money.

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Part of the Winterland show was included on the first lp of the Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar Gas live lp so that should give you some idea. I like it myself.

RiRiIII and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  22. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I'd be on board with that. :)

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Awesome CDs:cheers:

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ok but I already have it so I'd rather they release a different show.