The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters 40th Ann.Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

I find Nassau Coliseum archive title superior by far in terms of daring musicianship and woefully inferior in terms of sound quality: why too cheap to have a decent remastering done Bruthas?

2. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

anyone have any insight into West's departure?...always mystified me no end given his tenure with the band and its community

clhboa likes this.
  3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

12-31-73 is available as a European release or can be downloaded for free if you look around.But the band ain't getting a penny either way. A great show.

4. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've never heard a definitive reason other than Gregg fired him for an unspecified act. He doesn't seem to
    be far away from them, however.....he was at the Beacon for the final concert. Mr. West was very kind
    to me on several occasions.

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Was there any soundquality difference between the regular CDs and the SHM-CDs? Or is this strictly a cosmetic/packaging difference?

6. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

You are beyond correct! However, were this simply a 'lazy' deluxe release that ended with disc 2's magnificent "Outskirts", "Morning Bluz", and "Minor Jam", it'd still be a critical addition...But the Winterland show, oh my! - and regardless of comparative merits w/ other releases - that 10-track run from Lizzy Reed through close with Whipping Post is fantastic.

I look across my collection shelves and realize how many great live Winterland releases I've purchased from the Dead (duh!); Janis; Airplane; Springsteen; Skynyrd; Quicksilver; and NRPS, which are testament to what a special venue it must have been....sadly, though, long before my time and actually torn down the year I was born (I've read just about everything I can get my hands on - thank you, Bill G.!)/peace, K

7. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

This is the recommendation of the week! BUT, make certain you've purchased the 4CD set; I picked it up 3 wks ago from - of all places - Amazon.uk for $18, shipping included (except for a couple Classical boxes, the foreign option is usually more expensive)! Likely a hard sell to most forumites because of the, at times, distant & tinny radio broadcast sound, but I readily enjoy grade-B AUDs of the Dead and ABB so it's better-than-fine to me; moreover, as you allude, it's simply a superlative performance with some arguably definitive renditions of "One Way", "Stormy Mon.", and "Ramblin", as well as an exceedingly magnificent Les Brers>Drumz>LB reprise sandwich. Also, the expansive terrain covered in the back-to-back 30-min. "Bo Diddley Jam" and 20 min. "Save My Life" make unique listening even for veteran fans.

To my fellow Heads: This is NOT a Jerry showcase; either he's playing the typically supportive/respective/subordinate role he so often assumed when a guest onstage or he's lost in the mix. However, Billy K's addition later in the programme is palpable.

EDIT: Apologies if I've raised your hopes - just checked AmazonUK for the link only to discover the set is unavailable; still in stock on A/US, but for considerably more ($44).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palace-Years-Allman-Brothers-2015-07-24/dp/B014I67OVE/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442674177&sr=1-6&keywords=allman brothers cow palace

http://www.amazon.com/Palace-Years-Allman-Brothers-2015-07-24/dp/B014I67OVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442674273&sr=1-2&keywords=allman cow palace

8. I have it on CD, awesome show and nice packaging. If the Allman Brothers were interested in the financial windfall, they would have released it as part of their archive series. I have no problem paying the label that legally set the music free.

9. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Could you direct me to where I could find this Springsteen album?

10. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

I don't believe the sonics of the album are all that great to begin with, and IMO the original CD is the best sounding of the digital versions. I believe that first release was on the Polydoor label. I haven't bothered to pursue the SHM-CD version of B&S, but I can say with certainty those digital remasters released about 10 (?) years ago are just awful. Super compressed, shrill, overly bright, etc. About the only thing those have going for them is that they successfully capture most of the worst qualities of 16/44.1 digital audio on a single CD! :doh:

lucan_g likes this.
  11. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Do you know where I could find it? On vinyl?

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Cosmetic only:cheers:

lucan_g likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Three years later, and I still agree. The drum solo is not just a "solo"...Butchie and Jaimoe swing and sway like tree branches in the breeze..

14. pool_of_tears

You might not like the EQ of the 1997 remasters, but they're far from super compressed.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Funny to be called back to this post. 3 years later, and as an HVAC tech, he's been working 16-18 hour days for the last couple of years !

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Shvartze Shabbos and John Fell like this.
  17. Completely agree.

18. highway

highway Forum Resident

This release is probably my favorite release the last couple of years with the possible exception of Another Self-portrait by Dylan. The outtakes disc is the one I go back to most.

19. Bill Mac likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

It's still on Amazon

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

23. pool_of_tears

On Friday, I was on my back from a visit/year-end review with one of my suppliers, whom I buy parts from...I was spinning the 1973 Winterland set in my rental car...The first set is solid, but they band really hits the note during the 2nd set. The 4 song run of Southbound, Jessica, You Don't Love Me, and Les Brers In 'A' Minor is 50+ minutes of prime ABB.

RiRiIII likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

CD 2 with the rehearsals and jams is my favorite disc of the set :)!

Clanceman likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

3 and a half years later, that's still a good setlist.