Allman Brothers Live Fox Theatre 2004* Box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yep, saw this on Facebook about 12 hours ago. Saw Oteil in Being There last night too. His only acting job, according to IMDB.
    Don't know if I'll buy this one or not, I've already tied up so much $$$ in 48 years of ABB. The Peach Crate of albums I already had, was my latest big expenditure on them. Albums have no real sonic improvement, just gave me a place to store all the vinyl, past and present.

Clanceman and Bernard hansen like this.
  3. hbbfam

Great line up. I am big fan of Haynes. Just hope it sounds better than some of his other releases.

4. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

why is it "with Oteil"?

i got these when they originally came out on Instant Live. nothing spectacular about these shows. lots and lots of extended crowd noise though

EddieMann and FritzL like this.
  5. Myke

Because it's a bass player's magazine. :laugh:

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It's the ABB so I'm in.

ARK, Shvartze Shabbos and Todd W. like this.
  7. hbbfam

If the new release has lots of extended crowd noise, I may pass. There was mention that may be addressed in new release.

8. ssmith3046

It sounds like there was editing done on this one to shorten up the time between songs. Maybe something was done about the crowd noise too.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'll bet the sound is still very compressed and peak-limited, though :cry:

10. hbbfam

This is what drives me nuts with Warren Haynes CDs, and (until recently) Gov't Mule. Loud and compressed production on some of the best contemporary blues guitar out there.

southamorican likes this.
  11. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

There are sound samples on iTunes (each night is being sold separately). It's tough to judge the quality - sounds like the Instant Live level of quality. I may buy a show to test it out. Is the performance of the Fox run well regarded?

12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I found the instant lives of this run awful SQ wise and I'm not as picky as many folks here!

13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Having never bought any of the instant lives over the years I'm very much looking forward to this.

14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Not interested in this era.

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

With all the he technology in the world at their disposal the Allman Brothers live recordings have mostly sounded terrible in the era between 1990-2016
    In particular a live album called Peakin' At The Beacon must be the worst ever sounding commercial modern recorded album. Their DVDs for some reason always sound crap as well.
    They probably use the same sound man throughout. At least the performance is usually great!
    I'll probably pass on this set despite owning virtualy their entire catalogue on CD

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Gonna disagree slightly here because these two I think sound great........
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and also I think the sound of this DVD is fine...........

[​IMG]

Plus and maybe I'm not reading your post right, but you have the Blu-Ray of the Fillmore, A&R Studio and Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival which all have very good sound quality.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Clanceman and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

Yes, I also read on the ABB site that these shows are "tightened" up, editing a lot of crowd noise. This was a great run of shows. No repeats other than Dreams all three nights.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  19. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

I have the original instant live fox box and these 3 shows are amazing. The sonics are wonderful (imho) and if they aren't up to folks' standards, so what, it's the ABB damn it!

20. Skydog71

Skydog71 Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to the release of The Fox Box. Dreams is the only repeat with Jack, Warren and Derek taking the lead on different nights. It was a great run of shows...hoping the upgrade does it justice. And yes, it is the Allman Brothers....lol

21. hbbfam

I will be watching the reviews here on this one. The only one of the ABB Live series that I own is the 40th anniversary Beacon (3/20/09). I will have to re-listen. I don't recall being disappointed in the sound or re crowd noise. But some of these comments have me wary. Figured it would be about $100.

22. Myke

23. ssmith3046

On this day the ABB played together for the first time. Gregg had just got into town from California and guys were at Oakley ' s house playing when Gregg joined in.

budwhite likes this.
  24. That's my situation too, I'm in.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  25. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I wasn't discussing any live Allman Brothers live recordings pre 1989
    The DVD mentioned above has had some bad reviews about the sound. I believe it could have been a lot better
    I agree the 1st & 2nd set live albums don't sound that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.