Allman Brothers 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

I have been on a Duane era ABB jag recently and saw this new interview with Dickey Betts talking about the Allman Betts Band with Berry Duane Oakley on bass starting to tour and mentioned March 26th, 1969 as the birth date of the Allman Brothers Band.

Wonder if they have anything left in the vaults to share?

Good read and got me fired up to get tix to the new ABB band when it comes this way.

Dickey Betts on Allman Brothers' 50th anniversary and new Allman Betts Band - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

Anyone else thinking of thinking of going to see the new generation Allman Betts Band?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

If I was anywhere near them, I’d go see them!

3. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Just read this article also. I would not hesitate to see these guys if they showed up in my neck of the woods!

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Very interested in hearing their album coming out this summer.

5. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

Spadeygrove likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

My favorite American band. Allman Betts Band is a day one purchase for me.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A fun idea and I'm sure that there will be a lot of fine juicy guitar solos flying around. However it might be a bit limited without Greg's or Warran's vocals. I'd be interested to hear what goes on though.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Wow, fifties years since the Allman Brothers formed?

What started as a concept for a power trio turned into so much more. From all the classic hits, albums, and concerts to some of rock’s most iconic players and an equally iconic voice, to the bands that came out of it both within the Allman Brothers Family Tree to the genre(s) spawned, its pretty remarkable. While most of the original members and select members late on have passed on, their legacy lives on.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Surprised that no combinations of ABB survivors have mounted any sort of tribute tour. Probably makes more sense to let it lie, but I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it.

Jack Lord and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. rockclassics

I was also hoping we might see some sort of 50th Anniversary releases. Sadly it seems there is not much left from the early days with Duane and Berry to be released.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The film of the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival would be nice.

13. HJP

HJP Senior Member

Long live the Allman Brothers Band!

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm not sure it'd have any appeal without Warren or Derek, and they're both very busy (and very successful) with their own projects. I mean, Dickey is still alive and plays occasionally, but I don't know what kind of condition he'd be in to tour (or how his playing is these days). Leavell would be a fun addition, but he doesn't need the money as long as the Stones are still touring. There might be enough demand to fill some small 500-1,000 seat clubs, but that doesn't generate enough money to get the principles to take time away from their projects to do it.

If you want the ABB experience, the closest you're gonna get in spirit is the Tedeschi Trucks Band, IMO. I think it's cool the offspring are teaming up for a band, but I'll wait to see if their original material holds up before I pass judgement.

Guy Smiley and Vic_1957 like this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Them and Gov;'t Mule, yeah. And Jason Isbell's occasional cover of Whippin Post.

Greg Gee likes this.
  16. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

From a very reliable source in terms of ABB material with Duane: "A few live shows and maybe some alternate studio takes" still exist

17. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Also Bill Levenson was quoted as saying there will be something released from the ABB to commemorate their 50th Anniversary this year

Bill Mac, Christopher B, ARK and 2 others like this.
  18. scottyb57

scottyb57 Active Member

19. belardd

belardd Senior Member

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/a...TwXhJt0gZG2fOYi017fjY3-B3IZd6Uc5XCyRnB02vPJs8
    This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Allman Brothers Band, whose first rehearsal together took place on March 26th.

Related: Inside The First-Ever Allman Brothers Band Rehearsal

In honor of the important milestone, Sirius XM’s Jam_ON (ch. 29) is giving listeners the exclusive first listen of an unreleased Allman Brothers Band concert album captured live at San Francisco, CA’sFillmore West in 1971, which is officially due out later this year.

The Allman Brothers Band: Fillmore West 1971 premieres on Jam_ON tomorrow, Tuesday, March 26th at 2:00 pm ET, hosted by former ABB guitarist Warren Haynes and his wife, Jam_ON’s own Stef Scamardo. The segment will air again at various times throughout the week.

The counterpart to 1971’s live album At Fillmore East, the forthcoming record is expected to include the top performances from the January 29th performance–which happened just a month before the legendary NYC run that would go on to become a platinum-certified live album. It was only eight months later that bandleader and guitar virtuoso Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident. Original bassist Berry Oakley Jr. died one year later in almost the exact same place. In honor of the original lineup–which also featured Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks, Jaimoe, and Dickey Betts–the Allman Brothers Band continued to tour with a rotating lineup for 45 years and officially had their final show in 2014.

According to a 2017 interview with longtime Allman Brothers Band manager Bert Holman, there’s still a great deal of music in the Allman Brothers Band archives that has yet to be released via the band’s own label and RED distribution. “We’ll keep putting things out as long as there’s an appetite for it,” Holman told Billboard. “There’s a great deal of material
    , and still a lot of interest in hearing these things, we think.”

Check out the full schedule below and pick a time to listen to this unreleased live Allman Brothers gem on Sirius XM’s Jam_ON (ch. 29) this week.

The Allman Brothers Band: Fillmore West 1971 – Airtime Schedule

Tuesday 3/26 @ 2pm ET
    Weds 3/27 @ 11am ET
    Thursday 3/28 @ 6pm ET
    Friday 3/29 @ 8am ET
    Saturday 3/30 @ 3pm ET
    Sunday 3/31 @ Noon ET​

20. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

21. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Looks like it

Jam On will be broadcasting the legendary band’s stint at The Fillmore West in 1971, which will also be released as a concert album later this year. ABB played three shows at the San Francisco venue in late-January of that year, with their original lineup of Gregg and Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Butch Trucks, Jaimoe and Berry Oakley

robcar likes this.
  22. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Set lists here would mirror the Fillmore East pretty closely wouldn't they? (Not that that's the be all and end all...)

23. rockclassics

Well this is encouraging.

Makes me sort of wish I still had Sirius.

ARK and Myke like this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A NEW DUANE-ERA ALBUM !!!!!!!!!!! @musicman9999 - you son-of-a-gun, THIS is what you were referring to on Facebook !!!!

black sheriff likes this.
  25. Argus1

Argus1 Well-Known Member

I am a big ABB fan of the the Duane era. There are a couple of things still in the vault with Duane but not much of any audio quality. There was/is from the vault all ready to go but that was at 4 years ago. But there was some issue with releases from the remaining band members but now that Butch and Greg are gone who knows what will happen. The Duane material is always the most requested. There is a Allman site called Hittin the Web but it is losing many of its posters due to the band calling it quits and no new archive material. I know more but can not say due to where the info came from but is about as direct as you can get and was told only if not repeated. I can add it was a major issue between the remaining band members that was always the hold up.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.