Allman Brothers Band Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevin5brown, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I like it a lot.

jonathan likes this.
  2. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Wow. Did not know that. What time did folks get home?

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The same thing also occurred with another classic live album Humble Pie - Rockin' The Fillmore. Humble Pie actually opened those shows for Lee Michaels.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Usually in the morning light of the following day. When Duane and Gregg headlined, it was common for them to play all night, into morning.

5. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

No one has mentioned the A&R Studios set. Very intimate sounding, yet very live!

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Great set. Amazing it was never officially released in America, or sanctioned by the band.

Grampire likes this.
  7. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

King Curtis's epochal Live at Fillmore West (1971) -- Curtis and his band were opening for (and backing) Aretha Franklin, who was also recording a concert LP. Aretha's record (Aretha Live at Fillmore West, natch) is good, but Curtis's set is one of the two or three most smoking live LPs I've heard from that year. Sadly, he was murdered a week after its release.

8. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I'm thinking about the audience. Folks got lives. :)

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I've seen this set, but always assumed it was a bootleg. So it was a legitimate release, just never released in the U.S.?
    So this would contain the same version of "You Don't Love Me / Soul Serenade" that was issued on the "Dreams" box set, correct?

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes and yes.

11. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Thanks, Myke.

12. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Just had to post to agree with you on Nassau. Truly unbelievable show. Think about it: Jessica, Liz, Brers and MJ in ONE SHOW. This is a killer Mountain Jam but the Les Brers is out of this world. This release really shows the power of Chuck- he really was an Allman Brother of the highest order and on Les Brers he really adds something. The band did the right thing not replacing Duane with another guitar player. The band evolved and remained AWESOME. It blows my mind sometimes just how good the Allman Brothers are.

jay.dee likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I once heard a Les Brers from 75/76 that was killer...Chuck, Lamar and Jaimoe were locked in...I could hear the beginnings of Sea Level.

highway likes this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've been spinning "Wipe The Windows" this week. I've always "liked" the album but I thought it was kinda weak in spots. But after having the complete 1973 Winterland set on the Super Deluxe Edition of "Brothers And Sisters", I figured it was time to re-evaluate "Wipe The Windows". The first thing you have to do is FORGET "At Fillmore East". Why?! Because it's apples and oranges. It's not even the same band, and that's all positive stuff. "Wipe The Windows" captures (wonderfully) the Chuck/Lamar era of the band. There's some fantastic playing from everyone on this set. It's recorded over a 3 year period and it captures the jazzy feel of that particular lineup. Lamar is the unsung hero on this album. It's safe to say Berry Oakley would've been proud. Lamar really locks in with Chuck & Jamioe. If you listen closelt, you can practically hear the beginnings of Sea Level. The real highlights for me are a slow and bluesy reading of "Ain't Waistin' Time No More" recorded 7 weeks after Berry's passing, and a charged performance of "Jessica" from 1975. If you like Brothers And Sisters, this album is worth having. I recommend it.

15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

There has been just announced a new (grey-area) 3CD box: "Live At The Cow Palace, New Years Eve, 1973", with a famous broadcast gig featuring Jerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzmann.

[​IMG]
    http://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=139169

highway and John Fell like this.
  16. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident

Agreed. The CD's that are available at their website from their most recent tours sound terrific for the most part. Particularly their 2009 Beacon 40th Anniversary run!!! Lots of amazing guests, including EC on two of them!!!

rockclassics likes this.
  17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The Clapton shows are well worth getting. The other 2009 Beacon show worth getting is the one where they play their first two albums all the way through with all tracks in order. No guests on this night.

18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

There is an official DVD of the 40th anniversary show where they play the first 2 albums back to back. Came out last year and is phenomenal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.