Allman Brothers - final shows at Beacon Theatre, October 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's my boy Johnny there ! ^^^^ :wantsome:

Run and tell that ! to your mammy, and the horse she rode in on !

johnnypaddock and John Fell like this.
  2. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I really appreciate the recap as a potential customer. I'm assuming you meant Friday for outstanding 3rd night (24th).

3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

www.ABBLiveHD.com - it's a link on the same overall munckmusic site, though...

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Thank you.

frank3si likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I am curious too. Please don't keep me wonderin' ;)

Myke likes this.
  6. serge

serge Forum Resident

I've seen Haynes with Government Mule, The Dead (twice) and The Allman Brothers Band (twice).

His voice is horrendous. I respect the man but he should not sing.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no matter what you think of dickey the man wrote/co-wrote about 70% of the original material the band recorded from 1972-1999

8. Yes, you are right, Friday the 24th is what I meant.

9. Huh?

Not in my opinion. I like his voice, it fits the music he plays very well. But you can't argue taste, I suppose.

Apparently, his voice was good enough that he got invited to the White House to perform by himself.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  10. So, I did some checks with regards to editing.

Looks like the downloads are edited, disc 1 of the last show is over 75 minutes when bought at the show, and the download is just a little over 71 minutes, so at least 4 minutes of crowd noise/breaks were edited. Not sure yet about the dynamics compared to the CD-R's from right after show.

There are reports online that the CD-R's from after the show are also plagued by massive clicking sounds, just like my CD-R was from the August 2013 show. I am wondering if any CD-R's from the show are trouble free, I would assume so.

The HD download for the Friday show does not really have any better dynamics, unfortunately. So, the editing, and possibly the limiting, seems to affect all downloads, HD or not.

Will have to check into whether the CD-R's from after the shows are better with regards to dynamics.

11. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Downloaded the hd flac version of the last show, what a way to go out , great show!

Wasn't expecting this to be audiophile quality but it's not too bad , and well worth getting for the music

Going to miss these guys

David Bostock likes this.
  12. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

I grabbed the last two concerts from MunckMusic. These are soundboard recordings folks. I don't mind the compression...they are great. 6 hours of ABB music with very few duplicates. What an awesome, bittersweet way to go out. I could not be there, so this is my ticket to their last call.

13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

I was there for Monday 10/27 and wholeheartedly concur. The final show on Tuesday was certainly epic, but did not seem to carry the same intensity as Monday's show. Plus "Les Bres in A Minor" on Monday......

14. It is now clear that the CD-R's from after the shows are noticeably more dynamic and less compressed than the downloads. Unfortunately, many CD-R sets from after the show seem to be affected by some digital artefacts/clipping towards the end of the discs, which I also have on one of the discs from 2013.

I wonder if anybody has a problem-free CD-R set from those shows...

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Most if not all of the clicks on the CD-R's come from Oteil's bass and are "cut out" in post-production. You can do it youself in an editing program, but it's very time consuming.

16. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

Warren haynes has a GREAT bluesy rock and roll voice.....in fact he was a singer before he played guitar!Funny,because the review of the last show in the wall street journal speaks of Haynes fantastic voice,go figure!

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like his voice better than the guys that scream all the time.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. I haven't heard the clicks on the 2014 CD-R's, but I do have these clicks on one of my 2013 CD-R's, and on my disc, it has NOTHING to do with the bass guitar. I am not talking about some clicks and pops, These are absolute major digital clicks/distortions completely overpowering the music. If I remember correctly, they appear only in one channel.

Ever heard when a CD-R gets old and goes bad, and you can't properly play it anymore. This is kind of what it sound like. I have this problem with a certain brand of CD-R's

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I agree. I think Warren has a great, snarling blues-rock voice. However I do find it tedious after a few songs and that puts me off listening to a lot of Gov't Mule. In the Allman's context it worked better, with the vocals alternating between him and Greg.

ARK likes this.
  20. Myke

Gregg

pool_of_tears likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You tell 'em. Keep it real.

On the topic of compression, I generally will tolerate a little bit though we all know it's unnecessary. The Allman Brothers Band is the only band I'll allow this much compression applied to it's music. It's just too damned good to let things spoil it for me. :)

22. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

This is absolutely true. I have the CDs purchased at and picked up after the final show and these noises are not in any way performance artifacts, they are digital flaws that grow in frequency as the discs near the end of their content. Discs one and two are the worst offenders, but unfortunately it's present on disc three as well.

23. Myke

The October 28th 4 disc set arrived today. The price went up $5.00 after I placed my order, when they realized it was a 4 disc night, rather than 3. They of course honored my original price.
    On the negative side, disc 3 was loose, due to all the hub teeth being smashed, but the other 3 are intact.
    Sounds great so far...

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I saw that they were shipping. I have the 10/28 show coming and will probably order the 10/27 concert too.

25. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Highly recommended, if only for the performance of "Les Brers in A Minor". The entire show was on "11" though, compared with the more epic and sprawling show on 10/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.