Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East 1971 vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Wood, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Kevin Wood

Kevin Wood Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thinking of picking up this LP and was curious is the first pressing (pink label) the best version to get?

Thanks

Dude111 and fluffskul like this.
  2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Yes it is, by most accounts (me included), make sure it has "AT/GP" hand etched in the dead wax.

djost, black sheriff, Dude111 and 5 others like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If you’re looking for the original, then I agree with @Bill Cormier

I have a Monarch press that was cut by George Piros and it sounds really good.

The best sounding copy that I own is the latest Mobile Fidelity release, followed by the Classic Records reissue cut by Bernie Grundman.

Sear and djost like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

@Tommyboy
    Curious, why is it better? I all ready own the Classic Records one. At this point I don't think I want another copy. But I'd figure I'd ask while they're still $50.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I shouldn’t say the MoFi is better. I just happen to prefer it. I’m partial to the house MoFi sound. You don’t need to spend another $50.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have a pink label, Dennis King on 3 sides, George Piros on one.
    I also have a Classic.
    And a Kevin Reeves, that came with my Peach Crate.
    There's also my 3 disc Blu-ray set, done by Kevin Reeves.

If you really love this album as much as some of us do...if it's in your DNA...you'll never settle for just one. You'll experiment until you die.

Good luck.

Chemguy likes this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Really difficult to find a less than stellar version of this on vinyl.

Charlie Z., Dude111, Terry and 3 others like this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Thanks, Tommyboy. I'm broke anyway buying others presents. Yeah I like the MoFi, too. I did pick up their Idlewild South pressing. I also picked up a bunch of Elvis Costello pressing because 1)I didn't have the records & 2) Music Direct had them on sale for $20. Figured I'd spend as much on new pressing.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks HV.

The original is crisp on top, but could certainly be overly bright when turned up. It’s the MoFi that strikes the balance, wouldn’t one say?

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Do you have the mofi Get Happy!!!? Man that’s good.

11. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have the reissued 1974 Capricorn white/cream colored label 2cx-0131 Sterling that sounds very good. I have not heard the pink original.

12. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

What I hear on my computer with headphones: The MoFi lacks the soundstage, room information, air, naturalness of the pink Capricorn, which is crisp, but in a good way that lets the lead guitar shine. The UMe is muffled.

classicrocker likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Are you talking about vinyl? With all due respect, you can’t make a fair judgement by listening on computer speakers. I can tell you right now the MoFi does not lack what you’re reporting.

hi_watt, stax o' wax and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Wow!:eek: It shows the clear winner. :righton:

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What I’ve found with my other mofi’s might hold true here: when you turn up your system, the originals can be unpleasant, and the mofi will be able to handle the volume increase without distortion. Maybe, of course.

Waylon9 likes this.
  16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Nothing I have heard will shift me from my pink label pressing.

JG

17. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

I was just answering Chemguy, who in post 10 made a comment about the YouTube video in post 3. Based on that video I would prefer the pink Capricorn and I explained why. It is true that the MoFi seems to be more balanced and the Capricorn a bit crisp, but I don’t listen at high levels and I value the perceived transparency of the Capricorn higher.

I agree that computer speakers are not a good way to judge sound quality. I was listening with the headphones listed in my profile. And of course a YouTube video is not the same as hearing the real thing on a real system. That’s why I’m very interested in the opinions of those that have compared the MoFi to a pink Capricorn on their turntable.

My copy is a German Capricorn from 1976 BTW. Before that I had a German Atlantic from 1973 that was very noisy and made me look for a better version.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I hadn’t played my pink label GP Fillmore East since I upgraded my amp (Rogue Sphinx), until today. It’s completely great, huge bass and transparent. This is why collecting original vinyl is so much fun.

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

After listening to this clip I had these thoughts....

The Mercury is warm, fat,pleasant. Sounds like you'd want to have this copy for laid back late night session in your 70's retro room with lava lamp,shag carpet,bong,etc.. Or, whenever you have a get together with couples the wives would like this one so the ladies could talk over top of the music and not have to be telling you to turn it down every few minutes.

The Mofi...can you say lukewarm water? Maybe that's a little harsh but it plays it safe all the way without any belly fat.

The Pink Capricorn sounds like you are there! You hear the room and the sharpness in the high end. It sounds fast and lively. This one makes you sweat becuase your body can't help but move n groove.

Make mine pink...oh, it already is :love:

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This discussion is providing further evidence in my ongoing anthropological study of how the concept "Versions A, B, and C of album X all sound great" is invisible to the forum brain.

21. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I have the pink label release. Has always sounded great.

Dude111 likes this.
  22. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I just picked up this one today at my local seller. He had it on the wall with a First Issue/Great shape sticker. At first glance, it looks decent on all four sides. At/Gp all four sides also. This one is getting cleaned and spun tonight. Cost me 24.99...no idea If that’s over priced as I've never bothered to check-figuring I’d never find one in good shape anyway.

23. 29 Melbury Road

29 Melbury Road Active Member

Sitting here and evaluating the somewhat recent 4 LP reissue pressed onto 200 gram vinyls. I am located in Sweden (Northern Europe/Scandinavia) and the copy that I have is an american pressing. I have listened to varity of pressings through the years and this one sounds very decent, not neccesary better than the original Capricorn pink label one but solid and dynamic.

wwright likes this.
  24. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The original pink AT/GP puts you on stage with the musicians.

Yes its that good!