Allman Brothers - New Remastered Box Set of 9 Albums (15 LPs) and High Resolution Downloads Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jhm, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'll wait and see what the reviews are. The MOFI reissues are full analog 33 rpm, hard to go wrong with that.
    These new ones are hi-rez transfers, and we don't know where they are pressed.

jgrillo likes this.
  3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

*Mixing two drummers is a bitch

mpayan likes this.
  4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I feel that he used unnecessary peak limiting and his eq is questionable on his stereo digital masterings. The surround mixes are great though.

I'll stick with the MFSL SACDs and Dennis Drake masterings for the Allman Brothers digitally.

hvbias likes this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident Thread Starter

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My main concern is not mastering quality per se, but pressing quality of the vinyl itself. Universal did a similar box for Bob Marley (an expensive version in a metal lighter box, and a less expensive version in a cardboard lighter style box), and although the LPs themselves have very good sound quality, the pressing quality of the LPs leaves a bit to be desired.

The MOFI versions of these albums are impeccably pressed and sound great, so even though I am inclined to go for the box set, I'm really concerned with spending $400.00 + shipping to be concerned about pressing quality/defects.

If I don't get the box, I will definitely get the LPs that have yet to be reissued on vinyl by Mofi.

Oh, and the Seth Foster remastered vinyl pressing of "Brothers and Sisters" on Universal from 2013(which came out before the MOFI), sucked big time - sound quality and pressing quality. As soon as I got the MOFI, I sold the Universal vinyl remaster.

DeRosa likes this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

How would it make it more expensive?

8. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I've got the original early 80s issue mofi Eat a Peach, the newer mofi releases, original pressings of most albums, several of those white label promos. I just don't think I need this.

9. jhm

Although it would be a complete pain, I'd hope that with individual releases of the LPs in the set coming out as well that it wouldn't be a nightmare to replace a title or two with Universal if there were pressing issues.

10. jhm

I doubt they'll say so we can only speculate. They probably don't want cut into sales of the higher resolution files. I mean, Led Zeppelin was "nice" and threw in 96/24 download codes with their Super Deluxe sets, but those cost well over $100 per album. Even with a shipping rate of $85 U.S., this comes out to $54 a set, which is a lot less than the Zeps with the download codes were per album. Again, it would've been nice if they threw in at least 96/24 versions of these but they didn't. I see the USB stick as just CD quality digital version as a little bonus for those who primarily listen to LPs but might want "quick and dirty" versions for their smartphones or iPods.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It did suck. I got rid of that LP quickly

12. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

The first album is described as
    • The Allman Brothers Band expanded to include the original 1969 stereo mix and 1973 Beginnings stereo mix (gatefold 2LP)
    How different are the mixes?

13. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

This box is out of the question for me. I am out of space at home.

14. Myke

Remember the fade-back-in on Cross To Bear ? Gone in '73.

15. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Obviously a nice set on first glance. More details are needed all the same. An Allman fanatic and collector would probably go for it no questions asked. For the majority however there are a few things to consider. Price and expensive shipping. The actual quality of the remastering and pressing, which is paramount. Some people have cited space, which can be a concern. What if you own and have invested in good originals or MFSL versions of these albums? I already have the MFSL Eat a Peach and that 4 album Fillmore box set. And to be quite honest, I'm not sure how often I would listen to Win, Lose or Draw and Enlightened Rogues. Those albums in my opinion don't compare to their best efforts.

On the other hand, the live Tires, Gas and Ludlow Garage on vinyl sound tempting. Any deluxe unreleased material sounds tempting also. Guess we'll have to get more details. The MFSL versions are always out there, but last time I looked, they weren't cheap either, but you can pick your spots.

16. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Universal seems to use any number of pressing plants, all with variable results and wide-ranging opinions on the perceived quality of the final product. If these LPs are pressed at GZ I won't touch 'em with a 10-foot pole (way too many crappy pressings from those clowns to trust them anymore), but if they use Optimal they could hold some real promise, assuming the mastering is up to scratch.

Funny you mention the Marley box. Mine (I got the cheaper "cardboard" edition, but I think they were pressed at the same place in the Netherlands as the metal lighter version) had some of the best pressings I've heard--most were really excellent, one or two had a few very minor tics here and there. I'm not discounting your experience at all, just highlighting how variable the quality can be even from the exact same pressing plant. We roll our dice in this hobby, that's for sure...
    ;)
    Hope these are good pressings--I'd like to get a few titles myself.

17. jhm

Per user pool_of_tears:

It's Not My Cross To Bear - 1969 mix fades out and then comes back in to hear the closing...1973 remix fades out but no reprise.
    Trouble No More - 1969 mix has dry sounding drums in the intro...remix has some reverb on the drums.
    Every Hungry Woman- 1969 mix has just the guitar in the first few seconds, remix also has a hi-hat in the intro.
    Dreams - 1969 mix, organ is more to the left, remix has the organ more centered and the mix is more 'open'.
    Whipping Post -1969 mix, bass is in left channel, also song fades out and you barely hear the end...remix, the bass is more centered and the ending comes to a cold stop.

Allman Brothers Band - Very different mixes (Beginnings) »

highway likes this.
  18. jhm

Sounds like you might be better off picking up some of the individual releases.

19. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I think so too.

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

There is no sense dumping other pressings until the new set is assessed by the people who invested.

21. Myke

Y'all do know Wipe The Windows was on vinyl already, right ? Some posts sound like this is a first. It's not.

22. Myke

Right, there's space in the crate for a reason. :winkgrin:

ARK and jhm like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They also use United. I don't trust Universal

sennj likes this.
  24. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I think you may be referring to my post.I knew I worded it awkwardly. I realize it was on vinyl before. I don't believe Ludlow garage is though because I remember buying it on CD, in one of those double thick cases and it was said to be never released before.

25. Myke

A Fatboy. Correct. 1990. Re-released last year, with the involvement of the same Kevin Reeves, and our own Bill Levenson. @musicman9999 .

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.