Allman Brothers Trouble No More box set in February 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sedwards, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

box set book does a nice job of discussing all 13 lineups, yet there’s nothing from the Dickey/Derek lineup on the actual cd’s. I found that odd.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Sorry, you misunderstood me again.
    I don't mind they play those songs without Dickey, they even did a good job.
    But what is the point of including a live version of Blue Sky (without Dickey) on a career-spanning box set when you already have the studio version with Duane and Dickey played?

Crosseyed and lucan_g like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I did and already put in for an exchange . I’ll do it 100 times if I have I have to even if they start charging the band themselves for all my returns

4. Matthew Tate

A bit of scuffing I’ll let it go but 4 of the cds were trash. The 5th one maybe was ok but at this point I’m just getting another one

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. But putting together a restrospective live release for the public, and then using space to include Dickey's signature song (IMHO) without Dickey playing or singing on it? That's just crazy and a waste of space.

Umbari and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

yeah "left" the band

7. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

That's easy.

The point is that it was the very last time the band ever performed that song live or ever will again. A legendary band performing a legendary song for the very last time merits inclusion on a career spanning box set.

I guess it's me. :shrug:

allbrosca likes this.
  8. Exile On My Street

Disagree 100%. See above.

9. Exile On My Street

There are quit a few complaints about the packaging in the Amazon reviews.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. Did ABB ever play Ramblin' Man after Dickey left the band? I hope not as it's my least favorite ABB song as it was played to death on the radio.

I was going to order the Trouble No More set to support Bull Moose. But with the packaging and scratched disc issues reported I'll pass. Will order other titles to support them.

11. Matthew Tate

they didn't play ramblin man but i believe they played seven turns which is pretty messed up

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

I know that this is sometimes an unpopular opinion on the SH boards, as jewel cases are widely beloved here, but I have had at least as many problems with jewel case releases arriving in extremely damaged condition (both on the inside, with destroyed spindles and more, and on the outside, with cracked, and even mangled, front covers), and the CDs rolling around inside, sometimes scratched up, even as brand-new, sealed, off-the-shelf releases.

Shoddy manufacturing, at the record company level, definitely is part of the problem with this particular box set. I am so disappointed too. I was looking forward to ordering it soon.

As more and more CDs are arriving damaged to my apartment though (both jewel case releases, and other ones), I am realizing that at least in my area, the damages have a good bit to do with Post Office and UPS workers taking little to no care at all with my packages. There have been so many times that packages containing CDs, and/or DVDs and Blu-rays, have been jammed very tightly into my mailbox by these workers (jammed into a space that these packages were never meant to fit into!), with the contents of the packages being damaged, sometimes seriously, as a result, before I can even get to them to try to make sure that they are not damaged....

13. Exile On My Street

This is true, I'll receive CDs from Amazon and the jewel cases always have some sort of damage, usually due to the handling by the PO.

I was mailing some CDs out a few weeks ago and when they asked if there was anything fragile I said, "What does that mean? They only kick it 3 times instead of 7?" She got a good laugh out of that one.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Obviously jewel cases can get damaged during packaging/shipping, which then can damage the CD, but in terms of long-term storage, jewel cases offer the most consistent and best storage option for CDs. The issue with many alternate types of CD packaging, especially box sets will large cardboard slipcases, is that the discs are not well protected in general and can get scratched, covered in glue residue, or face other issues.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Very true. It's too bad that box set packaging doesn't include light plastic or cloth like sleeves for the CDs. The Chicago "Quadio" set comes to mind. The LP style packaging is real nice but each Blu-ray has a light plastic sleeve so they don't get scratched by the cardboard. The Allman Brothers "Brothers and Sisters" Deluxe 4 SHM-CD set also has the light plastic sleeves.

Can't cost much or take much effort to assure the discs won't get scratched. One would think it would save money in the end as there would be less returned stock due to scratched discs.

16. old school

old school Senior Member

In my experience UPS is the worst! One time the UPS driver threw my package of cds about five feet from the porch because he was to lazy to walk all the way up. I saw what he did and was out the front door to kick his butt and told him off good! My wife came out and grabbed me she thought I lost my Mind over cds which is a whole different story LOL.

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Made a 1 disc CDR of the unreleased stuff on this set, and I really enjoyed it. Some of the later tracks like Black Hearted Woman really smoke.

18. ilistentoallkinds

I loved the protective plastic sleeves for all four of the CDs (and the packaging in general was very good) in the Black Sabbath Paranoid Super Deluxe Edition box set. If every box set with three or more CDs were simply built as carefully and sturdily, and put together as lovingly, as that box was, then there would be far fewer (justified) complaints of damage for box sets.

Matthew Tate and frank3si like this.
  19. ilistentoallkinds

I've actually had much better experiences with UPS than with (some of) the Post Office workers, but that is likely only because I live in an apartment building where the UPS workers almost always bring the package right to my door and deliver it straight to me whenever possible.

By contrast, the Post Office worker who comes to this building constantly shoves medium-to-large size packages into my mailbox, which is not clearly, visibly, not meant to hold packages of those sizes at all. It's utterly ridiculous, and it has caused so many of my orders to be damaged. Yet when I complain about it (and I do so calmly but with justification!), I am told that "This is the Postal worker who services this building, and she has her own way of doing things, and no matter how much we dislike it, the Post Office can't just send someone else to come to this building to replace her".... Grrrr!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Matthew Tate and old school like this.
  20. nice package but since i have every album downloaded on my external hard drive - the dreams box- and a blu-ray of the fillmore shows i will pass

21. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

So, did nobody here buy the vinyl? :laugh:

I read through this thread after finding the set in the uDiscover Music sale (first I'd heard of it; musta missed the Peach Corps email):

The Allman Brothers Band - Trouble No More: 50th Anniversary Collection Limited Edition LP Box Set – uDiscover Music

Still $375, though (colored OR black vinyl). I tried the UD20OFF code, which takes another 20% off on most titles (which would get it down to $300), but it doesn't work on this. So, still way too much, IMO.

But call me when they are blowing it out at $200! :) I just might crack, then.

chickendinna likes this.
  22. My 5 disk Allman Brothers Band Set:
    [​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
    :)

23. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That was the first or second boxset I ever bought. I think I paid 20 bucks for it - used.

24. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

I was able to use the extra 20% off on the Beatles 4 LP White Album Set, this time.

25. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

I keep looking at the vinyl but the price keeps getting in my field of vision.

Fractured and All Down The Line like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.