Almost Famous or Rock Star ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ronm, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

I watched parts of "Almost Famous" last night as I can't bring myself to watch the whole thing again.I started to compare it to another rock movie set in a different decade "Rock Star".I found that I prefer the music from AF but prefer to watch the RS movie.I am more of a 70s fan but AF is just too corny for my tastes.Any thoughts on your experience with these two movies?

2. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I haven't seen AF since it was released. My recollection is that it was good, but not great. I haven't seen RS.

3. Almost Famous is one of my favorite films of all-time, especially the "Bootleg Cut". In my opinion Rock Start is an awful, formulaic crapfest.

4. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I like Almost Famous a lot. Is Rock Star the one with Wahlberg and Aniston? If so I think that's a pretty awful movie.

5. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Like Brett above I too love Almost Famous and the bootleg cut adds to an already fantastic movie. An amazing soundtrack but a real labour of love from Cameron Crowe. What a life he must have led!!

6. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Off topic but That Thing You Do should also be up for consideration.

I like AF a lot because I had friends very much like the characters in the movie and I was the same age as the Cameron character at that time.

7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I liked Almost Famous the one time I saw it. I couldn't watch Rock Star for five minutes.

longdist01 and bababooey like this.
  8. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

No question.

Almost Famous with Jennifer Aston's concert outfit in Rock Star a close second ...;) :)

9. Remurmur

Same here and love the bootleg cut as well. One time that the extra footage does improve the original.

But I do like Rock Star for what it is , though I would agree that it is formulistic.

10. GaryM

GaryM New Member

If "don't do drugs" was the only great line, it would be enough for me . It just feels good to watch it.

11. Remurmur

And the cast is near perfect IMO. Especially Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Almost Famous gets everything right, just captures the era for me. I think the innocence of the lead character is honest, and may be interpreted as corniness by some viewers. This movie shines for me largely because it doesn't overwhelm with crass decadence like many films on the subject. The people are real, not cartoon rock stars.

13. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

Liked Almost Famous enough, especially when Phillip Seymour Hoffman/Lester Bangs plays "Go All The Way" by Raspberries for about 10 seconds before yanking the needle off!!!! Now, Rock Star, to me, you need to view thru the "lens-of-crumminess" that the equally bad/great Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze is viewed....goofy story, not quite believable, cliches everywhere, but entertaining nonetheless......to me, sometimes the Steel Dragon band in Rock Star sounds like awesome UK band The Darkness at times!!!!!

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Almost Famous" is a delightful, charming "coming of age" movie, whereas "Rock Star" is lifeless and forgettable...

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Almost Famous is fantastic. One of my favorites. Rock Star is cheesy fun, but comparing these two is like comparing Star Wars with The Last Starfighter.

Blender likes this.
  16. Eh, I thought Rock Star was OK; the basic premise was solid but it could've used another pass by a script doctor to punch it up and scrub down the cliches. Not to mention axe the eye-rolling ending where Mark Wahlberg invents grunge.

17. Remurmur

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Count me in as well. Bootleg cut (Untitled) is one of my all time favorite films.

vegafleet and carrick doone like this.
  19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The bootleg cut of Almost Famous is one of the greatest films of the last 15 years. I'll always go back to it.

Rock Star...yeah, see it once and be entertained for what it is, but that's about it.

DigMyGroove and Brett44 like this.
  20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I remember when the original NY Times article about Ripper Owens came out, it was such a great story that I saved it to show to my Dad. He also thought it was great despite not not knowing or caring who Judas Priest were.

The material could have made for a good movie in the right hands, but it's just Marky Mark sings like the Steelheart guy for a couple hours. They really blew it.

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Love AF, haven't seen RS yet.

Darryl

22. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I liked AF quite a bit. I seem to like everything that Francis McDormand appears in. Rock Star is fun escapism, but not in the same league as AF, IMO.

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I loved Almost Famous. I didn't know there was a bootleg cut. I'll have to check that out.

Rock Star...eh nothing I'd ever watch twice.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Almost Famous is a classic.

Chris from Chicago and bababooey like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Almost Famous is a classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.