Already happy with my a-s801...next purchase speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jul 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

The 801 was not meant to be an end game piece for me, but I have been pleased with how it sounds. I would be happy keeping it around for a while. I never intended to keep my jamo s606 speakers long term. Best next purchase a new pair of speakers?

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Anything special in mind that you’ve had your eye on?

3. WvL

Unfortunately no easy way to hear them without buying them and crossing my fingers. spatial audio, especially the x5, is on my short list. My wife likes that they are available in white. :righton:

Ingenieur and aorecords like this.
  4. Khorn

Wow. Just looked them up and a very interesting approach. They look like they might be worth taking a chance on. Any satisfaction policy? Have you called them?

5. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

You could try Andrew Jones's speakers....the 801 is one of the amps he uses when he voices his speakers...

Roland Stoves, George P and bhazen like this.
  6. WvL

I have spoke to Clayton at Spatial Audio before. great guy. very helpful and willing to talk about my situation and what I enjoy. Very personable. There is a trial period, but I would have to pay to ship them back (most likely). From what I have heard, nobody has returned a pair.

Khorn likes this.
  7. Khorn

The more I look at these the more intriguing the approach. They may great sounding and potentially seem to be a very good value.

8. Khorn

It’s easy enough for me to say as it’s not my money involved but sometimes a “leap of faith” can be warranted. Only you can decide if it’s worth the hassle but sometimes it’s the chance you have to take.

9. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I was so close to purchasing a pair of Spatials a few years ago. I emailed and spoke to Clayton, he said the M3's would be perfect for listening to classical music. The deal breaker was when he told me the speakers needed a minimum of 3' from the wall to achieve the realism I was looking for. My room was too small.

10. WvL

The front of my current speakers are 30-36 inches from the front wall and each side wall. Shouldn't be a problem with placement

Edit: 76-91 cm :righton:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Rick58 and Lowrider75 like this.
  11. Itamar.K

Itamar.K Well-Known Member

Which music do you like and usually listen? loud volume?
    If the Jamo was in mind, I guess you prefer aesthetic speakers?

12. WvL

Volume? Loudest is 85 db. Average is in the upper 60s to 70s. Music? Just about everything, depending on my mood. Lots of jazz and 70s-80s rock/pop, but not just that

13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I've heard a few different Spatial speakers over the years at shows. They're really great. I say go for it.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

check with @Helom . he has owned the spatials and ayamaha amp.

timind, Ingenieur and WvL like this.
  15. Khorn

I believe those maximum levels really widen your choice in speakers and amplification if that makes sense to you.

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I haven’t heard the newer Spatials but the M4 and M4 Triode Master both paired well with my Yamaha amps. The open-baffle design benefits from the slight upper bass boost that Yamahas seem to have in common.

The Sapphires should be fairly sensitive so the Yamaha should have more than enough power.

Clayton won’t give you grief if they don’t work for you, so the only risk is return shipping cost. If his new models are better than the old, and you can accommodate the space requirements, an in-home trial is a no-brainer IMO.

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Though I haven’t heard the X series I have heard the M5 Sapphires. The natural and effortless sound they produced was extremely pleasing to my ears. That system was running a NuForce STA 200. Spatials X series seems very interesting to me as an open baffle user, the active LF really solves a lot of the bass problems that detour a lot of folks in n my opinion. I have run the LF section of my OB active and really enjoyed the results, and I may eventually go back to that. If you have an interest in OB I would say Spatial is a excellent choice.

18. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

They look interesting
    Really efficient 97 dB 1 W/1 meter

lots of info here
    Spatial Audio

demo locations
    Demo Locations | Spatial Audio Lab

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Those Jamos are hard to beat; great speakers ! I'd normally say Klipsch, but in your case, keep ! (rhyme intended). In all seriousness, go bigger floorstanders or add a sub. Polk maybe ? Fortes, since you're into 85db rock territory, just like me ?

Khorn likes this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you haven't already, you should check AudioCircle for info on Spatial. Clayton has a dedicated circle there:
    Spatial Audio

WvL likes this.
  21. WvL

I have the matching Jamo sub already :righton:

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. Khorn

One thing I may have missed is what you feel is lacking with your present speaker setup? Just what type of sound are you trying to achieve?

BeauZooka and The Pinhead like this.
  23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My thoughts EXACTLY:righton:. Maybe an edgier sound for rock ?

Khorn likes this.
  24. Khorn

One thing. I know you’re happy with your amp right now but you might consider stepping up the power/current capability of your amplification.

I know it could rapidly increase expenditure but there are some great integrateds out there if you don’t want to go the separate route which would be my first choice.

25. WvL

Not sure if edgier would be the best direction for me. Sometimes it would definitely fit, but I'm thinking not for every day listening.

Tough to say what I would like. I've heard magnepan 1.7 and b&w 801, but was unimpressed. Heard MartinLogan run off of a tube integrated and liked it. Heard Vandersteen Quattros run off of huge monoblocks that blew me away, but they are way outside my budget. I like it when the music comes alive. I can shut my eyes and I am there/they are in my living room. well defined placement in a wide deep and tall soundstage. Full frequency response starting in the low bass all the way up (my hearing probably has a serious decline around 14KHz). Detailed mids and highs without it being harsh. Does any of this make sense?

Edit:

My Jamos sound much better with the Yamaha, but the soundstage tends to be lumped together in the middle. They are just lacking something to the sound. Hard to put it into words. They sound like good speakers, but I want the speakers to disappear into the music.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.