Alternate cuts of classic movies that are finally seeing the light of day on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

wayneklein likes this.
  2. What an awful, awful cover.

Spaghettiows, Simon A and Jim B. like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

• "The Unrated Cut of the Film, including footage restored from the International Cut and the original Home Video Cut. "
    Since this footage has always been available as an International Cut, would it still qualify for @Rocker's thread ?

Colors (Comparison: Theatrical Version - Extended UK VHS Version) - Movie-Censorship.com

Colors Collector's Edition Blu-ray Detailed

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

In reply to some previous suggestions:

The Aliens special edition was released on VHS in 1992.

The unrated cut of Death Wish II has been available for 15 years on DVD in much of Europe and elsewhere, and presumably on VHS prior to that.

5. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Does anyone know how this cut of the film differs from the "R RATED" theatrical that is currently on blu?

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

waiting for my copy of this to show up from the UK and put my multi-region player to good use...still have my old laserdisc set!

[​IMG]

longdist01 and C6H12O6 like this.
  7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

One Million Years B.C.

The just-released blu-ray 2 disk set includes both the U.S. cut and the longer international cut.

8. Myke

9. Oatsdad

I get the impression the new "Colors" BD is a unique version of the film. The PR blurb indicates it includes footage from two different "alternate versions", so that makes it new, methinks...

10. DetroitDoomsayer

11. Oatsdad

I don't think we'll know specifically how the "Director's Cut" differs from the theatrical version until the Blu-ray arrives.

A thread on the Home Theater Forum discusses the topic, and Ron Epstein got a quote from Paramount that states the director "added scenes to the theatrical R-rated version that round out character and plot, making the Director’s Cut his complete vision".

To date, I don't believe we know what those scenes contain.

Here's the HTF thread:

PHE Press Release: Saturday Night Fever 40th Anniversary Director's Cut (Blu-ray)

12. DetroitDoomsayer

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. Not the version with all the footage and finished visual effects for "Aliens". There was a broadcast version that aired but that differs from th version released on DVD and Blu-Ray. it was released at the same time as the DVD in 1999.

14. Myke

Where are you seeing two different " alternate versions " ? I only see the extended UK, or "International Cut." Approx. 7 minutes longer than the theatrical cut.
    High Def Digest even points out in their review..." Granted, the source, which appears to have been borrowed from Second Sight for their UK release, reveals its age with a few sequences looking blurry and poorly resolved. However, the condition of those particular areas is related to the extended footage taken from other sources for making this unrated cut of the movie. "

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I'm pretty certain it was all finished for the 1992 VHS release. This backs me up:

Aliens Special Edition

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wish they'd include the PG version.

17. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

The Criterion Collection version of Charlie Chaplin's Gold Rush includes the original cut of the film with the reissue music. I think this is a big improvement over previous releases.

Derek Gee likes this.
  18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

No Directors cut of Dragonslayer or Robocop 2 forget it.
    I have some already on dvd.

19. You are absolutely right--I forgot that I had the Laserdisc from that time. There were some additional alterations made to the 1999 DVD that were also exclusive to that release as well.

20. Oatsdad

The press release mentions two versions: the International Cut and the "home video cut".

It implies that the "unrated cut" on the BD takes footage from both of those...

21. Oatsdad

I'd be curious to see it.

"SNF" was the first "R" movie I ever saw, and I wanted to go largely because I liked the music so much.

My mom grudgingly agreed to take me. The "PG" cut came out like 2 weeks after we saw the "R" version - I think she was POed that she took me to the "R" since she could've gotten away with "PG" if she'd waited! :D

22. Myke

Shaking my head, the "home video cut" is the theatrical cut. They're making it sound like there's more than there is. If anyone takes a few minutes to research this title, they'll see there's only been 2 cuts since 1988.

23. Oatsdad

Which begs the question: if the "home video cut" and the theatrical cut are the same, why would they call it the "home video cut"? Why would they refer to it that way?

If you're right and the "home video cut" = "theatrical cut", the entire blurb makes no sense. Why not just call this the "International Version" if that's what this is?

Whether or not the BD represents a new version of the film, the press release strongly implies that it melds together two separate non-theatrical versions...

24. Myke

Doesn't have to make sense, they're trying to push an old product not that many people want to buy. It's also not the first time this has been done.
    As I said, research.
    Go look for a third version, see what you find.
    Best of luck.

I'm about to watch this Blu ray, so I'll see for myself.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I only saw the PG version in the theatre. I remember everybody cracking up at the 'You fakers!' line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.