Alternate cuts of classic movies that are finally seeing the light of day on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

What were the "additional alterations"?

2. Rocker

The recent Blu-ray from Shout Factory is the first R1 release, though... so there are probably a lot of people here who have never seen the uncut version.
    I probably should have stated in my original post that I'm only concerned with R1 releases.... would've saved some confusion. :p

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

club 54 movie with Mike Myers

Plus stuff like Blue Velvet have come out with unseen 45+ minutes of deleted scenes just for the blu-ray era.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's DVD speak. Blu rays are Region A, B, C.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

The recently released Warner Archive Blu Ray of THE BIG SLEEP has two versions of the film on it, the pre-release version being the other.

6. Rocker

The first DVD release from 2000 contained both versions.

Simon A likes this.
  7. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Not in Australia.

8. Rocker

Man, was the new "director's cut" of Bad Moon ever a huge disappointment.... not only did it NOT use the infamous unrated opening sequence (which is included as an extra on the Blu-ray), but it's actually about 25 seconds shorter than the theatrical version, due to the director removing most of the "morphing" shots during the final transformation scene. :rolleyes:

9. Rocker

The new director's cut of Raising Cain is kind of an interesting oddball.... it features all the same footage as the theatrical version, but many scenes are re-arranged and shown in a totally different order. Apparently this is how De Palma originally envisioned the film.

Simon A likes this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I loved the directors cut of Donnie Darko. It filled is in on a few details more fully telling a whole story.

I find the Godfather Epic (or saga) to be an abomination getting rid of the more violent scenes and telling this long classic story in chronological order.

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The Complete Metropolis (1927) included pieces of the film long thought missing. Only one short section remains lost.

Quite a change from the public domain versions I first saw on VHS 30 years ago.

[​IMG]

12. Rocker

The Blu-ray of Chato's Land is the uncut international version, whereas the old DVD was the edited PG version. (Unfortunately, the Blu-ray is a limited edition of 3,000 copies, so tracking one down might be tough).

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I just watched half of Once Upon A Time In America on blu last night. This bugger comes in at 251 minutes! I think the older, long version was 225. Although I'm sure someone hear knows. Of course there was also the famously chopped US version that was significantly shorter.

Pretty fantastic transfer BTW.

EDIT: Apparently this version does include 22 min of previously lost footage.
    Once Upon a Time in America: Extended Director's (Blu-ray)

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That would be the BluRay were the rest of the film was darkened so that the added scenes didn't stand out, right?

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Half of "Piddle, Twiddle and Resolve", the reprise of "The Lees of Old Virginia" and an alternate line of dialogue were restored along with what was added on the DVD.

BZync and apesfan like this.
  16. John Moschella

Yes, its the blu ray. In the link posted above they state

"The majority of Once Upon a Time in America's running time consists of the previously available theatrical cut footage, which was meticulously restored in 4K for this release. Instead of creating a more colorful visual palette, the restoration pulls down some of the colors and showcases a presentation that focuses more on the grays, which is closer to Leone's intention. The 1080p Blu-Ray transfer is a visual feast that perfectly captures the film's exquisite cinematography by Leone regular Tonino Delli Colli."

I think it looks great, but the "lost footage" sticks out like a sore thumb, it has a VHS feel to it. So your statement really doesn't make any sense.
    Where did you get that information from?

17. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

the longer cut of Altman's Vincent and Theo would be great on american shores . .

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, that was more of an opinion than factual statement.

19. John Moschella

Oh sorry.

So you watched the blu-ray?

mBen989 likes this.
  20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes and it's since been traded in. It's a good thing I hung onto the DVD.

21. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Why not get this blu-ray? It's the same cut as the DVD without the disc break and improved picture quality over the dvd.

[​IMG]

22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

For the horror fans:

Synapse's Blu of The Dorm that Dripped Blood contains an early version under the title Pranks which contains more gore than versions previously seen on video.

Scorpion's Don't Go in the House restores an original pre-release version of the film from the negative under the original title The Burning including additional scenes (though unfortunately its audio track contains an error or two, apparently having been censored for television).

23. Rocker

The Blu-ray of Vanilla Sky includes a slightly longer "director's cut" with an alternate ending.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Donnie Darko.
    The extra minutes are always welcome with Director cuts.

25. Richard Donner's cut of Superman II may not count due to this originally being released on DVD in 2006, but what about the three-hour extended TV cut of the first Superman that was released last year? With the exception of one scene using an alternate camera angle and the sound mix having to be restored for the opening theme, this is a long overdue (widescreen) copy of what had been circulating for years in fan circles as the so-called international cut. However, it seems as if Donner himself doesn't approve of this version, which is more like a vintage compilation of nearly everything that had been shot to pad out broadcast showings as opposed to ever being intended as a proper director's cut. Saying that, Donner's vision for II is something we'll never truly get, as he was forced to use shots directed by Richard Lester along with a handful of new CGI sequences plus some extras who didn't receive any credit - all these years later, we still don't know who played the new Clark Kent/Superman outside the one brief close-up where editor Michael Thau was seen picking up the green crystal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.