Alternate cuts of classic movies that are finally seeing the light of day on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's a far better movie than its reputation. If I recall correctly, once Michael Douglas came on board, it had to be rewritten to his specifications to a degree and Goldman's original script was far better than the finished movie. It still plays really well and the character Douglas played had an interesting and unexpected fate.

I would be interested in seeing the series as I only saw the theatrical and director's cut. I felt that the director's cut was more interesting but also that the pacing was quite as good and the theatrical seemed more streamlined. Nevertheless, the character development moments in the director's cut were quite welcome.

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The mini-series version is available on DVD...from Mill Creek.

Simon A likes this.
  3. Nah...I hope is shows up for streaming...I try to avoid buying stuff from Mill Creek. Their QC is pretty horrible.

Michael likes this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You could also track down the old Columbia/Tristar DVD.

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

That looks like a carefully researched and anthropologically accurate exploration of the Mesozoic era. I hope you didn't find too dry and scholarly, but it's important the producers adhered to the facts.

Phil147 and Ringmaster_D like this.
  6. mikebise

mikebise Active Member

I have to get "Conquest On The Planet Of The Apes" now!

apesfan likes this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Just picked up the "Producer's Cut" of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. This is one of those infamous alternate cuts that I'd heard about for many years, but it was never officially available on DVD, so I'm really curious to finally see it now that it's on Blu-ray.

8. Rocker

Does anyone know if either of the North American Blu-ray editions of Hard Target (1993) are the uncut version? As far as I know, all previous DVDs were the R-rated theatrical version, but I've heard rumours that the uncut version is available on Blu-ray... haven't been able to find a definitive answer, though. The film is available on Blu-ray as both a stand-alone release, and as part of the "Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack". I've been wanting to see the uncut version for years but have never had the opportunity!

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The website DVDcompare says yes; also confirmed by the forums on blu-ray.com.

Rocker likes this.
  10. Rocker

Cool.... now if we could only get the uncut version of Cliffhanger as well.... ;)

11. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I found it very interesting that the complete copy was found at The Museum of Modern Art, which had two prints, and one of them turned out to be the complete original, and no one knew for 70+ years! Warner had this information as a storage facility, and apparently it just sat there all these years. That has to make you wonder what else is sitting somewhere.

fr in sc likes this.
  12. Rocker

I see there's a new Blu-ray edition of Body of Evidence that's marked as an "101-Minute Unrated Extended Director's Cut"... anyone know if this is a different unrated cut than what appeared on the old DVD? The old disc included both the 99-minute R-rated version and a 100-minute Unrated version, but I'm wondering if this new "Unrated Extended Director's Cut" is the same thing. According to IMDb, there were 3 different cuts of the film, but it doesn't give any details about the differences.

13. Rocker

Watching this right now... it's about 6 or 7 minutes longer than the theatrical version, but unfortunately it's been so long since my last viewing that I wouldn't have recognized the additional footage without looking it up first. :p

I also forgot that Roger Ebert gave it a good review:
    Mimic Movie Review & Film Summary (1997) | Roger Ebert

14. Rocker

Shout Factory's release of Two Minute Warning (1976) contains both the 115-minute theatrical version, plus the 141-minute TV version. The reason for the TV version being so much longer is one of the more bizarre cases of network meddling I've ever heard....

Two-Minute Warning (1976) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

15. The German version of "Psycho" will feature the international cut with 22 seconds more footage probably of the murder scene. Doesn't sound like a lot but it was the difference between the MPAA approving the film for release in theaters and it never seeing the light of day.

fr in sc likes this.
  16. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Driller Killer Blu-ray has a different cut on it

17. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Is the TV version someone's homemade copy? Presumably, the negative for this version went up in flames due to the Universal fire 10 years ago.

18. Rocker

The TV version looks like it was taken from someone's VHS copy... it's full-screen, the picture quality is bad, there are fade-outs where the commercial breaks would've been, the TNT logo occasionally appears in the corner, and there's even a voice-over promo for Kung Fu during the end credits. :p All these factors, combined with it being included as merely a bonus feature in the extras menu (as opposed to it being a selectable version from the main menu) leads me to believe that Shout included it merely as an historical curiosity, and nothing more. It was interesting to see how the film was so massively re-edited to create the longer TV cut, but it's certainly not going to be anyone's go-to version of the movie, so the sub-par quality isn't really a big deal.

Vahan likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as most of their PD DVDs...

20. Michael

if you find it let us know...I'd love to see it.

21. Michael

link please. : )

22. Likewise "The Thing" alternate version is pulled from a videotape master at much lower resolution than BD. My guess is that either the assembled version was created on videotape using a U matic video master or assembled on Quadruplex videotape or was disassembled after it was used (or it could also be a victim of the Universal fire). The quality is pretty crappy but it is a curio because of the way it was altered for broadcast premiere (particularly with the voice over designed to pander to a less "intelligent" audience I suppose as it explains everything at least in the beginning).

Vahan likes this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

24. Michael

mBen989 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.