Alternative to Discogs marketplace

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Giacomo Belbo, May 13, 2018.

1. ggergm

ggergm red right returning

I feel the same way about AudiophileUSA, which I misnamed upthread. They, too, charge what a record is worth but you are also sure it's properly graded. Frankly, all of the stores on my list are this way. If I'm looking for a record and find it available from one of them, I stop looking.

At this point in my record collecting experience I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest price but an honest deal.. I just looked up my last two purchases from Craig Moerer's Records By Mail. One was a 12" single of The Alarm's "Rain In The Summertime." That was $6. The other was a Japanese first pressing of The Jam's Sound Affects LP. That cost me $15. Shipping was $4 in both cases. Those are totally fair prices.

I'm glad to see some love in this thread for Musicstack. Dave Stack has done a nice job with the site, making it internationally based with only a third of its sellers in the United States (link). He's the first to admit it's not a high volume sales site (link) but Musicstack also has a level of trustworthiness when it comes to buyer-seller relationships. You just don't find that on Discogs and certainly not Ebay.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  2. E-Rock

E-Rock Forum Resident

Reverb now has a sub-site dedicated to music sales, called Reverb LP.

Buy & Sell New, Used, and Rare Music | Reverb LP

For those who may not be aware, Reverb has become the #1 online marketplace for used musical instruments and pro audio equipment over the past few years. I have not yet purchased any vinyl or CDs from Reverb LP, but I certainly would consider it, as I've completed several smooth transactions as both a buyer and seller on the main Reverb site.

(FWIW, I have noticed that some sellers on Reverb LP appear to also have listings on Discogs.)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  3. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Discogs is good for what it is, but one should always be discriminating when buying and never rely on just one resource. Many listings are overpriced and overgraded. Look for the warning signs in sellers feedback (e.g. any reports of inaccurate grading) and check on their return policies. If in doubt, strike up a conversation with the seller and ask some questions first. Say something like "I'm interested in your listing for this album. I see you've graded it as NM. I'm very picky about album condition, so can you verify that this album is indeed in this condition, with no scratches, scuffs, groove wear, and soiling?" Their response will often help your decision. If their reply is short and uninformative, I would avoid them. If they provide a more detailed explanation of the record's condition, you have more information to go by... even if it's just information on how the seller grades their records.

When in doubt, just wait for the next listing to come along. Very few records are so rare that you have to settle for the first (or only) copy you find.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Forum Resident

I agree. If anything on there is NM, I tend to ask questions first. If they have zero description, I'm less inclined to buy from them. So far I haven't had any bad issues except some lady who didn't pack anything between an Easybeats record and where you cut into the box... and Easybeats albums aren't that cheap. I sell on there and honestly, the last thing I want is another place to put stuff up for sale. I think what really needs to happen is Discogs to allow uploaded photos. It's a good platform but if it lacks one major selling tool, it's that!

E.Baba, Giacomo Belbo and Blue Gecko like this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Forum Resident

Jack Wolak's Rare Necessities has been one of my favorite sellers for about 20 years now. Never had an problem with an order and everything they ship is thoroughly inspected and packaged with protection. Some of you may have bought items from them on GEMM when it was still operating.
    Jack Wolak's Rare Necessities

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 12:59 AM
    ggergm and Giacomo Belbo like this.