Alternative to ipod classic?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Feb 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have a few hundred SACD's. It does appear it is a bit more work to create the FLAC files though ...

2. coopmv

I don't care much to have a smartphone to be my Swiss army knife. I have separate GPS, music player or full-sized stereo system and do not need the all-in-one job ...

Witchy Woman and TimM like this.
  3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I still roll with my 1st-Gen Fiio X1 99% of the time. When the battery runs out, I put it on the charger for the day and grab my iPod Touch 128gb 6th-Gen. I like the iPod Touch software and touchscreen interface better but the Fiio sounds better on my car stereo system, does not require iTunes and I don't have to convert my FLAC files to Apple Lossless or AAC to play them. I think when the Fiio dies, I'll go pick up a cheap Android phone (like an older Samsung) without a mobile plan, that takes a microSD card and use it as a music player.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Can music files from iTunes be loaded directly to a thumb drive, to play in a car stereo?

5. Ha, I had one of these too. It had a feature where you could add a custom splash graphic. I made a little Krazy Kat one for mine. Worked well until I dropped it. Hope you can get yours working ok again.

-s1m0n-

6. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Since this thread got bumped, I figured I'd chime in again about my X1. It's still going strong, with only one issue encountered: a sudden lapse in scrolling response that was rectified with a firmware update. Nice product.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  7. Here's a question for FiiO (X1) owners. What's the internal database album/song limit? Also, can you play albums of files from a folder listing (assuming there is such a view)?

I ask because I am currently using a Sandisk Sansa Clip and maxed out the DB song limit but switched to the Rockbox firmware which lets me use folder mode with good success. That said, someday I'll need a replacement...

-s1m0n-

8. coopmv

Are most people playing music on their phones these days?

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep.

10. coopmv

Do iPhone owners just play music on their iPhone via iTunes?

I wish I had gotten a Zune before it was discontinued.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

At this point I think the majority of people use a streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Let me also recommend the Fiio x-1. Plays most files including the WMA files I have all my Chicago discs on. :)

I havent been able to encode my apple music files as of yet but I’m working on it.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yes but it depends on what lossy format you're using. Some vehicles only support mp3 and wma. Your owner's manual should supply more details.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  14. coopmv

I have my doubt about the competency in computer/internet technologies when it comes to traditional automakers. I almost fell off my chair when I heard GM exec making the claim GM is ready for autonomous driving, really? :yikes:

15. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

I'm fortunate that my Volvo S90 does tons of streaming, including high resolution (320KB mp3 basically) Spotify. I still keep a tiny ipod attached and stashed in the console box though, for times when internet connectivity is sketchy or I don't want to poke around on the touch screen to hunt down an artist.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm sure if Sony brought back the Walkman ( retro sized eighties look) it would sell with cassettes still being available /manufactured that is.

17. Wayne Bull

Wayne Bull Forum Resident

I've just gone back to using my Sony Minidisc Walkman and I've haven't enjoyed portable listening this much since I originally gave it up.

It's lovely just putting a disc in of your own mix of music or favourite album and not having the temptation to keep skipping.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic as well and I'm loving making mixtapes again.

Us 80s kids ay......

Runicen likes this.
  18. coopmv

Sony probably has never stopped making Walkman or its equivalent, as people in many countries in Asia and Africa still listen to cassette tapes ...

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Original was pretty robust.

20. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

The just announced iPhone Xs offers 512gb largest ever storage in an iPhone. Would love to get one of these to replace my iPhone 5s and 480GB micro SD iPod classic, but the price… :yikes:

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Haven't read all 7 pages, but hopefully you just moved on to a 64gb iPhone! That's my main player (and luckily my classic is still working), is used as backup on my 2nd stereo and for Camping.

22. coopmv

I just don't like the fact that it is either iPhone or Galaxy. I need alternative but will not buy Huawei or ZTE even if they are not banned ...

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although this is a bit old I'll respond to it: To avoid the issue I've ripped everything to FLAC regardless of which player I will be using. Then, I use my music management program to do on-the-fly conversion when necessary (the original file is untouched). I use both MediaMonkey and MediaGo, and both allow this and to allow you to choose the resulting format. The only disadvantage is that it takes longer to load the audio files on your player. Still, it puts me in the good position of "rip once, convert as needed."

I remember seeing a video a few years ago on YouTube that reported the news that Sony had discontinued the cassette Walkman. Sony still does release Walkman players, but now they are in the form of digital audio players and many play lossless files like FLAC. I'm currently using an NWZ-A17 which plays MP3, AAC, WMP, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, and ALAC.

I think that a new true compact cassette Walkman from Sony would sell. Rather than a retro 1980s player (which often had slider controls for the volume, which I disliked), I'd like to see something more in the line of the 1990s players, which had full logic controls, and electronic controls, and looked very sleek. Plus, I'd rather have it be just a cassette player designed for good sound, rather than adding features like a radio.

One of the major issues I see with the compact cassette revival, one mentioned in many YouTube videos, is that the only option is to purchase used equipment since no new decks/players are being made. There are a few players released in the form of portables and boom boxes that I've seen are new but that's about it.

24. coopmv

I have used Windows 10 media player to rip CD's as FLAC files to my computer. Hopefully, those FLAC files are not MS specials and will work on other digital devices. I downloaded some app that is supposed to ensure FLAC files to be universally playable ...

25. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

I've got a Sony Xperia that is very nice. Still has a headphone jack, is waterproof, and supports super high capacity microSD cards. It's an android phone and has amazing battery life and management. Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.