Am I the only guy w little or no interest in streaming high resolution?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flybynight88

Flybynight88 Forum Resident

Ty Wolf, yes I do run windows, just built a new comp for myself...I travel a lot and wanted to organize some files to take with me, to give you the short of it. I cant always be by my audio center when I work at home. I should have elaborated more but then it wasnt the right thread and I was pressed for time.

wolfram likes this.
  2. Flybynight88

Windows platform, thank you
    Thanks Agitater...yes windows platform. Sorry I was pulled away and could not answer last night. Not up to date or player/ organizer apps. I want organize some music and playlists on a DAP to take on the road with me. I travel a lot and cant drive and listen to radio all day

3. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

No interest in streaming in ANY resolution, my friend.

4. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No!
    I also have little or no interest.

Q. Would a contemporary streamer swap me his files and SACD's for the same qty in return of my Mono & Stereo original LP pressings circa 1964-72?

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Sorry for appearing to have insulted you. I was light-heartedly being facetious. I agree and support you, that (1) anyone should be able to ask any question in any thread, and (2) everyone's taste in format, expression of this hobby, and choice of where and how to hear music are all personal.

I simply felt like bouncing-off your comment (in this thread titled "...little or no interest..."), with an expression of my own personal taste, with no criticism of your's intended.

Can you please read it again, with consideration of my intent, and tell me if you can identify at all with my personal interest in the beautiful aural aspect of music listening, rather than the organization and busy-work of digital music collecting?

misterdecibel likes this.
  7. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Maybe a better rule is that nobody should ever criticize anyone, nor say anything that could incorrectly perceived as a critical comment. Then we could just all be supportive of each other and live in complete harmony.

By the way, one step towards that would have to include getting rid of your moniker "Agitater", and replacing it with a more ameliorating term.

8. marka

marka Forum Resident

I think that there’s more work/hassle with non-digital. It’s usually worth it, but not always feasible. Digital, including streaming, also provides me with many advantages that I don’t get otherwise. Portability, ability to discover new things, easier to make and change selections, to name a few.

As for the “beautiful aural aspect of music listening”, if you avoid the organization and busy-work aspects while listening, you can sometimes get that, too. At the recent T.H.E. Show, I only liked a few of the rooms I visited. In one room, the sound was great, and I was shocked to learn that the source material was being streamed.

Of course, the Audio Note (UK) room using a Voss phonostage sounded much better, but that doesn’t take away from the sonics of the room with streaming audio.

Just my inexperienced opinion...

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  9. Flybynight88

No worries Warren..I could have been a little clearer myself. I got a short notice to go on the road. I cant drive without music. I got a new computer together with nothing loaded on it and I just wanted a hi rez app to organize so I can take some of my music with me. I wish I had more downtime to just sit with my headphones on and chill at home...but that will have to wait until I retire. Which wont be too long. Good music is my life!!

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  10. JRob1125

JRob1125 Well-Known Member

Streaming, to me, is equivalent to the cassette in the 80s and 90s....a "moble" format that's cheaper than CDs, vinyl and Hi-Res. Sound quality never a concern (within reason....96K or better is all I need)

11. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

. . . or maybe the better rule is not to criticize anyone’s choice of music format. There’s no political correctness or mealy-mouthed weakness about that at all. There’s no falsifiable fair-mindedness about it either. It’s sensible, it allows deeper conversations with a wider variety of people, and it’s civilized.

Ah . . . What’s in a name, boy? Perhaps another boy who chose it in the early ‘80s as his Usenet handle? Yes - that’s it. My research partner and I set up a UUCP server in 1981, chose handles and stuck with them for all this time. I’ll never change my handle. Made friends all over the world over the past 37 years who know me as Agitater. Many of us have met and talked and deepened those friendships in the U.S., England, France, Germany, Belgium, Italy and many other countries. I wouldn’t change my handle because the people I’ve met through it are far more valuable to me than any objections glibly eructed with histrionic conceit.

12. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

No interest in streaming other than to sample something on YouTube or iTunes app to see if I like something enough to buy the record

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

streaming? Yes please
    streaming in hi res? No thanks

14. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Nah, tried it several times and find it less involving.

15. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

If you are a military vet, Tidal offers a discount. My monthly is $11.99. I probably have 150+ Tidal albums fully integrated into my Roon library at any one time. At about 8 cents per album per month, that's a cheap price. I am not yet sold on MQA, but some of the files sound really nice. Roon does the unfolding without a hitch. As usual, quality is source dependent.

Plus, I had a service rip my SACDs and DVD-As to FLAC. Yes, it is legal. With my pre/pro, Roon on my dedicated Mac Mini plays 5.1/4.0 FLAC files through HDMI. For 2.0 I use USB out from the Mini to the DAC. My SQ is bit perfect identical to physical discs.

Upside? I love being able to create playlists, and switch from album cut to album cut at a whim without having to get my lazy butt off the couch.

Downside? None that I can think of. I love it. As I have said before, Roon/Tidal changed the way I interact with my music, for the better. Much better.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    MackKnife and BayouTiger like this.
  16. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Streaming PCM (Tidal) is bit identical to a CD so what's there not to like? I listen to music, I don't fondle it.

BayouTiger and c-eling like this.
  17. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I like music. I listen to it on the turntable, on the radio, on the CD player, when I play my guitar, at a concert, even when it’s coming over the speakers in the grocery store. I’d probably like streaming, but I am already fortunate to have a good stereo in my living room and a good radio in my car. That’s complicated enough for me.

18. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

That jaundiced criticism could just as easily have been levelled at almost any discussion on these forums whether about vinyl, CD, SACD or whatever. It makes little sense to single out downloads alone for such derision.

DML71 likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

It is a valid opinion of Newton John, i see no reason to be defensive.

20. All Down The Line

My bad, i meant to say opinion of Warren Jarett.

21. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Frank, a chromecast audio should be only $30 or so. Plug it into your amp and you can stream direct from a tablet/phone/PC to it. Sign up for one of the trials and away you go. Don't view streaming as a replacement for your collection just as an additional source.

Melvin likes this.
  22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Nope, you’re not the only one
    I am firmly in that camp, so far

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

No. I am not a fan of streaming - especially if it is my primary means of accessing music. Unless, that is, I'm streaming off a server in my home upon which I have ripped digital copies of my own music - be it originally from CD, vinyl, cassette, etc.

24. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

broshfab4 likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

My biggest issue with streaming Leigh is pretty much knowing I'm going to be getting the latest God-awful remaster...
    Not a fan at being at the mercy of labels and what their idea of good sounding is. That 20 a month is just extra old mastering's I can purchase :)
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.