Am I the only guy w little or no interest in streaming high resolution?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No interest in hi rez or streaming whatsoever.

jbmcb, Fishoutofwater and broshfab4 like this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Thanks! I did not know about the discount. I will have to look into that. My experience is similar. Roon took my streaming experience from being something just for portable use to the center of my listening. All my library is there nice and presentable. All my different versions are there to choose from very simply. I think Tidal does a good job of having several mastering available when possible. I get to peruse the editorial write ups while listening, not liner notes, but at least something resembling them. I like to be able to look through the credits when listening.

I was always a vinyl guy, but these days the combination of convenience, curation, selection, control, and having a very capable digital front end has really made the turntable much less of a centerpiece than it has always been in my routine. I truly think I hang on to it more for nostalgia then reality. I also think I am kinda tired at listening to so many guys raving about their vinyl experience while knowing that they have pretty lousy setups and have no idea whet other options are out there.

jmrife and The Pinhead like this.
  3. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

Nopety, nope,nope. I never will stream my music. I have room for physical music storage. I knew it was fishy when my audio dealer kept bugging me to try it and setup in my system. I buy SACD and CD and Blu-ray discs regularly.

apesfan and broshfab4 like this.
  4. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

It wasn't that I was looking on streaming as an alternative, just that the cost of buying kit for streaming (the exact amount needed seems to be an area for much discussion/controversy) would be better spent elsewhere, as my discretionary send is limited.

I did have a look at the Chromecast Audio, thank you, but a couple of reviews talk about problems in streaming from a Chrome browser, which is what I would need to do (my old Win7 laptop is the only relevant tool I have; well, that and the netbook I use for tinkering with Linux...). I think I have a spare optical input into either the Luxman or the Hugo...Might be worth thinking about for a dip of toes in the water.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh:

MusicNBeer and c-eling like this.
  6. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

That's how I feel about all these streamers out there. It's like playing with their AM radio and thinking that's the cat's meow -- meanwhile they've probably never listened to a real hi-fi. Hard going back once you've heard the real deal, with real physical media!

7. same here:wave:

Sharp 1080 and eflatminor like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have little or no interest in streaming because I prefer to own the music, play what I want, when and where I want, and not be tethered to a service.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Running Chromecast Audio through a DAC will cost you little and is surprisingly good quality. You can make a decent fist of listening to those Fremer comparison videos on Youtube. You need a computer with wi-fi and Chrome browser. It all works seamlessly with win 10 but should be no problem in Win 7. I did find initial set up to be not that intuitive. I only use streaming to sample stuff. Physical media for me all the way for serious listening.

10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I use streaming to discover new music, but prefer local storage of files and music.

11. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I like streaming and find it has its place, but it hasn’t replaced physical media for me which I continue to purchase.

However, streaming is great if I’m entertaining or busy in the kitchen or something like that. It’s also great for checking out new music and new releases to see if they are worth buying.

I’m not in the least interested in high rez streaming though, in fact I never really got excited about physical high rez either. I’m perfectly pleased with my vinyl, CDs and CD quality rips.

Tim 2 likes this.
  12. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

The only streaming I do is sample music off Bandcamp or Amazon before buying. I don't want to be tethered to a service that has a limited playlist. My tastes are somewhat schizophrenic and there is just a lot of the music I love that isn't available on these services. This is even before you take into account all the live releases and ROIO shows I've collected over the years.

13. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

My streaming is Radioparadise a few times a week and Spotify a handful of times a year.

14. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I like streaming and I'm happy with the 320kbit/s from Spotify.

smartiepants and wgriel like this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I stream and have physical media, why limit ones music selection.
    One plus about streaming, you can get just about anything anytime and in Hi-res if you choose.

16. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

nothing wrong with streaming I am constantly on Spotify when away from my records & CDs, the choice is vast and I don't buy into the "limited playlist" issue, if there is something that you know exists but it doesn't exist on a streaming service then you probably own it already so already have to option to play it, the wealth of new music that I have discovered whist streaming has increased my physical purchases and gig choices by a huge amount supporting new and interesting artists on the way, I thought it would save me money, it doesn't, it just give me better choices!!

17. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have Sirius radio on my home system. Is that considered streaming?

18. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I listen to streaming every now and then, mainly to listen to different kinds of music. If I really want to try out a new record, I'll get the CD from my library to listen to. If I think I'm going to listen to it more than once, I'll buy it.

As an aside, I was looking for an obscure Detroit techno album from my local library, and found out that Michigan State University had a copy. I checked it out, and it turns out that the technology conglomerate Rovi (they own Tivo) donated their massive media collection to MSU. This includes over 700,000 CDs. Any of it is available by request to anyone with a Michigan library card. It's a pretty incredible collection:

Search / About | Rovi | Collections | MSU Libraries

bever70 and classicrocker like this.
  19. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

No interest in paying for streaming music. I rip my preferred music, at 320K to my phone for portable listening and can stream that to my Bluetooth speaker or headphones while doing chores outside or barbecuing. When working in the house I usually play vinyl from the family room. In the car I either stream from my phone or play a CD. I will say I think us lovers of physical media are the minority as the guys who work for me bust my stones about still using CD's and buying vinyl as they are all streamers.

Clonesteak and mds like this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Based on this thread, I'd say its because you can claim it makes you a better person. Not like those streamers </spits on ground>.

Encore likes this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

LOL " makes you a better person " wow what a dreamer you are to come up with that one.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Ten pages of virtue signaling can't be wrong! Earlier on this page we have a person who compares streaming to AM radio. Two posts later we have a guy who claims he wouldn't be able to choose the music he listens to if he used a streaming service. Very well informed folks around here.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  23. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I am also fortunate to have a decent library with a very good and big collection of cd's in my neighbourhood. I go down there once a month and usually return with 20+ cd's. It is just nice to go in there and do some digging!

mds likes this.
  24. Mobs

Mobs Forum Resident

I love Vinyl the most, but I cannot dismiss the ease of use and awesome sound my PS Audio Directstream via its bridge with Roon, directing the traffic from my iPad.

Machiventa and jbmcb like this.
  25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I agree with you to a large extent: Streaming sound quality is of course nothing like AM radio, and in fact is far better than FM radio. And it is a bit tiring to see the avalanche of blanket "I have no use for streaming, it sounds like crap, why not just dig in the bins" every time the subject gets raised in a thread.

At the same time, I think you're mistaken in your snark about people who say they wouldn't be able to choose their music if they used a streaming service. There is actually some important truth to this, for two reasons:
    1. Just as with video streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, content can - and does - pop in and out of music streaming libraries. Now, in practice the number/percentage of albums that disappear from time to time might be small - but still, the idea that you owe the subscription fee every month even if an album you want to hear suddenly stops being available, is understandably a galling idea to many folks who are passionate about particular catalogues of music that might include some pretty marginal stuff.
    2. Folks here are particularly interested in certain masterings of albums, and with streaming services you never have a full choice - you're not going to find RCA Bowie masterings, Barry Diament Zep masterings, 1980s Japan CD masterings, or original Australian Albert AC/DC CD masterings on a streaming service. Yes, folks can just play their own CDs for those - but for many SH forum members, not being able to seamlessly integrate those masterings with their streaming playback, and often not knowing what mastering they're even listening to on a streaming service, is not their idea of a good time.

As for the OP's more specific question about high-res streaming in particular, personally I don't care about it. I don't have any streaming subscriptions myself, but I can say that once you get to 256k AAC/320k mp3 (streaming or local playback), it starts to get very difficult to distinguish from true lossless. Were I to start a streaming subscription that I intended to use with my main stereo, I would go for a lossless tier, because I do believe it sometimes makes a detectable difference when one is focusing on listening as the primary activity. But redbook would be fine for me - after all, the majority of my physical music is redbook CDs, and the majority of my high-res physical music is SACD (which IMHO sounds a little different because of the different encoding and filtering method) - I have a vanishingly small number of PCM high-res optical discs, and there again I favor those more for the mastering than the 24/96 or whatever resolution.

All Down The Line and DML71 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.