Am I the only guy w little or no interest in streaming high resolution?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I don't do the streaming thing, like many around these parts, I'm ol' skool! What strikes is how my 34 yr old son doesn't own ANY physical media. Hell, he thinks I'm crazy for having bought all the music I own, he's grown up in a time where downloading for free is the norm! Wireless headphones and his iPhone is all the gear he needs. I tried! I used to put headphones on his mommas belly attempting to subliminally influence his taste in music, it didn't take!;) While I don't believe the audiophile hobby will ever completely disappear, it's gonna shrink even more with the generations to come.

timind likes this.
  2. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

I can’t agree more, I thought I’d never like it, always went on about physical media, blah blah blah, I gave in and tried it, I still listen to cd’s, but Tidal sounds great, kid in a candy store, 3mths free trial, then judge !!

bldg blok and timind like this.
  3. aboulfad

aboulfad Active Member

@Mike from NYC , I appreciate your open mindness. That’s what we need more in this world! I re-discovered with Tidal HiFi all the music I grew up with without having to buying all those CDs.

It took me few years of persistence to get my late father in law to join the digital world, and had he been still here, I bet he would have loved HiFi streaming!

I also respect all those that hang on to CDs and vinyl,...

4. aboulfad

aboulfad Active Member

@Chazro , it is possible to be an audiophile in the modern digital world . The definition isn’t exclusive to those with separate systems running tube amps and vinyl records :)

5. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

. Just retired after 30 yrs teaching high school. Very, very few kids are buying physical media. Now and then I ran into kids who were into buying LPs but pretty rare. When I would tell students that I had hundreds of CDs and LPs they really couldn’t believe it.

apesfan and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  6. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I don't do streams and I never ever will. Music is my ritual and sitting down for a session, enjoying the album art and liner notes is part of the experience.

I can't do that with a file or a "cloud". It's not real music to me.

ggjjr and Chris Schoen like this.
  7. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

Not real music....what a ridiculous statement

Synthfreek, wolfram, POE_UK and 2 others like this.
  8. Jim13

Jim13 Forum Resident

Music recorded by machines, copied by machines, then played by machines, but your machine plays real music, lucky you.

bldg blok likes this.
  9. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

I utilize both physical format and streaming via Spotify. While I listen to physical format if I can, I enjoy finding new artists to listen to and find it easier to discover on streaming services.

Jim13 likes this.
  10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I’m not interested in streaming period. If was was going to stream I’d prefer it be in hi-Rez.

The thing I notice with streamers is they always ask me to “Name any song. Any song and artist. And watch this.”

Their thing is always they don’t have to invest in a big collection like me and they can still get any song they want at any time. Then I do name a song and artist and they don’t have it.
    :)

Not to mention I prefer specific masterings in music that is important to me. I like to control my own data and I’m not interested in pay per play models for music.

Movies are different I don’t rewatch films enough to own every old movie I enjoy. I only own a few the rest I stream.

apesfan and Chris Schoen like this.
  11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

If you read his post, he said "Music is my ritual", so streaming does not have what he needs to make it "real".
    That's not really ridiculous.

apesfan and billnunan like this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, a buddy came over a few weeks ago, and we hooked his iPad up to my stereo via HRT iStreamer DAC (what I use to connect my iPod)
    and he had lots of tunes. It was fun exploring different songs and bands, but after a while he was going through my albums, and we ended up
    spinning vinyl. It was just a better listening experience, we both agreed.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  13. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

So there's never a time in your schedule when you'll listen to music "for the hell of it", like when you're doing household chores or duties like balancing bank accounts? And anytime you want to listen to music you have to be in a "sweet spot" reading liner notes and album art, regardless of how ingrained to your databank it may be? Different strokes, but there are times when I play music for sh**s and giggles. Now if it is a new physical release that I've picked up, I will set aside the time to absorb it, but I won't follow that protocol each and every time and it's still music when I'm playing it.

Jim13 likes this.
  14. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I'm not like most of you I guess.

When I do sit down and have a "listening session", its always old vinyl that the wife finds at estate sales etc, and brings home. We have a nice, not stellar, vintage set up and its perfect for this.

Most of my listening is done in my car and its certainly not an audiophile environment. I guess I could stream but - I dont need a streaming service to introduce me to new music, I have this place and youtube and friends (yes I have a few friends, believe it or not). The pursuit of OMG NEW MUSIC!!! is not a huge passion for me, I spend too much time creating my own.

as a longtime working musician, part of me feels a bit cannabilistic about streaming. The terrible low payouts etc, streaming hasnt been beneficial to a lot of artists.

Thats another discussion, I know I know, cassette recording, copying mp3s, on and on....... but, I prefer to listen to music that I bought.

Thats just me, I'm not saying anyone else is bad or wrong for streaming or owes anybody something. Dont take this the wrong way.

15. Ben Toby

Ben Toby Forum Resident

Those look amazing! You've got a lot of talent!

I'll try again with my image. I only make these custom "album covers" for live shows that I download from archive.org, because otherwise there would be nothing to look at when I listen to them : )

(Roon is software that I pay $100 year for, that allows me to do a lot of wonderful things that greatly enhance my enjoyment of music. Mainly: it integrates with Tidal, which I pay $an additional 20 per month to have access to CD quality streaming; it allows me to group listening zones, which I make daily use of to connect my living room system with my kitchen system, allowing me to live in my space with seamless high quality music throughout; and it provides "metadata" for all my music (other than live shows - the metadata library is only available for published/commercially available sources). What I mean by "metadata" is that there is almost always a review of all the albums I'm listening to, that I can read while I listen to the music, basically just like liner notes. Also there are links and jumping off points that allow me to click through to new discoveries. I control my system using my phone, tablet, and laptop, depending on where I am at any given time.)

On the larger subject of streaming: heck yes! I'm following a wonderful jazz thread started in 2016 by user Lonson in 2016. There are 800+ pages of recommendations, and I'm just slowly poking through. So far I've found and enjoyed about 15 albums in real time, as I read the thread, available in 44/16 CD quality on Tidal delivered to me via Roon. Once out of 10 tries, the specific album recommended won't be available, but I can always pick from other selections by the same artist. Really really wonderful.

[​IMG]

16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

thanks, um, I've been a professional graphic designer for about 30 years now... generating images is just kinda what I do.

If you want some tips about doing this or whatever, you can contact me privately, no need to hijack this thread any further....

17. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

i have no interest in streaming. i prefer a physical copy of anything.
    I do not like using my hard earned money buying air. enough things cost too much, why should i waste my money on a file, or a download, when i can get the CD or a nice copy on LP, and record it to CD, and still have something to hold in my hand, and enjoy the cover art ( if any ). just my worthless thought.

spend money, actually own something you ca hold in your hand. maybe im weird ? yes,...yes i am.

i play cd and LP all the time. i guess i do stream from time to time, so i have made myself a liar. i do use my iPod to listen in my car, or sometimes at home. oh heck, just forget i wrote anything. :)

enjoy the music

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

bldg blok and audiomixer like this.
  19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I’ll stream when they pry my SACD’s from my cold dead hands.

Albiegator likes this.
  20. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Seems the mindset here in a lot of cases is Format>Music.

POE_UK likes this.
  21. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Well id rather listen to kraftwerk on tape than britney spears on a cd

daglesj likes this.
  22. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Correct again, people think they will be liked more just because they own a sacd player lol, who cares man music is music, if its bad music it will sound bad on any format.

bldg blok likes this.
  23. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

The hipster is strong in this one.

bldg blok and timind like this.
  24. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I have little interest in high-res streaming but a lot of interest in streaming in general. I will always have and enjoy my own library of music but, as others have mentioned, streaming allows for music discovery with unprecedented ease. When I started really getting into jazz it was a true hit/miss affair and I found myself wasting money on discs I didn't ultimately like because I heard 1 song on the radio. (Haven't we all done that?!) Streaming allows me to explore an artist's work and decide if I want to purchase without risk. For the money spent, streaming is a bargain.

bldg blok likes this.
  25. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Music is such a personal thing, everyones different but i can guarantee you there are better dance/house mixes on the internet that you will ever get on a CD, im a sucker for oldskool house and stuff released on cd for me is just too mainstream

bldg blok and Jim13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.