Am I the only one bored with late night talk shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

[​IMG]

2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

While I haven't read through the entire thread, I haven't seen the Steve Allen Show from
    the early to mid sixties mentioned, which to me was by far the best late night show ever
    on TV. Steve, of course, is best remembered as the first host of the Tonight show in the 50's, and established
    it's format, plus he had a prime time show in the late 50's. But the 90 minute show he hosted on late night as
    "The Steve Allen Show" from 1961 to 1965 is the one I'm referring to.
    Every stunt you've seen on Letterman was first done by Allen on this show. "Man on the street"...
    Allen did first. And of course his "Funny Phone Calls".
    Sadly, there are virtually no clips from this show ANYWHERE on the web, other than the hour and 20min
    one I've posted below.
    "Smock! Smock!"

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I watch Colbert's opening monologue sometimes.

Fallon has the worst fake laugh to me anyway.

But yeah, they all pretty much are scripted these days with guest that are just pushing their latest projects.

4. HippieDrill

HippieDrill Forum Resident

i watched Letterman in the 80s and Conan in the 90s. Pretty much lost interest in the format after that.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  5. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Agreed!

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice!

7. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Remember the embarrasing Chevy Chase late talk show?

How long did the Pat Sajack show run? I thought it made it a couple years

8. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I don’t see much of it. Early work schedule. When I do have the time I get through the monologue and then I’m done.

9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I completely lost interest in these shows in the mid 90's when I started to realize how scripted the interviews were. Unfortunately I'm often subjected to these show in the break room (I work nights). When did they all become so political? Unwatchable stuff in my book. To be fair, I'm sure I'm not in their target audience either.

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Wait... Did you stop watching late night television after Carson went off the air or when he died? There's about a 13 year difference. Just wondering.
    :--)

11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I liked the Pat Sajak show. I thought he was really good. It bombed? i think. But, i enjoyed it. Tom Sneider was really good, to me, and just a unique personality. Just enjoyed him.

Don't get the Jimmy Kimmel thing. He's not anything either way to me. Just another. I didn't like him when he first was on. Just seemed like he didn't care. Now his monologues, so good, writers are great. The show, like the premise for this thread stated, i just don't care about it. Even Conan who i watched from the beginning and was addicted to, now, just can't get into him. All the shows i find similarly uncompelling. Can't say why.

My shows are all gone. Charlie Rose i felt truly, personally hurt. Like a death. Really. Watched him every day. No one i knew or meet, in my cab, dug him. But, after i find out his selfishness and lust for money and just being an a hole to others and the bs with the female interns, so creepy. Just hurt. Like Garrison Keilor i had an image and their shows i reallly loved. I feel personally hurt. Still. Now , they took away my Decades channel on my free atenna lineup. I watched Dick Cavett, Laugh In, Ed Sullivan every day. I'm gonna read more. All my faves are falling away.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I don’t watch any of them anymore.

13. Michael

me neither...they are now platforms.

andrewskyDE, inperson, clhboa and 3 others like this.
  14. Greenalishi

I really liked Costas's show. Seemed like lots of the guests were people he dug. So real interest in them. Some older then obscure people. Seen reruns and they are great. Just him and a guest. A conversation that goes all over. What i really love. That My Dinner with Andre kind of thing. Just a good engaging conversation. Not everyone has it or wants it. I think the statement above, if i get it, is correct. More platform or commercial or pop?

Yea, i remember watching Carson and Letterman toward the end and just seems like it was formulaic half the time. Not always a home run for sure.

15. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Don’t watch any of them any more. I will sometimes watch the Carson reruns.

Watching Johnny is like seeing an old friend. I miss him.

16. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I am quite bored with all of them. I practically RUN for the remote when Jimmy Fallon comes on. I just can't stand the guy. I switch channels as soon as his opening intro piece comes on even before he hits the stage.

17. Greenalishi

Jimmy Fallon has that Kelly and ? Ryan( or whoever is on now) thing of too much phony sweetness, just too much. I bet if you met any of 'em they would be fine to have coffee with but on tv they just try too hard and are too sugary and phony. Terrible to watch. Plastered smiles.

andrewskyDE, RSteven and snowman872 like this.
  18. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I particularly enjoyed the "humor" in his monologue of 9/24/18, didn't you?

RSteven likes this.
  19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Late Night with Conan was the peak for me but it was a different time in my life. It was part of my ritual as a kid to watch Simpsons, Married with Children and Conan before going to bed. Also still followed Conan's show in college but towards the later years and around the time of the Tonight Show swap the magic was gone. Ferguson's show was also pretty funny, but I wasn't quite as into staying up late to watch tv by that point.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Greenalishi likes this.
  20. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I was watching some old Craig Ferguson clips with a friend a couple of weekends ago. Made me miss him so much more. I can't foresee ever being as interested in another late night show as I was in his.

RSteven likes this.
  21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Same here. The ONLY time I watch the pretenders is when they have a musical act I want to see, which means I tune in the last 10 minutes or so. When Carson left, so did I. He was called the king for a reason.

Lightworker, RSteven and RogerB like this.
  22. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Amen RockWizard!!

RSteven likes this.
  23. Michael

?/?/?/?/ ?/?/?/

24. Michael

agree...I'd rather watch a BD. : )

25. Michael