Am I the only one bored with late night talk shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I don't watch any as I'm bored with 50 yr plus format...
    And I can watch something else or something better sleep..

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

ALEC, is big mouth bore.. yawn.. his movie career is finished ..
    Where's trap door when you need one.

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

As befitting his background as a writer, Seth Meyer's show is easily the best written. It's also the least "talk show-y", with no monologue, plus his interview style is the least fanwanking of the group. You burnt!
    But nobody did it like Craigy. His Robin Williams interviews were like watching a hurricane spin up:

slovell, Dave112, BZync and 4 others like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

jimmy kimell means well, he just has trouble holding my interest, his interview skills are poor, at best. he needs to sit down with howard stern and get some lessons on how to do it.

steve colbert is too cerebral sometimes, not that that is a bad thing, but it is late night TV, a little lighter fare would help him immensely, even though i think he is number one now.

jimmy fallon is, in a word........putrid. how long will NBC keep going with his foolishness and asininity. never, in all my years seen anyone as bad as him.

can't comment on the later shows because i can;t stay up that late anymore :(

Mitland likes this.
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Agreed. But I wish you wouldn't be so easy on him.

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Let's see....my choices are Fallon, Colbert, or Kimmel? Click.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what variety! HA!

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I've stumbled on Seth Myers and was pretty shocked at how difficult to watch he is. It's a case where the lower the ratings, the more it helps him, I think. Basically the story of popular culture, right now.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Probably because you don’t agree with his sentiments as of late.

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I never thought Kimmel was funny. Carolla carried The Man Show.

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I don't agree with his sentiments as of late or early. And being a bum doesn't much help his cause.

12. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I watch some of the Carson reruns on Antenna TV. What would be really cool is if Antenna TV followed it up with vintage NBC Letterman and the Tomorrow Show! I'd be in heaven, man! On the other hand, I'd probably get bored of it within a week.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Funny how all the late night talk show hosts spew the same talking points verbatim, huh?

[​IMG]

14. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Gave up on the format after Ferguson called it quits. His was the only show I would watch EVERY night before going to sleep. Cordon is OK...but he is not even a 1/4 of the talent that Ferguson was. My 2 cents.

ArpMoog, showtaper and OldSoul like this.
  15. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Fallon is silly, not funny. Big difference. Kimmel & Colbert are gross. Is Conan even on anymore?

Have to agree with the OP. Carson was multi-dimensional like a great actor. He could make you laugh or cry. What I want from an entertainer is someone on a whole other level than an average Joe. Kimmel is like every loser I hung out with in high school.

EdgardV and klockwerk like this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I'm not positive, but I believe Letterman controls the rights to his NBC show.

Late Night reruns were shown on A&E in the very late '80s and early '90s. Letterman opposed this, and IIRC eventually during contract negotiations w/NBC gained control of his library to stop it.

17. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

They have all become Rude, silly or Very Political.
    The thing is, they "think" this appeals to all people, but they do not realize they are voicing their own hatred, its not funny anymore....

18. Higlander

Craig Ferguson and Jay leno, were the last of the good talk show hosts.

Benno123 likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Carson was bland and formulaic.
    Leno, ditto.
    Letterman took himself far too seriously after leaving NBC and was just bitter and mean.
    Conan is still hilarious after all these years but his earlier shows had more random unexpected silliness which made me laugh more.

Kimmel is funny and since Ferguson left, the most sincere person on live TV but I find his show to be a bit boring and predictable.

Ferguson was insane in a good way. Really too bad he left. Nobody better, IMHO. Hilarious, quickest wit, and smart beyond belief. Guy won a Peabody, too!

OldSoul likes this.
  20. Higlander

Not FOR their opinions, but for them thinking their "opinions" are entertainment, night after night after night after night.... Boring.

21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I don't want to play the nostalgia card and canonize Carson, but he had an ability missing in later hosts -- he let the guest define the interview. He could get ridiculous w/Rickles, intelligently curious w/Sagan, Buckley or Vidal, uncondescendingly interested w/old people or children, etc...

Letterman was the same smarta$$ w/everyone. Leno only cared about the getting to the next joke on his card. As for today's crop...

Motorcity supernaut and EdgardV like this.
  22. I don't recall Carson making me cry. The way Carson has been sainted since his retirement is pretty funny.:laugh:

goodiesguy, Dan C and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Me neither. In fact he never really got very emotional about anything. Even when his son died he was pretty reserved.

That began even before he retired. People realized something was disappearing, compared to the beligerent smartassery of Letterman, the nonstop shtick of Leno and the relentless fawning of Arsenio Hall.

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

???? since? he was pretty much beloved when he was on the air. he was the gold standard much more so than any late night host today. if anything people have kind of forgotten how great he was. for me the all time best was Letterman on Late Night. I never really connected when he switched networks and got the big studio audience. the change in atmosphere and the lack of interesting guests like Brother Theodore, Sandra Bernhardt etc really hurt. I guess he was playing it straight for the masses. but when he was on fire 1982-1988? no one was better (ps lots of the old ones are on utube)

25. Not forgotten on this thread. I watched him for years, you don't have to sell him to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.