DCC Archive Am I the only one having trouble with RTI pressings??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, Nov 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I open my sealed DCC "Never A Dull Moment" (got it this weekend). Side 1 is perfect, side 2 had blemishes in the pressing causing clicks during most of "Angel". Recently, I got "Nick of Time" and "Night at the Opera" (both new/sealed) and they had blemishes and lots of crackle/clicks during several songs. I had them replaced by the store and "NOT" was fine but "Night..." had some blemishes on side two and crackle during the last 3 songs. I've had similair problems with other RTI pressings on the Classic and Mosaic labels. For me (bad luck), I seem to get a lemon 4 out of 10 purchases. I've cleaned them but it's definately defective pressings. Has RTI's QC slipped or is it just my bad karma?? After these experiences, I usually have Red Trumpet, Music Direct, etc. check the pressing before shipping. I think my worst luck was getting MFSL's "Folk Singer" (#109) and noticed after a few playings that the "hole" was slightly off-center. I couldn't get a replacement because it had just gone OOP and the prices sky-rocketed.

Todd

2. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

That's scary cosidering the prices going these days. For some reason my RTF Vol. 5 CD won't play in one of my CD players, but luckily plays just fine in my primary machine.

3. Todd Fredericks

A lesson I've learned from these experiences is to avoid sealed vinyl stuff that is OOP (especially from Ebay). It's a shame because one would expect pristine pressings most of the time but I'm unlucky I guess. America is a shrink-wrap happy country!! Imagine spending tons of $$$ on a rare sealed album (something really, really rare) and it's defective. These recent purchases are really irratating because I know how much work Steve and DCC put into their releases and it's wasted when the pressing plant screws up. I've seen RTI's prices on their website and it's not excusible (I hope they didn't damage the stampers). Also, on both "Night at the Opera" copies their were slight air-bubbles in the paper on the back of the jacket?? Again, I know how much work Steve and DCC put into their product and it's a shame when there are slip-ups... I'm an actor and do lots of mailings (headshots/resumes/etc.) and I put a lot of work into making sure my stuff is clean/organized and sometimes the USPS decides to deliver it to my address instead of the "TO:" address and it looks like it was used as a prop in "Sanford and Son". Thankfully, the majority of my vinyl DCC titles (which keeps growing) are in great shape. I've never had any defects with the DCC CD's (I love them too!).

Todd

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I too had problems with my Rod Stewart "Never A Dull Moment" on RTI LP, side 2. It looks like a scuff, but it doesn't ruin playback one bit (it's across "You Wear It Well").

RTI has had some rough problems in the late 90's but lately as I've bought some Classic Recrods LPs, they look perfect. I just wish RTI or Classic Recs would use rice paper sleeves on their releases. The plastic lined paper sleeves are nice, but they can still scuff up a perfectly beautiful record the first time out of the sleeve. Pretty soon, I'm just going to slit-open and trash them. The static electricity on em is fairly strong, and one particle of dust puts ugly streaks on em.

Hey, it shows how I baby vinyl.

5. Todd Fredericks

The inner bags are not so hot now. I think they stopped using the MFSL type rice bags because supply shot-down.

These bad pressings irratate me because I plunk down $20-30 on a good product and it's damaged because of carelessness at the pressing plant. I shouldn't have to be nervous or extra careful buying a DCC or Classic Records title. It should be rare that this happens but it's happened to me more times than is acceptable and I've heard about other returns for similair reasons. This is obviously not the end of the world but it's annoying.

Todd

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Here's one area where ya can't bitch about mofi. That JVC super vinyl was ALWAYS pristine and quiet. I have NEVER opened a sealed mofi and found a defect. Not with the early vinyl that is. I guess I have to tip my hat to JVC and that wonderful stuff that had back then.

7. Todd Fredericks

Sam,

I agree 1000%. The JVC vinyl was a winner. It's a shame that it can't be leased (the formula) and manufactored (illegal chemicals) in America. I hope RTI improves it's QC. Vinyl is on shaky (or spinning) ground in today's world. Mosaic recently announced they're out of the vinyl business...

Todd

8. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member

I picked up Led Zep II on 180g from Classic, and there is a substantial flaw within the first 30 seconds at the beginning of Side 2 (Heartbreaker). Anyone else notice one? BTW, I picked it up because of the rave reviews the Zep vinyl was getting on the board, but I felt the vinyl sounded only modestly better than the latest Atlantic remasters, and the noisy pressing has pretty much scared me off picking up any of the others...

9. Todd Fredericks

BitShifter,

My copy of Zep 2 sounds fine (no defects). The bumm pressings I've encountered seem to be either on the begining or end of one particular side. It's like a faint smear/drag (not a paper scuff) in the vinyl (as if it happened when they removed the vinyl after pressing/during the cooling period??). Another odd thing with the DCC label vinyl is the DCC label. On some titles the label gets a slight circular rip from the vinyl pushing through. Also, just to clarify something (to be 100% clear). These problems I'm complaining about are not caused by DCC or the quality of their fine product. I know Steve and DCC do everything in their power to make every release top-notch. It's RTI that seems to be slipping with their QC and this problem is happening with other labels (Mosaic/Classic Records/etc.) too. Maybe it's just my luck (sometimes good/sometimes bad)?? I'm just venting because it happened again this weekend on a title that can't be sent back to a store (I got it for a good price at a record fair). I guess I can live with the extra "click" instrument in "Angel"...

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.